PDA

View Full Version : jeep wrangler hard top question

Pages : [1] 2

dad07
03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Hey fellas got a jeep wrangler in the shop with a fiberglass textured hard top.This one should be black but is heavily oxidized. It appears this is flat paint.

Question 1:Need a suggestion what to use on this to get some nourishment back into the paint.

Question 2: What would be a good product to protect this style of top.

Thanks in advance!

dad07
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
:bump2:

Flash Gordon
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Hey fellas got a jeep wrangler in the shop with a fiberglass textured hard top.This one should be black but is heavily oxidized. It appears this is flat paint.

I had an 87 Wrangler. Should've never gotten rid of that one

Question 1:Need a suggestion what to use on this to get some nourishment back into the paint.

Mine was pristine and I've never been asked to polish one out, but I am familiar with the texture you speak of

Question 2: What would be a good product to protect this style of top.

I would hit it with a liquid cleaner wax, or perhaps 205 using a mid grade foam pad or by hand

Thanks in advance!

No problemo. I would do a test area on the very top of the top. This way incase something goes awry, it won't be noticable. That is unless your customer is 7ft tall

Flash Gordon
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
You might also try that heatgun trick

LaTuFu
03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
What year is the wrangler, and which hard top coating does it have? Some have a textured flat coat, and some have a semi-gloss or gloss textured coat.

LaTuFu
03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Here are a couple of test spots on my '02 TJ's top. You can see the oxidation around them. Top area is megs quik spray wax. It cleaned the area okay, but I think it could be better. The bottom is 303. Both areas sat for an hour before the pic. http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6b64044-201d-5f86.jpg

I <3 my Jeep

dad07
03-22-2011, 06:34 PM
No problemo. I would do a test area on the very top of the top. This way incase something goes awry, it won't be noticable. That is unless your customer is 7ft tall

Thanks Flash....he is about 6'8" and carries a gun! so this needs to be right! LOL

What year is the wrangler, and which hard top coating does it have? Some have a textured flat coat, and some have a semi-gloss or gloss textured coat.

flat paint.....textured!

LuxuryMobile
03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Tell him to lose the hard top, Jeeps should be driven without doors and without tops.

dad07
03-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Tell him to lose the hard top, Jeeps should be driven without doors and without tops.

Agreed!........but during the winter months the hard top is on there and he wants it looking good why I don't know cause he uses this for hunting.

dad07
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
still need some help! Nobody has Never detailed one?

ROMEO
03-22-2011, 11:12 PM
How far are you willing to go with it? The only way to really make it look good for a while is to paint it, the good thing is that since it is flat black, they are very easy to paint...

Have you try some PB trim restorer?

LaTuFu
03-23-2011, 06:41 AM
still need some help! Nobody has Never detailed one?

After letting mine sit overnight...I would not suggest the spray wax. After it fully cured you could not tell that it was even applied. The 303 looked great, but I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution.

I was able to work it just fine, the wax did not discolor or chalk the finish. I would think AIO or something similar would be the perfect solution.

dad07
03-23-2011, 06:52 AM
How far are you willing to go with it? The only way to really make it look good for a while is to paint it, the good thing is that since it is flat black, they are very easy to paint...

Have you try some PB trim restorer?

I tried some Mothers back to black on a small spot looks good.......I going to try some UTTG in a little bit as soon as I finish waxing this dually I have in the shop.

Thanks romeo!

Flash Gordon
03-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I tried some Mothers back to black on a small spot looks good.......I going to try some UTTG in a little bit as soon as I finish waxing this dually I have in the shop.

Thanks romeo!

I've already instructed you as to how to handle this. Why don't you trust me :dunno:

Applying a dressing is a waste of time :help:

dad07
03-23-2011, 09:30 AM
I've already instructed you as to how to handle this. Why don't you trust me :dunno:

Applying a dressing is a waste of time :help:

I do Flash was trying to get out easy but am going to try you sugestions except the heat gun.....I'll paint it before I do that!:props: