PDA

View Full Version : Dad-gum extractors ! Little man cant afford it !!

phoneguy44
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Subject: Carpet Extractors

I've done my homework. Searched the threads, googled, called every company I could find.........AND (i saw this in almost every thread) you get what you pay for, I know this.

Are they that expensive to make. I mean geeze man, the little man just cant shell out 7 bones for an extractor and the only alternative is the "Bissell Auto Care Proheat" which doesnt exactly get rave reviews from you guys here. I even went as far to go to Lowes and bought the most expensive Bissell they had/$250 and I wasn't pleased at all, so I took it back (one with the stair attachment).

I guess I'm just upset and need to let it out to some folks who understand or I'm sure "straighten me up." Just spent all my profit so far this year/$650 on polisher and all my other toys and to be "complete" I feel like I need an extractor........who am I kiddin, I know I do. I got two jobs now I'm going to have to turn down cause I know I'm not going to get that nasty carpet clean without one.

Little man cant afford it..........and I believe thats more than 50% of us on here.

Dont chew me out too bad guys, I'm just frustrated, that dollar I make is hard earned.

Dennis
Oxford, AL

DantheMan
03-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Theres a thread over on autopia about a homemade version in the $150-$250 range depending on how you go about doing it. I will be building one soon.

Cruiser57
03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
I've done some very nasty carpets over the past ten years and I have never owned an extractor. It's simple and it works. If you have a Porter Cable polisher you can get a brush attachment for it, get some Resolve Triple Action Carpet Cleaner and some cotton towels. Pre spray your stains with the Resolve and let them sit for a couple of minutes. Come back and spray the area with the Resolve or you can use a less expensive carpet cleaner or apc and save the Resolve for the bad stains and shampoo with your pc. Use the towels to clean up any residue, then vacuum. If its really dirty you may have to go over the area more than once. I hope this helps.:coolgleam:

cobalt9123
03-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I've done some very nasty carpets over the past ten years and I have never owned an extractor. It's simple and it works. If you have a Porter Cable polisher you can get a brush attachment for it, get some Resolve Triple Action Carpet Cleaner and some cotton towels. Pre spray your stains with the Resolve and let them sit for a couple of minutes. Come back and spray the area with the Resolve or you can use a less expensive carpet cleaner or apc and save the Resolve for the bad stains and shampoo with your pc. Use the towels to clean up any residue, then vacuum. If its really dirty you may have to go over the area more than once. I hope this helps.:coolgleam:

:iagree:

You don't necessarily need an extractor to clean some disgusting carpets. It would obviously be much nicer, and easier, but it's not necessary.

Try using the above described method: vacuum, porter cable+carpet attachment+resolve or APC+, then dry it off with some cotton towels or use a wet/dry shop vac to help-- and once you're done with that, put an oscillating fan in there to help with the air flow and a faster dry time. :props:

bhrees
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I too wish they could be found cheaper, with the same results no way as an home enthusiast im dropping that cash as much as i envy the results.

Kristopher1129
03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Just buy a non heated one. Obviously it's tougher to pull out stains. But with the right prep product, and a little scrubbing before hand...you get great results. I used a non heated extractor for years before I got my hands on a heated one.

To be honest...I think the results are pretty close to the same. The heat just comes in handy for particular things like stuff melted into the carpet, winter salt, odors, etc. Other than that...don't underestimate a non heated extractor. You can turn some heads with one, and they're much cheaper! Not to mention, a lot of times you can just fill the reservoir with hot water.

Flash Gordon
03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I thought the only ppl who bought extractors were newbs who didn't know any better

Kristopher1129
03-22-2011, 01:26 PM
I thought the only ppl who bought extractors were newbs who didn't know any better

It's true. That's exactly why I bought one! :dig:

ballfan4141
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
isnt there some vacuum cleaners with the hose attachments that kind of do extracting. I cannot find the exact one though.

Flash Gordon
03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
isnt there some vacuum cleaners with the hose attachments that kind of do extracting. I cannot find the exact one though.

Yes, there called shop vacs. I like the Craftsman 6.5hp model

James K
03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Just a tip on extractors. If you are looking for a used one, contact your local rental facilities such as Subelt Rentals, RSC, United, etc. They sell off old equipment all the time, and you can usually get good prices. If they do not have any, ask them who they send their equipment to for auction. A lot of the old equipment is sent to auction houses as well.

I used to work for rental companies, and have picked up generators, pressure washers and the such for cheap this way.