PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to clean carpets without an extractor?

Rez90
03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm planning on doing a lot of detailling this summer as i'm already getting calls from family and friends. The one major component i don't have is an extractor for interior carpets.

For those of you who don't have this magical device....what do you use to clean carpets with?

OHSNAP
03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
What the heck is an extractor? I just use my hands, brush, and cleaner. :doh:

DLB
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Lots of terry towels, various brushes (size/stifness/bristle material), plenty of APC+, clean water, and a wet vac. Oh, and stamina.

DLB

ShaunD
03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Look into the DP carpet extractor pretreatment. It works as good as the more expensive stuff and has way less sudsing which will make for easier vacuuming without an actual extractor. Like stated you will need plenty of terry cloth towels and various brushes. I used a spray bottle with hot water in it to hit the stubborn stuff after the pretreatment sits for several minutes. I would suggest using a towel to absorb the initial grime/gunk that comes up from what ever cleaner you choose, then the spot with some hot water. lightly scrub w/ brush let sit a minute then suck up. Pat dry w/ towel after vacuuming and see if you need to repeat the process. Don't go crazy w/ cleaner, it just means more vacuuming to get it out of the carpet. The best way is to do 2-3 cleanings/vacuuming to make sure you remove as much dirt/grime and cleaning agent so you are not just scrubbing the stuff back into the carpet. I know I probably made that as clear as mud. The main key is to give the cleaner time to work before removing it. The white terry towel will be the judge of how well your process works. Make sure you pull up trim pieces cover stains if possible so the stuff under the trim doesn't just get wet and absorb into the carpet you just cleaned. This also helps the carpet/padding dry out quicker as well. Let me recommend you invest in a $100 or less Bissell or Hoover, or something close to equal, if you plan of doing a lot of interior cleanings or any amount of really dirty interiors. I just did my friends Tahoe and a Bissell LGM/AutoPro would have saved a lot of time and pretreatment solution, and towels. There has a been some praise on here about the Bissell's LGM's, so I think I will be investing in one soon. Wish you well on your cleaning adventure and hope this was of some help/insight.:)