PDA

View Full Version : Question For Those Who Mix Products

Waxmax
12-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I know some mix different polishes/glazes/compounds together. Generally the idea is to generate longer working times or to change the abrasive level.

My question: do you mix them on the pad or do you take a separate bottle and mix it there. I'm thinking of adding some RMG to polish "X" and was wondering. Thanks.

supercharged
12-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I never mixes polishes before, but think that it is a good idea to have a separate bottle and to mix it in there. Shake it very well.

Surfer
12-29-2006, 12:35 PM
With Optimum Compound and Polish what I do is sometimes just put a couple drops of each on the pad and go to work. Cuts great and finishes down like a final polish, excellent combo. On autopia there are a lof of guys who will mix RMG with some polishes/compounds to get longer working times and nice finishing down, RMG mixes were usually in seperate bottles....for example 25%RMG 75% Menzerna etc.

Gary Sword
12-29-2006, 12:39 PM
If I was going to mix products I would also mix it in a separate bottle and not on the pad. Try asking Totoland Mach. He is a great detailer and mentioned mixing products on one of his threads today.

abrcrombe
12-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Definitely bottles. What are you planning on mixing because not everything works.

Waxmax
12-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks Gary. I see Totoland's post in the Show'N Shine...he mixed XMT1 and OC on the pad. I do guess mixing in a bottle would make the most consistent combo.

supercharged
12-29-2006, 06:58 PM
With Optimum Compound and Polish what I do is sometimes just put a couple drops of each on the pad and go to work. Cuts great and finishes down like a final polish, excellent combo. On autopia there are a lof of guys who will mix RMG with some polishes/compounds to get longer working times and nice finishing down, RMG mixes were usually in seperate bottles....for example 25%RMG 75% Menzerna etc.
Which Menzerna product you were mixing it with? FPII?

Totoland Mach
12-30-2006, 06:04 AM
I just mixed the Optimum with XMT-1 "on the pad" for some long working time on a very difficult scratch. I'd say that method worked for me in that particular instance and I doubt if I would mix the 2 products in a bottle for future working. Simply, I made an "X" with Optimum and put 4 nickel sized blobs of XMT in the X.

I haven't tried other combo's because the products work well individually for 95% of my process. This was an unusual problem and the owner had written off the scratch as "unfixable"....but I wanted to try one more time.

Toto

justin_murphy
12-30-2006, 07:25 AM
I mix in a bottle. My Poli-Seal/Optimum Polish mix was first attempted on the pad. I then went to a 8oz. clear bottle. Fillied it up 25% of the way with polish then the rest with Poli-Seal.

Hence, 75/25.

Surfer
12-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Which Menzerna product you were mixing it with? FPII?No not me lol, I meant on the other board people were mixing RMG with different Menzerna polishes, seems to be a popular combo over there.

supercharged
12-30-2006, 12:50 PM
No not me lol, I meant on the other board people were mixing RMG with different Menzerna polishes, seems to be a popular combo over there.
I see. Which combos did they use? Do you remember? I just came back from Wally World, bought some 4 oz empty sample bottles (they were 50 cents each), and wanted to try different combos.

Surfer
12-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I see. Which combos did they use? Do you remember? I just came back from Wally World, bought some 4 oz empty sample bottles (they were 50 cents each), and wanted to try different combos.If you search on there for RMG, or Optimum, Menzerna mixes etc. You'll find a bunch of post with different combos, most popular seems to be RMG mixed with various Menzerna polishes.

supercharged
12-31-2006, 01:54 AM
If you search on there for RMG, or Optimum, Menzerna mixes etc. You'll find a bunch of post with different combos, most popular seems to be RMG mixed with various Menzerna polishes.
Thanks, I will.

Pats300zx
12-31-2006, 07:44 AM
If you search on there for RMG, or Optimum, Menzerna mixes etc. You'll find a bunch of post with different combos, most popular seems to be RMG mixed with various Menzerna polishes.

I think one of the more popular combos was Menzerna PO10FF and RMG mixed 75%-25%

Surfer
12-31-2006, 08:01 AM
I think one of the more popular combos was Menzerna PO10FF and RMG mixed 75%-25%Yeh that one sticks out