PDA

View Full Version : My first love gets some care

memphisraines26
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I bought a 96 Acura 2.5TL in 99 as a previously leased car. I was 18 and that it was the sweetest thing on the road. I spent a lot of wheel time in that car. Then in 2005, when my moms car was giving out, I let her have it. She spent some cash on maintenance but way less than a car payment of a new car. I moved away and 2 years ago she got a new van. I had to wait 2 years for various life trials to go the 500 miles to bring her home.

I was young when I owned the car and didn't know a lot about good detailing. I knew that auto wash's were the devil and always hand washed it about once a week. I waxed it about once a year with whatever dad had by hand.

I know have really started to dig into detailing and want to do it for spare cash from home. I am in the middle of redoing the garage with plenty of light, outlets, and clean paint. I bought a Griots Garage polisher and some basics. I'll have to check but I think I have a Red, Orange, and White pads. Some M1, M2, and SSR2 products. I know I need to expand but funds aren't there yet and needed to get some basics.

I did a quick hand wash with Meguiar's Soap and Wash Mitt. It got the dust off from sitting for so long and the road dirt. I then spent 1.5hrs last night going over square inch with clay bar. ( I don't know when the clay should be replaced) I now will give it a good 2 bucket wash to clean it off again and need to inspect where to start next.

The car is pretty good shape. A few nicks in paint, silver dollar size rust bubble near rear bumper, and few spots on bumper from other car contacts.

So after this novel, I'm here to get advice on next step to clean up this daily driver.

Shane731
03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
The title of your thread reminded me of a song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2PEf-7EIU]YouTube - ~~ First Love ~ Alan Jackson ~~[/video]

memphisraines26
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
anyone have any suggestions for next steps?

embolism
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
take care of the rust with some rust converter/destroyer (I forget the brand the guys on here recommend but it's made by Eastwood). Depending on how good you want it to look, you can then do some touchup/wetsanding, get it resprayed etc.

As for buffing, I'd use what you have. Do various test spots to see how aggressive you need to go for the difft levels of defects on your car. Don't know anything about M1, M2 or the Poorboys compounds so I won't comment. If you want other options then the Megs Ultimate line is a good OTC option that won't break the bank and will give you good results. Happy trails.