PDA

View Full Version : 3m Fill n Glaze Pink 05977

70chevelle
03-21-2011, 08:52 AM
As the title says, I have a bottle that I used (a long time ago) on a 1993 Camaro. I remember it being recommended and doing a good job. The back story is that I bought a 2005 black Mercedes E320 CDI in October. It was a highway car and has chipping on the hood that I need to address. It was probably run thru car washes throughout it's life before me. What I'm looking at is to have it look "more" presentable, as it looks pretty good right now. I plan on ordering a chip kit from Dr ColorChip that I've read good things about. Before that, I plan on removing all the wax/sealants to get a good bond, which will probably be done with a good wash with Dawn or Joy, followed by a wipedown with PrepSol (wax/grease remover) where the chips are located. Fix the chips and let cure. Then I planned on glazing and waxing with Collinite Insulator Wax. I found that my car has the Ceramic clear coat, which is supposed to be very hard. I'm not proficient with a buffer, and don't want to learn on this particular car, although I do have a Makita 9227 and the appropriate pads. So, the question, after the long back story, is the 3m Fill n Glaze worth using for this application, (minor scratches, spiderwebs etc) since I have it and it's worked well in the past? I see it's no longer available, and there is little info that I've found searching here and the net. If this is bad, or not appropriate for my cars finish, I planned on ordering Poor Boy Blackhole Glaze, but don't want to if I don't have to.:props: Thanks!

Flash Gordon
03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
As the title says, I have a bottle that I used (a long time ago) on a 1993 Camaro. I remember it being recommended and doing a good job. The back story is that I bought a 2005 black Mercedes E320 CDI in October. It was a highway car and has chipping on the hood that I need to address. It was probably run thru car washes throughout it's life before me. What I'm looking at is to have it look "more" presentable, as it looks pretty good right now. I plan on ordering a chip kit from Dr ColorChip that I've read good things about. Before that, I plan on removing all the wax/sealants to get a good bond, which will probably be done with a good wash with Dawn or Joy, followed by a wipedown with PrepSol (wax/grease remover) where the chips are located. Fix the chips and let cure. Then I planned on glazing and waxing with Collinite Insulator Wax. I found that my car has the Ceramic clear coat, which is supposed to be very hard. I'm not proficient with a buffer, and don't want to learn on this particular car, although I do have a Makita 9227 and the appropriate pads. So, the question, after the long back story, is the 3m Fill n Glaze worth using for this application, (minor scratches, spiderwebs etc) since I have it and it's worked well in the past? I see it's no longer available, and there is little info that I've found searching here and the net. If this is bad, or not appropriate for my cars finish, I planned on ordering Poor Boy Blackhole Glaze, but don't want to if I don't have to.:props: Thanks!

Unless your planing to continue the weekly swirl-a-matic ritual the car is accustomed to I would avoid a glaze all together. Hit that bad boy with some Megs 105 or Menzerna SIP

As far as this pink wax you have, I have never personably used that brand, but am highly suspicious my local dealer has the same stuff with a diffent label. Its a decent cleaner wax, but doesn't have the bite for correction. There are better choices

Good luck :buffing:

Mike Phillips
03-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Then I planned on glazing and waxing with Collinite Insulator Wax. I found that my car has the Ceramic clear coat, which is supposed to be very hard. I'm not proficient with a buffer, and don't want to learn on this particular car, although I do have a Makita 9227 and the appropriate pads.

So, the question, after the long back story, is the 3m Fill n Glaze worth using for this application, (minor scratches, spiderwebs etc) since I have it and it's worked well in the past?

I see it's no longer available, and there is little info that I've found searching here and the net. If this is bad, or not appropriate for my cars finish, I planned on ordering Poor Boy Blackhole Glaze, but don't want to if I don't have to.:props: Thanks!

If you just want to fill or mask the defects then you can use a glaze like you already have and then wax over it and this will help to hide the swirls and scratches.

If you want to actually remove them then you'll want to first use a product with some correcting ability like was mentioned the M105 or Menzerna Super Intensive Polish, both work well, the Menzerna is a lot easier to work with but doesn't have the potential to be as aggressive as the M105.

Removing swirls means removing paint.

You must do this in a controlled manner so the end result looks beautiful. The two most popular ways to remove swirls without using a rotary buffer would be to use a Flex 3401 or a tool like either the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher or the Porter Cable 7424XP, these last two tools are the same "type" of tool but the Griot's has more power to keep the pad rotating and it's only when the pad is rotating that it is effectively removing paint or in other words, effectively removing swirls.

I posted some videos and links to your "Intro Thread" here,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/33840-hello-pa.html

Check out this thread,

Products used on Motorhead Garage Episode 1107 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/33373-products-used-motorhead-garage-episode-1107-a.html)

And specifically this TV show video from Motorhead Garage with Sam Memmolo and Dave Bowman...

Here's the link to Episode 1107, the section on polishing paint starts at the 6:50 time mark, which is after the segment on the carburetors.

Click to Watch Motorhead Garage Episode 1107 (http://www.mastersstorage.com/vault/garage1107.wmv)

As it does a good job of showing how safe and effective the DA style tools are...

The Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover I used on that TV show also works very well for removing swirls and scratches out of clear coats. Just about any of the premium products on Autogeek.net will work.

:)

Mike Phillips
03-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Check out these threads...

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25226-proof-you-can-do-joe-detailer-black-porsche-turned-into-black-pearl.html)

How To Remove Horrible Rotary Buffer Swirl Marks out of a 350Z using the Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21413-horrible-swirl-marks.html)

Lessons I learned from a Black 2009 BMW 550i (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/33599-lessons-i-learned-black-2009-bmw-550i.html)

:)

70chevelle
03-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Mike thanks for the welcome, direction, and compliments on the Chevelle!

I checked out the threads you linked, the 350Z looked excellent. I'm considering the PC or the Griots RO, but I need to accumulate a few more Amex points.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were to do the chip repair, clay bar, glaze and wax, I can always do a "proper" buffing in the future with no ill effects, correct? The reason I'm considering the "easy way", is that I'm more of a painter than a detailer, and I feel a repaint would be the only way to make it look like the Z. This is my daily driver, so if it's a 5 footer, I'll be ok. Also, I don't have an issue learning to use my Makita on my '03 Durango. Theres a good bit of real estate to it, and it could use a little makeover. Maybe I'll be ready to attack the Benz before fall?

Flash Gordon
03-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Mike thanks for the welcome, direction, and compliments on the Chevelle!

I checked out the threads you linked, the 350Z looked excellent. I'm considering the PC or the Griots RO, but I need to accumulate a few more Amex points.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were to do the chip repair, glaze and wax, I can always do a "proper" buffing in the future with no ill effects, correct? The reason I'm considering the "easy way", is that I'm more of a painter than a detailer, and I feel a repaint would be the only way to make it look like the Z. This is my daily driver, so if it's a 5 footer, I'll be ok. Also, I don't have an issue learning to use my Makita on my '03 Durango. Theres a good bit of real estate to it, and it could use a little makeover. Maybe I'll be ready to attack the Benz before fall?

My names not Mike, but I will try to help you.

If there are more then a dozen chips on your frontend, and considering you have painting expierence, I would repaint/blend the entire front clip

If you choose to go the repair/glaze route, there will be no ill effects should you later choose to do a full correction

70chevelle
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
My names not Mike, but I will try to help you.

If there are more then a dozen chips on your frontend, and considering you have painting expierence, I would repaint/blend the entire front clip

If you choose to go the repair/glaze route, there will be no ill effects should you later choose to do a full correction

Thanks "Flash"- not Mike! Yes, the frontend has more than a dozen chips. I knew I may be doing some painting and paid accordingly. Again, not a show car, so if I can avoid the expense and still have it look nice, I'll be happy. Thanks for the input!