PDA

View Full Version : Sealant,which one?

Pages : [1] 2

echosierra3
03-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Just got a 2003 light beige Deville, paint is in really good shape. I am going to wash it, clay it, polish it, and then seal it, by hand. Originally was going to go with Poor Boys, but after researching sealants I am more confused than ever on which to go with and am now leaning towards Wolfgang stuff. So Detailer's pro, Menzerna, Klasse, Wolfgang, Opti Seal, et al, my head is spinnin. How does a new guy figure out what to go with? Salt air, extreme heat, and lots of rain are common here in West Florida. I know opinions vary and personal favorites abound but,could I do better than just going with Wolfgang, or can the pros suggest something else.

Flash Gordon
03-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Menzerna Power Lock Sealant

SeaJay's
03-21-2011, 08:36 AM
The Wolfgang 3.0 is a great sealant so you wouldn't be going wrong using this.

I personally like the Menz Powerlock, but this is my personal preference. I think both products are very good and top notch.

I also prefer to top my sealants with a wax after the sealant has cured. Sealants have the durability but they tend to lack the glow, depth, and luster that a quality wax can give you. A good quality wax that you can use on top of your sealant (if you wish to go this route) would be Collinite 845. Gives your great durablity, nice look and great protection.

James K
03-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I understand your west Florida weather problem. I use many different products on my car as LSP's. One of my favorites is Opti-seal topped with Dodo Supernatural.

M0nk3y
03-21-2011, 09:33 AM
The Wolfgang 3.0 is a great sealant so you wouldn't be going wrong using this.

I personally like the Menz Powerlock, but this is my personal preference. I think both products are very good and top notch.

I also prefer to top my sealants with a wax after the sealant has cured. Sealants have the durability but they tend to lack the glow, depth, and luster that a quality wax can give you. A good quality wax that you can use on top of your sealant (if you wish to go this route) would be Collinite 845. Gives your great durablity, nice look and great protection.

I've used Wolfgang 3.0 PS for about a year now with no complaints.

BobbyG
03-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Menzerna Power Lock Sealant

My personal favorite! :dblthumb2:

ScubaCougr
03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
What turned you off Poorboys?

FWIW, I live in the very rainy Pacific Northwest and my hand-applied EX has lasted all winter. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the brands mentioned. Anything at AG will be miles above off-the-shelf.

richy
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Duragloss 105. Even available OTC.

rwright
03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Duragloss 105. Even available OTC.

:iagree::whs:x2 :dblthumb2: If it holds up against road salt and automatic car wash detergents, I'm certain it will hold up against your weather.

OHSNAP
03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
I've only used Opti-Seal and Poorboy's EX Sealant, Poorboy's EX Sealant looked like it has more 'glow' and 'warmth' than Opti-Seal (OS is a pure sealant with no covering/correcting abilities). I like Opti-Seal for its ease of use and that fact that it only takes 10-20 mins to do a car. I like the Poorboy's too cause it has the look of wax (contains some wax). BFWD is the next sealant that I am going to try. I've heard good things about Menzerna Powerlock also.

Dr Oldz
03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I personally like the Wolfgang and Ultima paint guard plus. But it is a person preference. All the choices mentioned are good quality products. I would suggest looking at the samples here on the autogeek site as you can buy products in small quantity and not break your wallet. That way you can find a sealant you like for yourself. Most samples are enough sealant to do 3+ vehicles also.

Shawn T.
03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Meguiars Ultimate Wax

Croftgate USA Quick & Slick

Matt
03-22-2011, 12:55 AM
WG DGPS 3.0 is very nice although durability is not the best if you live in a rainy area. I find that road dirt on the side of the car washed up by rain seems to shorten the life dramatically.

Ultima PGP is easy to use, very durable, very slick and very glossy plus it works out cheap as well when you factor in how much of the bottle it takes to cover a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors

tchtax
03-22-2011, 02:06 AM
WG DGPS 3.0 is very nice although durability is not the best if you live in a rainy area. I find that road dirt on the side of the car washed up by rain seems to shorten the life dramatically.

Agree with you Matt. I live in tropical Asia and its been raining 30% of the time since I applied WGDPS (1st week of Feb). Applied 2 layers of Fuzion with it. Rooftop of my car are showing signs of sheeting instead of the beautiful beads when I first applied it. Maybe I should wax the car more often like once a month.

MI Mike
03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
:iagree::whs:x2 :dblthumb2: If it holds up against road salt and automatic car wash detergents, I'm certain it will hold up against your weather.

The Duragloss 105/601 Combo, but with any Collinte product who needs a sealant !!!
:iagree: