PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning old microfiber towels

rockford33
03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I searched and couldn't find anything, but I was just wondering what is the best way for my situation.

I only detail my own car, and sometime I get to the wife's car too. I don't use a ton of microfiber towels since I am only doing 2 cars, so when they get dirty, they tend to sit around for quite some time before I have a full enough load for the small setting on my washer.

Should I do something with the towels since they can sometimes sit around for a few months (I don't get to detail as much as I used to or would like to)? They don't seem to get real clean when I do wash them (currently using Pinnacle Microfiber Wash, but it is almost gone. Anything better out there I could order?) and I wonder if it because they sit for so long. Should I soak them in a bucket of water/APC mix to loosen the dirt and then wring them out and let them dry until the next time I have a whole load to do? Or would the dirt just stick again once they have dried before I get a chance to toss them in the wash?

Thanks,
Neil

Street Rat
03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I use the DP microfiber cleaner. I let mine soak in a five gallon bucket of solution until I wash them. This seems to work well until I get a wash load together. I wouldn't let them dry out after soaking.

rockford33
03-20-2011, 11:17 AM
I use the DP microfiber cleaner. I let mine soak in a five gallon bucket of solution until I wash them. This seems to work well until I get a wash load together. I wouldn't let them dry out after soaking.

How long do they end up soaking sometimes? I have some towels from November (last detail just before winter set in) that are still sitting in my garage....

And do you cover the bucket so gunk, mold, etc. don't start to set in? Or change it periodically to "freshen" the soak water?

Thanks,
Neil

dan_s2k
03-20-2011, 11:18 AM
and with this week special you can have 3x32onz for 19.99 of dp mf cleaner :O

rockford33
03-20-2011, 11:21 AM
and with this week special you can have 3x32onz for 19.99 of dp mf cleaner :O

The DP cleaner didn't seem to get good reviews on the AG site though (3 out of 5 stars), so I wasn't sure about it. But 96 oz. for $20 might be too good to pass up even if it doesn't work the best :xyxthumbs:

-Neil

Street Rat
03-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I usually let mine soak uncovered for two weeks at the longest. I haven't had any cleaning issues with the DP product. I throw a variety of chemical residues at it. Just don't put anything greasy in with your lightly soiled cloths. That is quite a deal on the cleaner. I may have to jump in on that! :dblthumb2:

RTexasF
03-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I soak mine in Oxyclean & water until I get around to them. That may be a few days or two weeks later. Wash in machine with Charlie's Soap.
I suggest you wash them more often than every few months unless you enjoy buying new ones often.

rockford33
03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I soak mine in Oxyclean & water until I get around to them. That may be a few days or two weeks later. Wash in machine with Charlie's Soap.
I suggest you wash them more often than every few months unless you enjoy buying new ones often.

Problem is, I may only have 6 or 7 towels to wash after a couple of weeks. I don't really want to have to run the washer when the dirty towels will barely cover the bottom of the washer...

Maybe the problem is that I need to detail more, so more dirty towels.....:buffing:

IID
03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Problem is, I may only have 6 or 7 towels to wash after a couple of weeks. I don't really want to have to run the washer when the dirty towels will barely cover the bottom of the washer...

Maybe the problem is that I need to detail more, so more dirty towels.....:buffing:

Maybe if you pretreat the dirty towels by spraying them with Microfiber cleaner when your done using them (while they sit before washing),so the dirt/stains don't set in would help?

Matt575
03-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Has anyone used Dreft to wash them?

Matt
03-26-2011, 03:23 AM
I like Micro Restore (http://www.autogeek.net/mr32.html). I also have the Pinnacle detergent and I don't find it does a very good job.

I had two 32oz bottles of it and ordered a gallon at the same time I ordered some bogo Micro Restore, as I didn't realise how well the Micro Restore worked. I wish I'd ordered a gallon of Micro Restore rather than the Pinnacle.

05RLS2
03-29-2011, 12:05 AM
I have been using the Micro Restore also. It works well on my microfibers that see polishes and waxes, and breaks down any product left on the towels. Now if you have microfibers that are heavily dirty with grease and grime, I have found that it doesn't work all that great at totally removing these stains from the towels. Next time I will probably try the DP microfiber cleaner to see if it is any better

ShaunD
03-29-2011, 12:30 AM
You guys letting your towels soak so long you could just hand wash them.:) With the water you are using to soak them you might save some by just washing them in the machine. It will save you MF detergent and they will probably get cleaner in a small load. The washer probably takes less energy to run than the lights in the rooms you use to run water to soak the towels, and the hot water heater running if you are using warm/hot water to soak the towels. Soakings good and recommended, especially if the towels are heavily soiled. Otherwise they can be done in the washer on the soak setting, then turn it right to the delicate cycle. It's kinda like soak your dishes, washing them by hand, then putting them in the dishwasher.:)
Oh, and DP MF detergent is great stuff. For about two hands full of towels use at least 1.5oz of detergent to soak. And at least 2oz to wash; if you didn't soak then maybe a little more. Happy washing.;)

jimmyjam
03-29-2011, 03:47 AM
I go through quite a bit of towels daily so my situations different, but I put mine inside a plastic bag to protect them from debris/dirt. Being what they are they tend to attract everything that hurt a 6hour paint correction later IMO.

Trevor
03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I know what you are saying about washing small amounts of towels. I separate my MF towels into different groups, each with their own plastic tub w/lid. One yellow mf for polishing, one blue for windows, one stained group for tires/gunky stuff, one for interior.

I wash each of these groups separately. For normal cleaning I use a "free and clear" laundry detergent, hot water, and add a couple ounces or so of white vinegar to the rinse. I use the max extract setting, hottest water, and then add and extra rinse cycle as we have hard water with a softener and I really want to make sure the residue is out.

Periodically I will use the Microrestore stuff, although to be honest I didn't see much difference between that and the other method I was using.

I do all of that even if I only have 10-15 towels in the machine. I figure I shucked out all that money for a HE machine...it shouldn't be costing me that much to run a few loads per month like this.