PDA

View Full Version : Concours Auto Salon: Cayman custom engine paint and LEDs

Anthony Orosco
03-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Hello people, after our last Porsche Cayman engine we were contacted by another Cayman owner wanting some custom painting, install lights and then all covered up with a HIP Designs clear cover.

We were also going to do a makeover on his brake calipers and some interior pieces but they decided to just do the engine for now. I don't have a great many pictures for this one as our week was extremely busy so I had to get right down to it.

With each engine makeover we do we seek to make each one different.....the concept is the same but the outcome or results we want to be unique so if two clients happen to be at the same event they won't be caught wearing "the same dress" so to speak.

This was the engine area prior to being paint but about half way through the cleaning/detailing stage.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/BlkCymnEngb4.jpg

That's the only "before" picture I have re-sized at the moment, sorry.

On this particular Cayman engine we removed a good portion of the intake pieces, we went with a silver, red and white scheme and red and white LEDs.

Center piece was painted a metallic silver, intake caps painted red with the PORSCHE logos painted with a pearl white. Metal pieces polished all nice and pretty. HIP Designs cover piece installed and here are the results.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/BlkCymnEngHip2.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/BlkCymnEngHIPcvr.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/BlkCymnEngLEDs.jpg

Well thats all she wrote on this one. The client was super happy with the results which makes all the work worthwhile.

Thanks for looking,
Anthony

C. Charles Hahn
03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Awesome work as usual, Anthony! :props:

Just curious, what do you use for masking when painting the lettering on those intake caps? Or do you do it freehand with a brush?

Anthony Orosco
03-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Awesome work as usual, Anthony! :props:

Just curious, what do you use for masking when painting the lettering on those intake caps? Or do you do it freehand with a brush?

Hey, thank you :xyxthumbs:

The top pieces have the PORSCHE inset into the plastic caps. so we can do them several ways. They can be painted your base color first and then custom molds placed over them and used as a mask then paint your second color, in this case the red. You can also fill in the insets with an epoxy and then use a stencil set to paint the PORSCHE logos on the tops. A third method is to first paint your primary color, say red, then use a syringe to fill in the PORSCHE insets.

In all cases it's time consuming!

Anthony

WRAPT C5Z06
03-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Bad a$$!!!!!!!!!!! :props:

SRHTX
03-20-2011, 09:14 AM
As always, very nice work Anthony. :props:

Audi X2
03-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Beautiful!

C. Charles Hahn
03-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey, thank you :xyxthumbs:

The top pieces have the PORSCHE inset into the plastic caps. so we can do them several ways. They can be painted your base color first and then custom molds placed over them and used as a mask then paint your second color, in this case the red. You can also fill in the insets with an epoxy and then use a stencil set to paint the PORSCHE logos on the tops. A third method is to first paint your primary color, say red, then use a syringe to fill in the PORSCHE insets.

In all cases it's time consuming!

Anthony

Interesting ideas, some of which I hadn't thought of before. Thanks!

I've done similar work before but when I did, it was all by hand with a small artist's brush. Talk about tedious!

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/I6_engine.JPG

Not the best pic, but you get the idea.

Anthony Orosco
03-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Bad a$$!!!!!!!!!!! :props:

Thank You....I really liked the outcome on this one, but then again I am biased:xyxthumbs:

As always, very nice work Anthony. :props:

Hey thanks Steve, hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Beautiful!

Mucho appreciated!

Interesting ideas, some of which I hadn't thought of before. Thanks!

I've done similar work before but when I did, it was all by hand with a small artist's brush. Talk about tedious!

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/I6_engine.JPG

Not the best pic, but you get the idea.

That looks very nice....good detail and color scheme.

Ya know good ol rubber cement works as a nice masking agent in many cases because it can simply be rubbed away when finished. So if taping is sometimes an issue in tight areas try some rubber cement. Although some solvent based products will eat the cement so I only use it with water based products.

Anthony

SRHTX
03-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey thanks Steve, hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Anthony

Sureeee.......... You guys are lucky and don't have to hear about drug cartel this and drug cartel that every freaking day. ugh.... I do need to go up there and look at getting myself a Mazda Speed 3 instead of my '08 Mazda 3s GT. So, watch out for me sneaking in at your shop. Im the MAN

Pats300zx
03-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Beautiful work Anthony !!!!

jlb85
03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Not only is it a great job, the overall design is fantastic and plays with the Porsche very well. I would love to see more shots, though! Like a rolling shot with the LEDs on and shining through. That clear engine cover is icing on the cake!

Rsurfer
03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Awesome work Anthony!

Anthony Orosco
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Beautiful work Anthony !!!!

Hey Pats, thank you. Hope you're doing well these days.

Not only is it a great job, the overall design is fantastic and plays with the Porsche very well. I would love to see more shots, though! Like a rolling shot with the LEDs on and shining through. That clear engine cover is icing on the cake!

I really appreciate that, thank you. Pay attention to the thread and I'll update some more pictures soon.

Awesome work Anthony!

Well thank you sir:props:

Anthony