PDA

View Full Version : Right or Wrong?

CurlyCara
03-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Ive never done paint correction. Yes ive worked out a few swirls, scratches, and so forth by hand using a compound. I just want to make sure my steps are correct. Ill try to add products to make this as complete as possible. This is stuff ive been wondering about since i joined the forums.

Start off by Washing. Dawn/Chemical Guys if needing to strip. Otherwise a Regular, ONR, or Waterless Wash.
Next Clay if need be. Hand test or Baggy Test can be done to determine.

Neglected Paint:
1.Wet sand if need be.
2.Then compound using M105 (try and use the least amount of aggressivnes possible) and then follow with a finsihing product like M205.
3.Apply a glaze like Wolfgang finishing glaze, or Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7.
4.Then if decided follow with a Paint Sealant like Optimum Opti-Seal (what are some other sealants other then Opti-Seal and Klasse?).
5.After your Sealant's curing period, follow with a wax, Collinite, Natty's Blue, or Souveran.
6.Then follow with a Spray Wax if desired like Duragloss Aquawax.
7.Followed by a good quick detailer like Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine.

Moderate Imperfections:
The same as above except for you probably wont do #1 unless its spot treatment, plus you probably wont compound unless it spot treatment, you'll probably use a swirl remover and finishing polish like the Pinnacle Twins or Wolfgang Duo. Followed by the steps 3-7 from above.

Good Condition:
1. Use a Prewax Cleansing Polish like XMT 360 (what are some other ones?) followed by steps 3-7 from above

Now for some clarity if you could. How does Klasse work?

At what steps would I follow? after I finish polishing after my compound or swirl removal would I use the Klasse AIO, then follow it with a glaze like Wolfgang, then use the Klasse Sealant? Is it ok to use a glaxe in between them? Is that where I would start the klasse process after the corrections?

If im wrong please correct me.
Thanks guys.

john b
03-19-2011, 01:53 AM
wolfgang finishing glaze is actually a finishing polish like the megs 205,also some will use klasse all in one prior to a sealeant-if you did go that route you could elimanate a glaze plus the klasse aio is on bogo. as far as sealeants i would stick with klasse if you were goin to use there aio

CurlyCara
03-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Ok so I wouldnt use a glaze in between the klasse pair? Ok so what are some true glazes then?

Dr Oldz
03-19-2011, 02:20 AM
My opinions

First if polishing or wet sanding, I don't bother trying to strip the wax or whatever is on the paint because it will be mechanically abraided away!

Neglected paint:
1 Use caution wet sanding-try to pick up scrap panels from a junkyard and practice
2 Thats ok, but if following wet sanding, you are going to want to be pretty aggressive....wool pad with 105
3 WG finishing glaze is actually a mechanical polish. Megs is a pure chemical polish with no abrasives basically designed for SS paint, not so much for CC but it will hide swirls on CC. But if step 2 is done properly, u won't need to fill in swirles.
4 Sealants, I like UPGP and WG DGPS
5 Correct
6&7 not now, after next wash. I feel the paint should be in the best condition after step 5
Moderate: Follow above with doing a test spot to find how agressive u need to be

Good condition: either a chemical polish with no abrasives like Pinnacle PCL or P21s Gloss enhancer or a finishing polish with abrasives such as 205 WG FG. Follow with wax/sealant for these or u can use an all in one like 360, megs 151, Dodo NFS.

As for Klasse...Personally not a fan.

Just my opinions here but i hope it helps!

john b
03-19-2011, 02:55 AM
i like your advice dr.

BobbyG
03-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Ive never done paint correction. Yes ive worked out a few swirls, scratches, and so forth by hand using a compound. I just want to make sure my steps are correct. Ill try to add products to make this as complete as possible. This is stuff ive been wondering about since i joined the forums.

Start off by Washing. Dawn/Chemical Guys if needing to strip. Otherwise a Regular, ONR, or Waterless Wash.
Next Clay if need be. Hand test or Baggy Test can be done to determine.

Hi Cara,

A complete wash is always a great way to start. Dawn is one of those products that does a nice job cleaning the paint making it ready for claying.

In my opinion, claying once or twice annually is an important step in maintaining a finish.

Neglected Paint:
1.Wet sand if need be.

Since you're just starting out, I'd recommend you saving this step for use something down the road. Clear coats, or paint in general, are applied so thin you can easily sand through before you realize it.

2.Then compound using M105 (try and use the least amount of aggressivnes possible) and then follow with a finsihing product like M205.

Yes. It's always wise to start off with the least aggressive approach. Meguiar's M205 is a nice product that finishes well giving you that mirror finish

3.Apply a glaze like Wolfgang finishing glaze, or Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7.

Glazes are used to temporarily fill minor imperfections. On their own they offer no protective properties and should be covered with a sealant or wax.

4.Then if decided follow with a Paint Sealant like Optimum Opti-Seal (what are some other sealants other then Opti-Seal and Klasse?).

Sealants are nothing more than synthetic wax. Today's sealants have come a long way and in many cases outlast the protectiveness of Carnauba.

I really like sealants and always apply them and once they're cured / dried properly add a wax, something like Collinite 845. This combination gives you both depth and long lasting protection something a daily driver really appreciates.

5.After your Sealant's curing period, follow with a wax, Collinite, Natty's Blue, or Souveran.

Yes!

6.Then follow with a Spray Wax if desired like Duragloss Aquawax.

Spray waxes are another great way to keep your finish looking superb. Any quality spray wax should be applied after a wash and dry but not right after you've applied the wax.

7.Followed by a good quick detailer like Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine.

Only after a few days to remove dust to keep it looking fresh

Moderate Imperfections:
The same as above except for you probably wont do #1 unless its spot treatment, plus you probably wont compound unless it spot treatment, you'll probably use a swirl remover and finishing polish like the Pinnacle Twins or Wolfgang Duo. Followed by the steps 3-7 from above.

These should work well for you.

Good Condition:
1. Use a Prewax Cleansing Polish like XMT 360 (what are some other ones?) followed by steps 3-7 from above

The Pinnacle or Wolfgang products you mention above will work great here too!

Now for some clarity if you could. How does Klasse work?

Klasse makes some nice products. Klasse All-In-One is a one step product. In other words it clean and removes minor swirls. It also leaves the finish with a nice shine.

Klasse Sealant would be applied over the their all in one product to add additional shine and protection.

One final note:

You don't necessarily "have" to do all this. Do a small test spot and see hot it looks and decide from there.

Detailing should be fun so don't overwhelm yourself thinking "I have to perform a 35 step process if I want it to look good"

If im wrong please correct me.
Thanks guys.

Dr Oldz
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Bobby G makes a good point on his final note. The single biggest improvent that you can make to a vehicle starts with a good wash job!

CurlyCara
03-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys lots of fabulous information here.