PDA

View Full Version : Mobile detailing water pump??

Kristopher1129
03-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Alright, I bought a water pump at Home Depot on kind of a spur of the moment thing. I already know it's the wrong pump for me. It's still in the box, and I got the receipt somewhere, and I'm gonna return it.

So, here's the thing obviously. I'm looking for EXACTLY what pump I can use. I have a Stanley electric pressure washer pushing 1.4 gpm. I want a pump that is gonna stop, when I stop pulling the trigger on my pressure washer wand. I've been told that is an "On demand pump".

What make and model should I get????? I don't want to spend a TON of money. Under $150 would be fantastic.

john b
03-19-2011, 12:43 AM
if your hooked up to city pressure you dont need a pump-the pump is internal-by city pressure means to hook up to a outside hydrant-hose bib

chaotik
03-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Look online for a Shurflo on demand pump. They are the most commonly use brand of on demand pump and are very reliable.

They are about $100.00-$130.00 depending on if you get the 12volt dc model or the more expensive 120v ac model. But even there smallest pumps are rated at like 3 gallons a minute.

CleanGene
03-19-2011, 01:46 AM
The flow rate of the pump is irrelevant. Once enough back pressure builds up, the pump will shut off and will only start again once the pressure is released by you turning on the pressure washer. Regardless of pump's flow rate, the pressure washer should only output what it's max flow rating is. I use a shurflo pump for another project and it has served me well.

john b
03-19-2011, 02:09 AM
if you are goin to get water from a potable tank i would make sure that whatever pump you get is at a capable of pumping the minum amount of pressure required to feed your pw or really if you want to get straight to the point the people that sell the tanks will have the right pump for you-thats there bread and butter

Kristopher1129
03-19-2011, 08:28 AM
I was thinking about getting this one right here...SHURflo On-Demand Diaphragm Pump — 1.8 GPM, 60 PSI, 12 Volt, Model# 8009-543-236 | Sprayer Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_9414_9414)

It's 1.8 gpm which should be enough to feed my pressure washer that is 1.4 gpm. The only thing is that the inlets are 3/8. I could probably just get something to convert the outlet to fit a standard hose? Cause my PW takes a standard hose.

LITUNDRA
03-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes you could easlily get fittings to change the 3/8'' fittings to hose bib connections and yes that is the a good gpm rate for your power washer good luck I hope it works out for you.

TMD
03-19-2011, 10:29 AM
For what it's worth, we do not use a water pump with our setup and have not had any issues since we set it up. However, we use a gas powered pressure washer, and I'm not sure what the differences between that and an electric one are.

Kristopher1129
03-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes you could easlily get fittings to change the 3/8'' fittings to hose bib connections and yes that is the a good gpm rate for your power washer good luck I hope it works out for you.

Thanks, I think I'm going to buy that. I actually saw it on amazon with free shipping for around $60. Sounds good to me! :xyxthumbs:

MaximumMD
03-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I was thinking about getting this one right here...SHURflo On-Demand Diaphragm Pump — 1.8 GPM, 60 PSI, 12 Volt, Model# 8009-543-236 | Sprayer Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_9414_9414)

It's 1.8 gpm which should be enough to feed my pressure washer that is 1.4 gpm. The only thing is that the inlets are 3/8. I could probably just get something to convert the outlet to fit a standard hose? Cause my PW takes a standard hose.

That's the one I I have! I love it and it works like a charm for my rig! Only thing bad thing that I have read about it is that it comes with plastic fittings!!! So I went to ace hardware and got some brass ones and a bunch of other fittings to pipe it from the water tank to a garden hose to go to my pressure water. I don't know about your setup but I put to valves on it one right after the water tank and one right after the pump. Just so I can stop the water where every I want.

chaotik
03-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Glad that worked out for you...a search online for them brings up plenty of choices...I know that!!

I had a gas pressure washer setup that used more gpm than the on demand pumps could handle. What I did then was go to Home Depot and get a pump (found in the sump pump section) that basically sits on the ground and sucks up water from below....basically designed to empty flooded basements, etc. Already setup for garden hose connections. So...all I had to do was hook up the hose and drop it into the tank of water. Only thing was, it wasnt on demand, but I found a cool little remote control for an electrical outlet that let me turn it on and off from afar. Since I mostly details semis, etc. I am not stopping and starting spraying as much as you would with a car detail.

MIKE

Kristopher1129
03-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Glad that worked out for you...a search online for them brings up plenty of choices...I know that!!

I had a gas pressure washer setup that used more gpm than the on demand pumps could handle. What I did then was go to Home Depot and get a pump (found in the sump pump section) that basically sits on the ground and sucks up water from below....basically designed to empty flooded basements, etc. Already setup for garden hose connections. So...all I had to do was hook up the hose and drop it into the tank of water. Only thing was, it wasnt on demand, but I found a cool little remote control for an electrical outlet that let me turn it on and off from afar. Since I mostly details semis, etc. I am not stopping and starting spraying as much as you would with a car detail.

MIKE

I actually did a similar thing. The one I bought wasn't on demand either. I'm just glad I never took it out of the box or anything. Now I got the right one coming in the mail. :xyxthumbs:

JohnnyCaretaker
04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
have you tried the pump hooked up to your water tank, as some of the electric ones are "self priming" and then you don't need a seperate pump to supply water ?

215Detailing
12-08-2012, 08:34 AM
have you tried the pump hooked up to your water tank, as some of the electric ones are "self priming" and then you don't need a seperate pump to supply water ?

Not sure but ONLY two companies I have found that have SELF PRIMING electric models and that is KRANZLE and most KARCHER models.

rustytruck
12-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Make life easy and go low pressure. Chemical guys Eco Pod.