PDA

View Full Version : Detailing newly pruchased used car

zerokalvin
03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi Experts,

This is my first post. I purchased a used 09 Camry a month back and want to detail it myself. The paint is in good condition but there are some large scratches which I plan to fix with a scratch remover.

I plan on washing and using a clay bar on my car this weekend. I would like to know what my next steps should be after that. As per the Autogeeks detailing guide my plan of action should be:

1. Prewax Cleansing Polish
2. Glaze
3. Paint sealant
4. Wax
5. Spray wax
6. Quick detailer

Can you guys please give me recommendations and suggestions for each stage and whether is it necessary or not. Also, can these be done by hand or do I need power tools to accomplish this.

Thanks

Zero

SeaJay's
03-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi Experts,

This is my first post. I purchased a used 09 Camry a month back and want to detail it myself. The paint is in good condition but there are some large scratches which I plan to fix with a scratch remover.

I plan on washing and using a clay bar on my car this weekend. I would like to know what my next steps should be after that. As per the Autogeeks detailing guide my plan of action should be:

1. Prewax Cleansing Polish
2. Glaze
3. Paint sealant
4. Wax
5. Spray wax
6. Quick detailer

Can you guys please give me recommendations and suggestions for each stage and whether is it necessary or not. Also, can these be done by hand or do I need power tools to accomplish this.

Thanks

Zero

Welcome! As for your process.

After you have clayed and dried the car you will want to inspect the paint. I will typically do an IPA (properly diluted) wipe down. You can polish by hand but it is extremely time consuming and if you have the money to spend I'd suggest a dual action polisher such as the PC 7424xp (this is what i have), Griots DA or the Flex 3401.

The scratches you are talking about can you catch your finger nail on them? If so, they are fairly deep and will require wet sanding and maybe some touch up paint. If you have some pics it would help us better guide you.

By pre-wax cleansing polish are you talking about a cleaner wax or an actual polish?

A glaze will typically fill in imperfections in the paint but is very temporary.

My suggestion if you want to really tackle it is to follow this procedure after claying/drying

Inspect the paint to determine the actual damage (use the sun as a light source or you can use halogens, swirl finder light, etc.

If you purchase a DA - tape off a 2x2 section as your test spot. If you watch some of Mike Phillips videos he shows you how to properly do this.

Then start with the least aggressive method and start polishing. If you search the forum you can find out all the tips and techniques for using a DA.

I'd start by doing some research and figuring out exactly how you want to tackle the job or if it's something you may not be willing to attempt. It certainly can be done with time and the right technique. You just have to be patient and use trial and error. May take you a couple of attempts to actually get the right process for your paint.

BobbyG
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Washing then claying will give you a great surface to work with.

Polishing will begin to remove swirls and minor scratches from the clear coat making the finish actually glow.

I would suggest that you take a good look at some of the kits offered. These kits give you a great base that can be expanded bt adding additional pads and products.

XMT Porter Cable 7424 Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, polishing kit, xmt polishes, detailing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocainswr.html)

Menzerna Porter Cable XP Maximum Shine Kit FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-porter-cable-maximum-shine.html)

There hundreds of quality detailing products available. Your selection of products is fine but I've listed some of what I use as food for thought.

Car Wash: Duragloss 901,

Glass Cleaner: Meguiar's Detailer's Glass Cleaner D1200

Tire Cleaner: Amazing Roll-Of

Tires Treatment: Pinnacle Black Onyx

Wheel Cleaner: PS21

Wheel Wax: DP Wheel Glaze, Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant

Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss - Orange Pad

Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish - White Pad

Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD - Gray Pad

Trim: Poorboy's World Trim Restore, Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant

Liquid Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, DP Poli-Coat

Liquid Wax: Collinite 845, Pinnacle Souveran,

Spray Wax: Optimum, Pinnacle Souveran

Paste Pax: Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Signature Series ll, Poorboy's Natty, DP Max Wax,

Detail Spray: Finish Kare 425