PDA

View Full Version : Re-Spray of Clear coat????

Midnight1700
03-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Just curious....... Let's say you've gone and done a complete detail on a vehicle and now the car looks perfect. All scratches, swirls, holograms, and hazing completely taken care of. The polishing is done, but haven't added any sealants, waxes, or any other coatings..... Just bare paint/clear coat. My question is, "Is it possible to have a paint/body shop add a coat, or 2, of clear coat to the surface?" Don't know if this has been done or if the new clear coat will adhere properly to the existing finish. Anyone have any thoughts on this????

Finemess
03-18-2011, 09:50 AM
I think they will have to sand it to give it some tooth so the clear will stick.

James K
03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
No sense in correcting it before hand. The painter is gonna sand it anyway.

RaskyR1
03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
They would also have to remove all trim, mirrors, lights, handles ect as well. Otherwise you'd be left with ghetto tape lines everywhere which look terrible.

As long as there are nor areas that need repair, they would probably just sand it down with 800 grit.

Mike McDonald
03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm glad you asked this question. I've always wondered about this... Considering getting a good layer of clear added to the next car I buy so I have plenty of room to buff seeming as I own my cars for years.

Midnight1700
03-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I was just thinking (had to take some asprin after I did that!) with many of us here on the forum that like to keep their vehicles looking its best, we usually polish it out a few times. Each time it done, there is a small amount of clear removed and just wanted to get an idea if it can be re-sprayed to bring back some "room" for future polishing. If you've got a nice car with a good paint job, it might be worth it???

C. Charles Hahn
03-18-2011, 06:12 PM
They would also have to remove all trim, mirrors, lights, handles ect as well. Otherwise you'd be left with ghetto tape lines everywhere which look terrible.

As long as there are nor areas that need repair, they would probably just sand it down with 800 grit.

:iagree: