PDA

View Full Version : Polishing aluminum

redg35
03-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I have a polished manifold which has gotten pretty dull over the years and want to use my polishes that i have.I tried mothers but it didnt really do anything.I have meg's m105 and m205 as well as menz PG,SIP and 106ff so do you think these could work.
Here's a pic and its pretty dull now.

Mike Phillips
03-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I have a polished manifold which has gotten pretty dull over the years and want to use my polishes that i have.I tried mothers but it didn't really do anything.I have meg's m105 and m205 as well as menz PG,SIP and 106ff so do you think these could work.
Here's a pic and its pretty dull now.

Hmmm... Mothers should have made an improvement as it's a pretty good metal polish.

Try what you have to small areas and see if anything is working. Some people have posted they've had good luck with M105 to machine buff dull aluminum.

Don't forget to swing by this thread...

I'm compiling a list from the posts here...

Roll Call - What's your real first name? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/33701-roll-call-what-s-your-real-first-name.html)

Thanks!

:)

forrest@mothers
03-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I tried mothers but it didnt really do anything.

I'd be interested in a pic of the manifold. What tool were you using to polish with? Is it on the car?

redg35
03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd be interested in a pic of the manifold. What tool were you using to polish with? Is it on the car?
Yes it is on the car and i was trying by hand and the results were not very good.Tomorrow ill try my drill with a buffer wheel.

forrest@mothers
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Do you mean the CAI, or the actual intake manifold?

Many of those cold air intakes are anodized or coated. Did the aluminum polish turn black right away when you started using it?

redg35
03-17-2011, 04:14 PM
No this is an aftermarket upper manifold that i had polished a couple years ago and it looked really good.I just had a thought...how about using the Mothers polish i have with the Flex.I was thinking maybe a white pad and mid speed.And no that is not a CAI as that is the inlet for the turbo's and am not worried about that.

forrest@mothers
03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
The flex with a white (polishing) pad would be fine even thought I'd prefer a PowerBall for obvious reasons. I assume the polish turned black when you polished by hand?

Don't let the polish dry. Work it then remove the residue with a microfiber towel.

redg35
03-18-2011, 05:53 AM
The flex with a white (polishing) pad would be fine even thought I'd prefer a PowerBall for obvious reasons. I assume the polish turned black when you polished by hand?

Don't let the polish dry. Work it then remove the residue with a microfiber towel.
Yes it did turn black but didnt bring back much in the way of shine.The inlet pipe that you can see on the right of the pic does polish up nicely but the manifold will not.