PDA

View Full Version : Hello, just a few questions

Darn Yankee
03-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Hello, I am new to the forum and have done a bit of reading but I have just a few questions, I hope this is the right spot for it, please move it if it is not.

I have 3 vehicles,

2010 Buick Lucerne, paint is Crystal Red Coat. It has the shinny aluminum wheels. This is the wife’s car. It is Garage kept (go figure) and does not see more than 15 or so miles a week. It does have what I call medium swirls in the hood area and one back corner pannel. It was a dealerships show room car so it has a bunch of other small scratches on it and I have not put anything on it but I am guessing the dealership did as water still beads very well on it. I told the dealer about this (swirls)and they took it someplace that had no lighting as I did not see many of the area they fixed. It was a little better but not much, and then much worse in other spots. I am including photos.

Car number 2 is a 2011 Chevy Cruze. Just bought it a few months ago. I have not done anything to this vehicle yet, beside washing. I drive this car 65 miles a day. Its color is Imperial Blue Metallic (Dark Blue). It has Steel rims. It has very, very light swirling. I bet at this point most folks are asking”what are his questions”. I am almost there.

Vehicle #3 is my 2007 Chevy Avalanche. It is kept out side. It does not get driven much anymore and I have a bunch of stuff to do to it. I was killing it going back and forth to work in this vehicle, which is why I got the Cruze. Color is Victory Red and has Aluminum wheels (not shinny). This has med swirls, and small sratches.

Ok, for the questions, Back to car one, Buick. What I am looking at is the Maguire’s #105 and #205. I am hoping this will clear/polish the car so when I see it under the florescent lights in the garage it will not drive me nuts. I am going to try the 205 1st and see what happens.
What is too much time to work on this with the 205 before I give it up and have to use the 105 on the stubborn spots.
Can I use 205 on most of the car and 105 and 205 where needed on the stubborn spots or will this be noticeable when I am done? I will work on the worst spot 1st with it and see how long it takes me.
The paint on this car feels almost soft if that makes sense. Like it would scratch very easy??.
I have never used these products, so if you have used it or something different on this type of paint I would like to hear about it. It would be good to see that deep/wet/shinny look after the polish. Next I was going to use Wolfgang 3.0, and if I have the energy left a coat on NT wax.
My Goal for her car is to do a detail no more than twice a year. She basically uses it to go get stuff at the store and go to the gym, red hats, etc and will not drive in nasty weather unless she has an appointment.
I was thinking of using a wheel wax on the shinny type aluminum rims. I keep saying shinny as the ones on my truck are aluminum but not as shinny.

OK, Chevy Cruze, it is getting 65 miles a day on it.
I would like something that will protect it as much as possible. Looking good would be a plus but I am looking for protection more than anything else. I will most likely use the same cleaners and polishers on all 3 vehicles if I can.

Chevy truck. Like I say it needs a bunch of TLC. The black trim on the top is fading badly, Photo 104 . I have heard of a few products to use on it but am open for all the help I can get. I have ordered black wow, I would like to only Detail this vehicle twice a year as well. Also the painted plastic Trim,Photo 103 it is red in color. I have no clue what to use on this. It looks much oxidized; this may be the wrong word.

Well thank you for letting me ramble on and forgive my book of questions. I hope I gave you enough information on each vehicle to make a good assessment on which direction to point me in. It is not always easy to pick someone else’s brain as everyone likes something different but if you have the same color vehicle and like a product it will get me started.
Also, what about the plastic bumpers. Can these done the same way we do the metal on the car.

Again thank you in advance. I am going to try and post photos of each vehicle to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

SeaJay's
03-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Welcome! And from your screen name I'm assuming your from the North east? I'm from Mass here.

You've got a lot of info here so let me see if I can go through and answer some of your questions.

First - Are you working by hand or with a polisher such as a dual action or rotary? For removing swirls and minor scratches I suggest picking up a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424xp, griots DA, or Flex 3401.

As far as the polishes you may be better of using the Meg Ultimate compound. It dusts less and has a longer working time. but if you have M105 that will certainly work and is a good product. And M205 is a great product too and I use both.

I have an 06 Avalanche (black) and just as fair warning the paint is hard. Which means that it takes a lot to correct it. So if your working by hand your talking about a lot of extra work. I'm assuming your Cruze and buick may also have hard paint.

As far as working time before you move up to the next polish... do a test spot 2x2 area, do 4-5 section passes (look up how to polish in Mike Phillips articles). If that doesn't put any type of dent in it then step up to the next polish. Megs UC and M105 will need to be followed up by the M205.

As far as polishing out your rims you can pick up some metal polish that will work well on them. Something that is for all wheels like P21s.

Faded trim I completely understand on this. Right now I use Adams VRT (not sold here) or Poorboys Trim Restorer, both do a good job. I also just picked up some Black WOW but have yet to try it out.

I think I got most of your questions answered. I would suggest picking up a dual action polisher if you don't already have one. Will make your life a lot easier.

Mike Phillips
03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Ok, for the questions, Back to car one, Buick. What I am looking at is the Maguire’s #105 and #205. I am hoping this will clear/polish the car so when I see it under the florescent lights in the garage it will not drive me nuts. I am going to try the 205 1st and see what happens.

What is too much time to work on this with the 205 before I give it up and have to use the 105 on the stubborn spots.

Great question... here's what you do...

Place a tape line down the hood and only work on one side of it like this,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/796/medium/TapeLine02.jpg

Then do one section pass, that is 6-8 passes over the section you're buffing and then wipe the residue off and inspect. If the swirls and scratches are gone to your satisfaction, chances are good if you duplicate this over the rest of the car you'll see the same results over the rest of the car.

Here's how to do a section pass....

How to do a Section Pass
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4]YouTube - How to do a "Section Pass" with a Porter Cable 7424XP[/video]

If you're not seeing the results you want then test the M105 and it will obliterate everything you "want" to remove. Anything it doesn't remove is probably so deep that since these are "Daily Drivers", not show cars, it's better to learn to live with the deeper defects than to try to remove them.

Can I use 205 on most of the car and 105 and 205 where needed on the stubborn spots or will this be noticeable when I am done? I will work on the worst spot 1st with it and see how long it takes me.

Yes.

Just a suggestion...
When you type a big post like this with multiple cars and multiple questions, it makes it hard for the average forum member to chime in and post their replies. That is you make it harder for people to help you. I've been doing this for a long time and know that which I speak about.

It's better to start a thread for a single car, describe the condition, share some pictures, list what your goal is and whatever products and "Machine" you have.

Then ask 2-3 questions... if you have more questions for this single car, then post them as follow-ups...

When people click on a post and see a ton of text, multiple cars and multiple questions... it's easier for them to just click away and move onto something easier...

I'm just saying, that's how things work on a detailing forum....

I have an article like this that I wrote probably 6 years ago on Meguiar's Online and the purpose is just to help people help themselves to get lots of GREAT answers, not come down on anyone...

Just trying to help... Besides that... once you figure out how to "Start a thread", it's not that hard to start "Dedicated Threads" for each of your vehicles.

:)

mdb917
03-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Hello -
Mike P. gives some great advice on posting and separating your cars/questions to make it easier to read and follow-up.

SeaJay asked about the Crystal Red so I'll respond as I'm very familiar with that particular paint and clear coat. It is a metallic and the clear is extremely hard. You will find this color on several GM products not the least of which is the Lucerne and notably the Corvettes (2008-current).

Darn Yankee
03-17-2011, 12:22 PM
OK, thank you for all the help so far. I understand the over kill effect on the information I sent out. I thought about breaking it down by car and sending one car out a day. Hindsight is always good as it is most of time correct. I did order a few items today from this site, Thanks Nick,

PC-1500XP - Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polisher and it has the Megs 105 and 205, with pads and
LC-55-COMBO - Lake Country 5.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK, 3 gray and 3 orange and
WG-5500 - 16 oz. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and
BW-04 - Black Wow Exterior Trim Restorer.

I am guessing that is it for now, I have Gray bar and all the towels already. Maybe I can get started this weekend as the items I ordered are supposed to be here on Friday. I will start on my cruze (everyday car) and the cleanest as far as swirls.

Again,

Thank you,

Jim

Mike Phillips
03-17-2011, 02:13 PM
PC-1500XP - Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polisher and it has the Megs 105 and 205, with pads and

LC-55-COMBO - Lake Country 5.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK, 3 gray and 3 orange and

WG-5500 - 16 oz. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and

BW-04 - Black Wow Exterior Trim Restorer.

I am guessing that is it for now, I have Gray bar and all the towels already. Maybe I can get started this weekend as the items I ordered are supposed to be here on Friday. I will start on my cruze (everyday car) and the cleanest as far as swirls.

Again,

Thank you,

Jim

Hi Jim,

With the above you can actually turn out a show car finish as long as you only work a section at at time.

Read through this, it will cover everything you need to know...

How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-ability-1st-gen-porter-cable-dual-action-polishers.html)

How much product do I use with my DA Polisher? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/26962-how-much-product-do-i-use-my-da-polisher.html)

Why it's important to clean your pads often... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/28755-why-s-important-clean-your-pads-often.html)

How to clean your foam pad on the fly (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html)

This is me using the Clean your Pad on the Fly Technique (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly-when-using-porter-cable-style-da-polisher.html) to clean my pad on the fly as we removed the oxidation off this Neon (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/31073-dodge-neon-extreme-makeover-dodo-juice.html).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/994/EODodgeNeon011.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/994/EODodgeNeon012.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/994/EODodgeNeon013.jpg

Don't forget to swing by this thread... even though you posted your first name here, I'm compiling a list from the posts here...

Roll Call - What's your real first name? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/33701-roll-call-what-s-your-real-first-name.html)

:dblthumb2:

dad07
03-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Jim your either up north or a southern transplant :laughing: but anywhoo :welcome: to Ago! glad to have you with us!!!!!:props:

Darn Yankee
03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Sorry, I am from NC. A small town called Spiveys Corner, We are famous for our Hollering Contest once a year. We even have a Red light, but just one, hehehehe

dad07
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Sorry, I am from NC. A small town called Spiveys Corner, We are famous for our Hollering Contest once a year. We even have a Red light, but just one, hehehehe

I have heard of Spiveys Corner or have been through there....but for the life of me I can't remember where that is close to!!!!! Help me out here PLEASE!

Darn Yankee
03-17-2011, 07:16 PM
It is around Dunn, NC off I 95. Between Clinton and Dunn. Fayetteville, NC is only 30 miles down the road. There really is nothing else around here.

Jim

Darn Yankee
03-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, the polisher and other supplies came today. I got the car washed and clayed after work tonight. I am using my go to work car to use (test) 1st. It is only a few weeks old but they gave me the swirls free at the dealership. It was not bad but I did it anyway (clay bar). I will start working on the car in the morning.

I am hoping NOT to see these marks in the evening on Saturday,

Thanks for the help.