PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for order

ThirdgenTa
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I will be placing an order soon and will need the opinions from some of you experienced detailers.
I've been detailing for about a year now. I mostly did wash, clay a pain cleaner and sealent. (I used some products from a local detail shop and also some off the shelf products) Also vacuum and dress the interior. I've luckily found this forum about 4 months ago and am trying to learn everything I can.
I bought a used porter cable at the end of last year and don't have much experience on it. I have a few vehicles I can practice on though.
Basically what I'm looking for are products that are fairly easy to use but produce good results.

1. Pads for my porter cable w/ 5inch backing plate. I'm not sure what size to get. It came with 4 inch lake country pads but they rotate weird probably because they are too small.

2. What kind of cutting compound is easy to work with and produces good results? I was thinkin m105/m205 but I've heard it can be hard to work with sometimes.(as far as removal and that it may fill in swirls)

3. Sealent/wax- Thanks to BobbyG's post I am leaning towards menzerna powerlock and also some collinite 845.

4. Carpets/ floor mats- I've been reading about apc but I don't know which one is good and what dilution ratios for interior cleaning. (I was using my bissell pro heat and various carpet cleaners and I was not happy with the results.

5. Also exterior dressing for plastic, trim and running boards.

I think that's all for now. I look forward to your suggestions.

slickooz
03-16-2011, 05:24 PM
1. I would suggest getting LC flats 5.5 inch pads. Get some yellow, orange, white and blue pads. Do not use smaller pads on a larger BP, the pads should be at least same size or bigger then the BP.

2. I like the results from M105/M205 but M105 dust a lot.

3. Heard good things about Powerlock, Klasse is real good also. 845 is one of the best wax available for such a cheap price.

4. I would get Meg APC+, and dilute it to how dirty the interior is.

5. I heard good things about Ultima tire and trim guard.

jamores23
03-16-2011, 05:28 PM
1. Pads for my porter cable w/ 5inch backing plate. I'm not sure what size to get. It came with 4 inch lake country pads but they rotate weird probably because they are too small.

not exactly sure what size but lake country ccs pads are nice.

2. What kind of cutting compound is easy to work with and produces good results? I was thinkin m105/m205 but I've heard it can be hard to work with sometimes.(as far as removal and that it may fill in swirls)

ive never used 105/205 but i have used 105 along with menzerna polishes. i use super intensive polish po83, super finish po106, and final polish po85rd (all menzerna). I can say i love these products but it does take time to work it properly.

3. Sealent/wax- Thanks to BobbyG's post I am leaning towards menzerna powerlock and also some collinite 845.

i am a new collinite user it looks great i just posted some pics of a bmw and gti i did and used co 845. its very durable easy on easy off. now if you looking for a full synthetic sealant i like wolf gang deep gloss 3.0 topped with either natty boys blue paste wax (great for dark colored cars) pin. souveran, wg fuzion (pricey). never used menzerna power lock but from using there polishes im sure its real good stuff !

4. Carpets/ floor mats- I've been reading about apc but I don't know which one is good and what dilution ratios for interior cleaning. (I was using my bissell pro heat and various carpet cleaners and I was not happy with the results.

Megs APC PLUS is good.

UTTG (ultima product) poorboy trim restorer.
hope this helps

ScottB
03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Menzerna SIP / Menzerna 085rd and 5.5 inch hydro-tech pads ... nice start.

jamores23
03-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Menzerna SIP / Menzerna 085rd and 5.5 inch hydro-tech pads ... nice start.

:iagree:

Shawn T.
03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
The new Meguiars Trio!!!!!!
1) Ultimate Compound
2)Ultimate Polish
3)Ultimate Wax

For the price and results, can't be beat IMO.

BobbyG
03-16-2011, 07:31 PM

The 4" backing plate will work with 5 1/2 inch flat pads and I might add that these work nicely with the Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. The 5 inch diameter backing plate is better but the 4" will work for now.

Lake Country

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Meguiar's M105 and M205 work very well and yes, Meguiar's M105 "can" be a little tricky but it's not really that bad.

If I were to choose a nice combination I'd take a good close look at the link below. These will tackle just about anything you can throw at them...

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-bundle3.html)

3. Sealent/wax- Thanks to BobbyG's post I am leaning towards Menzerna Powerlock and also some Collinite 845.

You're right, these are my favorites and you won't be disappointed!

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-power-lock-sealant.html)

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

For these I really like Poorboy's Work Trim Restorer and Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant. These work really well and I think you'll be pleased.

Poorboy's Trim Restorer: Touching up the trim with Poorboy’s Trim Restorer provides the final polishing step in your quest for the perfect finish. (http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html)

Meguiars Ultimate Protectant, rubber and vinyl protectant, rubber dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-protectant.html)

Ultima makes a product called Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. This receives great reviews and I will try some s soon as the weather warms up a bit here in New England..

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html)

ThirdgenTa
03-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the reccomendations.
If I end up getting the meguaires m105/205 will I need anything else with that? I compared the menzerna kit and the m105/205 and the megs is $30 cheaper.

And what's the difference between the pads as far as cutting? Do the hydrotech cut faster than the flat pads?

And what dilution ratio should I start with for cleaning carpet/mats? Can you damage it if its too strong?

ThirdgenTa
03-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I ended up placing my order last Friday. I can't wait to receive my good quality products from AG.
I ended up purchasing the lake country flat pads 6 pack. One of each color.
I got the menzerna combo kit for the polishing and cutting. (Any suggestions how to use them would be awesome)
Menzerna power lock
Collinite 845
Megs apc plus
Ultima trim guard
And a grit guard

slickooz
03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I ended up placing my order last Friday. I can't wait to receive my good quality products from AG.
I ended up purchasing the lake country flat pads 6 pack. One of each color.
I got the menzerna combo kit for the polishing and cutting. (Any suggestions how to use them would be awesome)
Menzerna power lock
Collinite 845
Megs apc plus
Ultima trim guard
And a grit guard

If you can change order try getting 2-3 orange and 2-3 white instead and maybe 1-2 finishing pads.

Because one orange/white pad will not be enough to do the whole car.