PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Ford F150 4x4 Long Bed

Pages : [1] 2

CurlyCara
03-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Ok so I'm still a novice/beginner/amateur. What ever you would like to call me. I was give some product last night to try. So I put it to the test on my SO's truck. The pictures only show half the hood finished.Im glad that the truck is so big because I plan on trying multiple different things on it. But I wanted peoples opinion and feedback. SO here they are.

Befores:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Angelc1094/Detailing/2011-03-16144031.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Angelc1094/Detailing/2011-03-16144118.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Angelc1094/Detailing/2011-03-16144151.jpg

This is it in the shade after being clayed, and with White Diamond Black Pearl applied, let dry, and buffed off.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Angelc1094/Detailing/2011-03-16144052.jpg

In the sunlight:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Angelc1094/Detailing/2011-03-16144507.jpg

Now with Meguiars Liquid Gold Class Caranuba wax applied and buffed off:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Angelc1094/Detailing/2011-03-16145414.jpg

Ok well thanks for looking. Feedback appreciated. :)

CARA

Nick McKees37
03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Excellent work. :props:

Mike Phillips
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Looks like a dramatic improvement...

Are you doing all your work by hand?
Are you seeing red pigment coming off the paint as you work it?

:xyxthumbs:

CurlyCara
03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes im working by hand. Yes mike its a single stage. I look like ive been smacking something :).

03z71
03-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Great work..

sparkie
03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Great work so far. If you have a PC or Griot I wold recommend:buffing: yellow pad and XMT 360.

CurlyCara
03-16-2011, 04:12 PM
it definetly needs more love. I remember seeing a how to that mike did where he was gourging aocar with oils. Intuition tells me the truck needs it. I mean its in rough shape its got a ton of rust and chips, but its nice to be able to practice on a singlr stage paint. But in the end its a work/beater truck.

termigator
03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice job on the hood. Going by the dramatic improvement, I would have to say White Diamond Black Pearl is definitely an AIO and not a pure sealant.:dblthumb2:

Is that your silver Accord next to your SO's truck?;)

CurlyCara
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Yes that's her. :) I noticed shes starting to get some clearcoat failure on her spoiler. Is there something I can do to prevent it.

termigator
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes that's her. :) I noticed shes starting to get some clearcoat failure on her spoiler. Is there something I can do to prevent it.

If I'm right (98'-02'?), that's one of my favorite two-doors of all time. Loved the lines. As far as the spoiler is concerned, if the CC has started to fail, you're kind of SOL. My advice would be to count yourself lucky that it's just the spoiler and start protecting the rest of the car ASAP. CC failure seems to be a recurring theme with Hondas. I see a lot of Hondas on the road with CC failure. My brother has an 03' Accord and the bumper is showing signs of CC failure. It doesn't help that he's never waxed the car and just takes it to the automatic carwash when he thinks it's dirty. My guess is that Honda paint jobs don't hold up well to neglect.:(

ShaunD
03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Nice work:xyxthumbs:. You gotta PM where you got that 'wave' masking tape:joking:. But seriously, you knocked like ten years off half that hood. I think your cameras white balance setting got changed for the pic w/ Megs Gold 'nauba. The pic made the paint look hazy compared to the previous pic. Other than that, good work. Now get the S.O. to clear out the garage so you can work out of the sun.;)
About your spoiler though. If the clear coat is already flaking/pealing/cracked, all you can do besides repaint is maybe wet sand the exposed edges of the clear to prevent any more flaking/you catching a wash mitt/MF/towel on it and pealing more off. Then just lightly polish the area and put a sealant on it to help keep the UV rays from doing too much damage. If you catch it early you can prevent the failure from going to fast. If there is no clear coming off yet I would say put a few layers of sealant then wax, and maybe that will prolong it. Think your mostly SOL and will have to learn to paint.lol

dad07
03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
A great improvement! Nice work Cara!

BobbyG
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Cara,

I thought you did a really nice job but when I read you did it by hand I was very impressed! Working a finish by hand are not for the faint at heart meaning that's a whole lot of work.

You're beginning so see how both product and hard work can dramatically improve the appearance of nearly any surface..

At some point I hope you add a dual action polisher and foam pads to your arsenal and watch your skills explode!!

Tremendous work young lady!! :props:

CurlyCara
03-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Nice work:xyxthumbs:. You gotta PM where you got that 'wave' masking tape:joking:. But seriously, you knocked like ten years off half that hood. I think your cameras white balance setting got changed for the pic w/ Megs Gold 'nauba. The pic made the paint look hazy compared to the previous pic. Other than that, good work. Now get the S.O. to clear out the garage so you can work out of the sun.;)
About your spoiler though. If the clear coat is already flaking/pealing/cracked, all you can do besides repaint is maybe wet sand the exposed edges of the clear to prevent any more flaking/you catching a wash mitt/MF/towel on it and pealing more off. Then just lightly polish the area and put a sealant on it to help keep the UV rays from doing too much damage. If you catch it early you can prevent the failure from going to fast. If there is no clear coming off yet I would say put a few layers of sealant then wax, and maybe that will prolong it. Think your mostly SOL and will have to learn to paint.lol

Hahaha the tape was especially made for me. You cant have any! ;) I took the picture on my vibrant phone. So, The garage is my mom's shes a packrat who's getting ready to move. i'm hoping to take over the garage in her new place though. And yes the clear is coing off already. so ill do what you reccomend, with the wet sanding, sealant, and wax as soon as shes in the new house.

CurlyCara
03-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Cara,

I thought you did a really nice job but when I read you did it by hand I was very impressed! Working a finish by hand are not for the faint at heart meaning that's a whole lot of work.

You're beginning so see how both product and hard work can dramatically improve the appearance of nearly any surface..

At some point I hope you add a dual action polisher and foam pads to your arsenal and watch your skills explode!!

Tremendous work young lady!! :props:

Thank you very much! I plan to get one in May hopefully. :) YAY! I never thought I could loe doing something SO much.