PDA

View Full Version : Black Foam Pad 3M

nesto
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a Dewalt Rotary buffer, and I'm trying to learn how to use it. I have the wool cutting pad that I've used with 3M perfect-it RC and with meguiars UC. A friend of mine gave me two black foam pads. I want to try them out, would those be for like swirl x and polish? And do I have to lube the pad with something before using it on a surface???

thanks for any help

Ernesto.

reality33
03-16-2011, 04:16 PM
The black 3M pad is a medium cutting pad. I guess the best way to describe it would say it is a cut between the Lake country orange and white pads.

Polishes you would use with this would be like Menz SIP, IP or PF, XMT 360, 3M Perfect-It 3000 Machine Polish and the like.

You do not have to lube the pad at all. The design of the pad really feels better compared to a flat pad as it tends to "glide" more on the paint surface.

nesto
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Reality33!

Mike Phillips
03-17-2011, 10:33 AM
I would agree with Reality33's commnets...

It's what they call convuluted and as such only the high points touch the paint until you start applying pressure and the foam compresses.

Reality33, check out this thread...

Roll Call - What's your real first name? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/33701-roll-call-what-s-your-real-first-name.html)

I have the Ernesto on my list now but if you haven't already, do reply to the above thread for the record.

:D

nesto
03-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Ok cool thank! I learn something new everyday here on Autogeek.com!!!!:xyxthumbs:

mojako
06-06-2011, 04:07 AM
I am confused as this thread says that the 3m black waffle pad is a finishing pad?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/104112-my-finishing-pad-review.html

Or are we talking about 2 different 3m black foam pads?

tuscarora dave
06-06-2011, 04:51 AM
I get the 5.5 inch black 3M waffle pads from a surplus store locally for $2 each and they are definitely the softest finishing pads that I have and they take some serious beating before they need to be replaced. They're definitely some of the best pads that I have. When I see them at the surplus store I snatch them all up at that price.