PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer

Pages : [1] 2

AeroCleanse
03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
I might finally be breaking down and buying a pressure washer. Hookup is going to be harder in my case, as I have to hook it up to the laundry room sink. I have to do it that way because I'm on well water and only the inside water is filtered and softened. Getting a plumber to run a new outside line thats filtered and softened is out of the question.

So on to my question. I found a $100 pressure washer thats getting good reviews (unlike most I have seen). It's the Greenworks 1500 PSI 1.3 GPM Electric Pressure Washer from Lowes. Is this unit a good unit for the price? I'm not looking to "wash" with it, i.e. dispense soap.

A4 1.8tqm
03-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I have no input on that particular unit but thought I'd share some PW operation tips, since it appears that this will be your first PW.

Get Quick connects and a shutoff valve. Set it up like this- Water source> Garden hose> Shutoff valve> Female Quick connect. Male Quick connect on the PW.

Run water through the hose until there is no air in it then close the shut off valve (while water is flowing). Connect the hose, via quick connect to the PW and open the shutoff. While the PW is powered OFF pull the trigger to run UN-PRESSURIZED water through it, listening for any air to be released. This is going to ensure that when you turn it on, the pump will immediately be pressurizing water, not air, prolonging the life of your PW.

Also, I've had problems with an old 100' long extension cord going to my PW. It wouldn't operate correctly, "surging" during use. I removed the offending extension cord and all was good.

One more thing. If it seems impossible to disconnect the quick connect from the PW when your all done, it is likely because the system is holding pressure. Turn off the water, open the shutoff valve and unplug the PW, pull the trigger to release the pressure, now it should be easy to disconnect. :dblthumb2:

SeaJay's
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Aero - I have a similar one right now. I've had it for almost 3 years and it's finally crapping out on me. It leaks all over the place and the motor cycles off and on cause the pressure drops because of the leaking seals.

Overall I am happy with it. I mean $100 you can't really go wrong. But this year I'll be upgrading my pressure washer to a better more heavy duty one. Using the cheap one last year for detailing really did a number on it.

Oh and just as an FYI the wand and hose that comes with the $100 unit is complete crap. I'd suggest buying a better one.

AeroCleanse
03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
I really don't want to spend a lot to start with.

SeaJay's
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I really don't want to spend a lot to start with.

Sorry I didn't mean buy a better pressure washer I just mean the wand and hose portion. I think I paid $30 for the wand and hose I have on mine now. So for $130 you have a pressure washer.

RaskyR1
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I have no input on that particular unit but thought I'd share some PW operation tips, since it appears that this will be your first PW.

Get Quick connects and a shutoff valve. Set it up like this- Water source> Garden hose> Shutoff valve> Female Quick connect. Male Quick connect on the PW.

Run water through the hose until there is no air in it then close the shut off valve (while water is flowing). Connect the hose, via quick connect to the PW and open the shutoff. While the PW is powered OFF pull the trigger to run UN-PRESSURIZED water through it, listening for any air to be released. This is going to ensure that when you turn it on, the pump will immediately be pressurizing water, not air, prolonging the life of your PW.

Also, I've had problems with an old 100' long extension cord going to my PW. It wouldn't operate correctly, "surging" during use. I removed the offending extension cord and all was good.

One more thing. If it seems impossible to disconnect the quick connect from the PW when your all done, it is likely because the system is holding pressure. Turn off the water, open the shutoff valve and unplug the PW, pull the trigger to release the pressure, now it should be easy to disconnect. :dblthumb2:

Solid advice! :dblthumb2:

Congrats on the new PW, what ever model you get. :props:

AeroCleanse
03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
RaskyR1, I'm going to check it out in person on Friday. I also have a $10 off coupon from Lowes, which makes it even better.

STI4Life06
03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
I am looking at the same electric power washer right now (I saw it in lowes today). I wnet online and like you said there are some really good reviews on it unlike other Electric PW that I have seen. If you get it let me know how you like it:xyxthumbs:

AeroCleanse
03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I am looking at the same electric power washer right now (I saw it in lowes today). I wnet online and like you said there are some really good reviews on it unlike other Electric PW that I have seen. If you get it let me know how you like it:xyxthumbs:

If it looks ok in person and I can get all the adapters and connectors I need. If it all comes together, I will be getting it Friday.

fredcandetail
03-16-2011, 09:18 PM
i tried the greenworks and it sucked!
the cord got hot, kept clipping and shutting off .. my client was laughing under his breath at me (i could feel it) and the soap dispenser didnt foam out the suds ... save your money and buy a set up that has some ka-hones and get you a foam cannon!
and seriously i wouldnt even know which ones have ka-hones but i know this one BLOWS and i'm better off ONR'ing.

Matt
03-16-2011, 09:37 PM

Great advice!

Why not see what options Karcher has? I have a Karcher K2.080 and it was around $135 (NZD) which is about $100 (USD). It's good but the hose could be longer as it's only 3m (although you can buy longer hoses). Very reliable and sturdy. We do run on 240v over here which may mean different motors to what you get in your 110v models, but a company like Karcher would probably have good motors regardless of the voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors

AeroCleanse
03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
i tried the greenworks and it sucked!
the cord got hot, kept clipping and shutting off .. my client was laughing under his breath at me (i could feel it) and the soap dispenser didnt foam out the suds ... save your money and buy a set up that has some ka-hones and get you a foam cannon!
and seriously i wouldnt even know which ones have ka-hones but i know this one BLOWS and i'm better off ONR'ing.

I don't plan on using the soap dispenser.

john b
03-16-2011, 10:24 PM
will that karcher push a foam cannon?

CleanGene
03-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Those specs at that price look like a pretty good deal. I've never used the Greenworks brand, but at $100, I guess it's worth a shot.

SeaJay's
03-17-2011, 06:57 AM
My PW that is 1500 PSI (basically the same model as the one he's looking at but mine is a husky) works great with my foam cannon. The soap dispenser that comes with the unit is crap. But like he already said he's not going to use it so won't matter.