PDA

View Full Version : pressure washer advice

jamores23
03-16-2011, 07:13 AM
can a pressure washer be used on dirty wheels? wouldnt the pressure damage the wheels? How about on the actual surface of the car, would it damage the paint? also can i use a pressure washer on rugs and stuff?

loudog2
03-16-2011, 07:21 AM
I have a 2600psi troy built gas w/honda engine. There are 4 tips to use(gentle, auto, multipurpose and extreme). You would use the auto tip w/o problem. I have been using it for years. Get one you can use for everything(house, car etc).

CrownKote
03-16-2011, 07:24 AM
There are a lot of variables in this question... The biggest ones are is the pressure washer a heated one or not? If heated can you control the temp? If not then what is the max temp that it will spray out?... The other big one is the pressure. What is the max PSI? Is that adjustable?

There are literally hundreds of PW out there from simple ones that hook up to your garden hose then are plugged in to your outlet to the ones that use a huge fuel powered motor... I worked for a shop that had the latter and it's max pressure was 5k psi and max temp was close to 500 deg F... I would never have used that to spray off a car at full settings...

Tell us what your thinking about using and we can go from there...

SeaJay's
03-16-2011, 07:29 AM
I have a small electric pressure washer with 1500psi and I use it for spraying off tires, wheel wells, and paint with no ill effects. As rove pointed out there are a lot of variables when it comes to pressure washers and all depends on the one your using or looking to purchase.

SeaJay's
03-16-2011, 07:30 AM
I have a 2600psi troy built gas w/honda engine. There are 4 tips to use(gentle, auto, multipurpose and extreme). You would use the auto tip w/o problem. I have been using it for years. Get one you can use for everything(house, car etc).

Loud - how do you like that pressure washer? I'm in the market for a new one and have considered the one you have.

BobbyG
03-16-2011, 07:37 AM
can a pressure washer be used on dirty wheels? wouldnt the pressure damage the wheels? How about on the actual surface of the car, would it damage the paint? also can i use a pressure washer on rugs and stuff?

Yes
No
No
Yes

I have a 2700 psi pressure washer that I use all the time...weather permitting of course. I have never damaged any part of a vehicle with it but they are quite powerful and caution and some common sense are part of the equation here.

dad07
03-16-2011, 07:39 AM
I have a Troy Built 2600 psi and Honda motor. Its not ajustable but it works great for washing just about anything! The only thing I don't like about it is the axial pump...my budget wouldn't let me go bigger to get the heavier pump system. All and allits a good unit for what i'm doing with it.

CrownKote
03-16-2011, 07:41 AM
I would have to agree with everyone here so far! I have used the TBs and they are great for all purpose use!

WRAPT C5Z06
03-16-2011, 08:22 AM
I have an 1800 PSI electric pressure washer from Home Depot and love it!!!!!

Sent using Tapatalk

Cruiser57
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Loud - how do you like that pressure washer? I'm in the market for a new one and have considered the one you have.

If you go with a gas model my experience has been to go with the Honda powered ones, same with electric generators. Very reliable and they start well. I think Karcher makes the best electric. The Karcher I have now I've had for two years and still runs good. You need a pressure washer for wheel wells, under carriages and hard to reach places. Try not to use them under the hood or directly on trim or emblems. Most of the time you probably don't need more than a 1700 psi unit. Of course just my opinion.:rolleyes:

SeaJay's
03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
If you go with a gas model my experience has been to go with the Honda powered ones, same with electric generators. Very reliable and they start well. I think Karcher makes the best electric. The Karcher I have now I've had for two years and still runs good. You need a pressure washer for wheel wells, under carriages and hard to reach places. Try not to use them under the hood or directly on trim or emblems. Most of the time you probably don't need more than a 1700 psi unit. Of course just my opinion.:rolleyes:

Thanks! I know not to use them under the hood etc. But thanks for the tips! I'm going to look into the TB one I think. Perhaps the Karcher. The electric one I have now was a cheapo one from the box store. It pisses water out all over the place and the pump has started to turn on and off because all the seals are leaking etc. So, the motor is about to burn out on it.