PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar Questions

cbsb
03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I've never touched a clay bar in my life ...

I understand WHY and WHEN to use a clay bar ...

What I don't understand is what is the difference between clay bar brands, besides the price and the color.

Are some more aggressive that others?

I would assume that you stick with the lube sold with a particular clay bar because its been designed to work with it.

More long lasting than others?

Your thoughts, tips, please.
Thanks
Chris

Ted S.
03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd like to know this, too. Escpecially the differences between the brands sold on autogeek because there is a shortage on reviews. Right now I'm thinking of trying either XMT or DP.

C. Charles Hahn
03-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Well one thing I would point out is that all of the paintwork clay currently sold in the US is manufactured and distributed by Auto Magic.

That said, they tend to produce clay to a vendor's spec which can result in different properties with regard to aggressiveness.

Here's a good bit of reading about clay bars:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/11789-detail-clay.html

Since much of it is sourced from Japan, I do have to wonder what is going to happen to the supply of it available in wake of the disaster there....

Porsche Pilot
03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
At one point I remember hearing that the worldwide clay patent was held by one company. That was supposed to expire in 2010 I thought. That would open the market for everyone to start making their own clay. Anybody know?

pfix
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
At one point I remember hearing that the worldwide clay patent was held by one company. That was supposed to expire in 2010 I thought. That would open the market for everyone to start making their own clay. Anybody know?

I think the patent does not run out until 2013 unfortunately.

dad07
03-15-2011, 09:16 PM
to the OP...there are many different clay options out there....OTC ( over the counter) Mothers is good and so is Meguires,both can bought at just abought any parts store. On AG the DP line offers a great product....but you can get a lot accomplished with either! Just my .02 hope this helps and good luck!

rfinkle2
03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
to the OP...there are many different clay options out there....OTC ( over the counter) Mothers is good and so is Meguires,both can bought at just abought any parts store. On AG the DP line offers a great product....but you can get a lot accomplished with either! Just my .02 hope this helps and good luck!

As Dad07 said, Mother's is an excellent OTC (or autogeekonline) clay, and doesn't seem to mar soft paint (i.e. not very aggressive), but gets the job done.