PDA

View Full Version : Big Boat care

BigTuna
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
With so many posts and the plethora of information, I would like to ask for some help on my specific project. I am not a professional but because there are no pros that I have found in my area I have been caring for the paint on my 35' center console boat on my own. We have owned the boat for about three years, and until now I have been using only a cleaner wax with a rotary buffer (makita) to maintain the exterior. The boat now has some light oxidation and could use some overall rejuvenation, so I purchased the three step Mequiar's process; M49 Oxidation Remover, M45 Boat/Rv polish, and M63 Flagship Marine Wax. I have also attached a photo of the boat.

About a week ago I found autogeek.net and I am going wild with questions:

Am I heading in the right direction for caring for my gel-coat?

I see so many pads used in the instructional video, can you suggest some for my project?

Do I need to purchase another machine? I like the idea of the cyclos and the flex da, but if this large boat is my only project each year, would I really be gaining alot?

What about my product choice; am I on the right track or way off?

I know this is a broad question, but are there any other notes or suggestions on areas that I may not have specifically asked?

I apologize for the long post. Any help you guys have to offer is greatly appreciated. I also want to say that you have an amazing site and forum, and I only wish I had discovered it sooner.

SeaJay's
03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Welcome tuna! Very nice boat you have there!

I think you'll be fine with the Makita and don't need to purchase another machine. I'd suggest picking up several pads, wool pads, and perhaps some kompressor pads. Something with a good cut for the oxidation remover, a light cut pad for M45, and then a no cut pad for your wax.

Sounds like you've done some of your research already and I think you will be good to go with some pads and that combo of products.

master detailer
03-15-2011, 12:01 PM
go to west marine and get some yacht brite buff magic 800 grit and use a wool pad on your makita this is what I use and I do over 100 boats a year in se fl and owner of master detailers 239 878 0543 ps use a sealer after you wash it when done buffing