PDA

View Full Version : new things ive learned and need to learn

jamores23
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Ok, so this weekend i did 4 cars, 3 of the 4 were clayed and waxed but one which was done with d151 via white pad as a AIO. I realized if you "lube" the surface too much the clay doesnt really do its job. I used xmt speed clay yellow because this one car is particular had little black spots and tree sap stuck to it. i was noticing as i went over it with too much lube it wouldnt take it off but i would re-fold the clay and the area would be a bit drier and when you can actually feel a LITTLE bit of friction instead of a really slippery surface it would remove the tree sap and the little black spots. it took me forever to clay this car properly to remove all these contaminants from the surface!! Also, the 151 is a PITA to remove if you use to much. I would definitely suggest a extra layer of wax over the 151 for more gloss/wet look.

jamores23
03-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Also, what do you use to take out old wax left behind by others in crevices for example the clear bra line? What can be used to restore head lights could i just use a compound followed by a polish? and what do you guys do to prevent all the polish that fly's everywhere like the roof and trunk after you polished them? it becomes a pain in the rear when it gets all over the place cause it kind of sticks there! Feed back please

SeaJay's
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Here are my thoughts and opinions...remove sap and tar prior to claying if you can. These things can eat up your clay bar and typically clay isn't exactly cheap.

You can use q-tips or they make qtip like applicators that they sell at AG to get the wax out. usually some IPA or APC will get the wax out from the clear bra. If it's really in there good a toothpick seems to work well.

To restore headlights depending on how bad they are you may need to sand them down first then compound and polish. Then you need to apply some sort of sealant to them to protect them from hazing over again.

And when it comes to keep polish from flying every where (don't know if your using a DA or rotary) use less product if you can. And ensure your taping and covering sections that you don't want polish on.

jamores23
03-15-2011, 10:28 AM
im using a rotary. yeah i taped a towel over the front window to cover the wipers and trim there but alot of polish was on the roof. how would you remove the black spots without clay they weren't coming out no other way..

Do you know how to upload a photo from photobucket what to i use as the link HTML LINK, DIRECT LINK, IMG CODE?

Mike Phillips
03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Do you know how to upload a photo from photobucket what to i use as the link HTML LINK, DIRECT LINK, IMG CODE?

I think there's a place on the page where they provide the code to share a picture via different ways. Discussion forums like this one, (vBulletin), use what's called BB Code, so see if there's an option for that.

I've never been a big fan of pictures posted to forums hosted on Imageshak, Photobucket, etc., because all too often people just have the free account and when they run out of room instead of signing up to be a customer and get more photo hosting space they just delete photos and then everywhere they've shared the deleted photo in a thread the pictures show up missing.

Most forums, like this one give you a free photo gallery with your account and if you upload your photo to your forum account we make sure the picture endures...

:)

SeaJay's
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
On photobucket it's the img code. You just copy and paste that into our thread.

Removing the black spots may be a pain. Have your tried re-washing the vehicle? That may remove some of them. If not you may have to clay or do an IPA wipe down to get them off. Which means you'll need to reapply the 151.