PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, need help please

brians149
03-15-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm new to the DIY detailing game again after a 7 year layoff. I'm moving into my new home on Friday and finally have a hose and garage to store all my cleaning/waxing products. I used to mainly use Griot's garage products and was thinking of purchasing their complete car care kit including bucket but I'm sure there are a lot of newer recommended economical products with new technology. I need help picking out a nice arsenal of products in a package if possible but I am on a budget right now of about $300. I don't have a show car but would like a some good basic products like wash, wax, scratch remover etc to start off with. I own a 08 Mazda CX7 in Copper Red and my wife has a silver honda accord.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Brian

SeaJay's
03-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Your going to open up a bucket of worms here! There are so many great products out there and everyone has their opinions! I'll start with my personal preferences for some items first. By no means are these "the Best" or anything like that. Just what I personally use.

Car wash soap - DP Xtreme Foam or Megs NXT
Clay - Adams Clay bar
Clay Lube - ONR Diluted
Rineless Wash - ONR or DP Rinseless
Tire Shine - DP Tire Gloss or Wolfgang Black Diamond tire gel
All Purpose Cleaner - Adams APC or Simple Green Diluted
Degreaser - Super Clean Degreaser
Various Brushes - Daytona wheel brush, couple small boars hair brushes, lug nut brushes
Quality Microfibers
window cleaners - Stoners invisible glass or Sprayway
Interior Cleaner - 1Z cockpit premium or DP interior Clenaer
Wax - Collinite 845, Pinnacle High Gloss 180 XMT, Dodo Supernatural, Pinnacle Souveran
Sealant - Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0, and DP Poli-coat

That's a good list to get your started but your going to get a lot of different feed back.

Mike Phillips
03-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Hi Brian,

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

First question is... do you own any type of electric polisher? If you don't you can work by hand to get started and we can help you with that too but if you want to make some money detailing cars you have to work fast and when it comes to the paint working by machine is faster and more effective than working by hand.

Also, it's easy to read detailing discussion forums and get caught up into the "idea" of doing show car detailing and there's nothing wrong with this as long as you're matching your services to your customer's needs.

Maybe check this article out as it makes this point...

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html)

Since you're starting out but have experience, most people offer both production detailing, that's doing one-steps to daily drivers, and then offer multiple-steps for "Special Interest" cars, and my definition of "Special Interest" cars is pretty open but for the most part if it's import to the owner, then at least to them it's Special Interest and chances are good they will be willing to pay more for higher quality results, that is you doing more steps.

Meguiar's also just introduced their Microfiber DA Correction System and this is getting a lot of attention in the detailing world as a good option for doing more than a one-step but not investing the time a traditional multi-step process takes.

There's a lot more articles on a wide range of topics in my article list which you can find the link to in my Signature Line.

Here's a few on starting a business, check out the ones on choosing a name and branding yourself... especially if you think you're going to be in this for the long run.

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23241-brand-yourself-brand-your-forum-nickname-brand-your-business-name.html)

How to choose a name for your detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22283-how-choose-name-your-detailing-business.html)

:)

Cruiser57
03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I have to agree with Seajay on this one. There are as many products as there are opinions. I tell my customers to stick with the name brands to start. Stay away from the bargain or just cheap stuff as it will cost you in the long run. You are not going to get burned by Mothers, Mequiars, Adams etc. They can all be applied by hand but a DA orbital will enhance the final results. Like the rest of us just have fun with it and don't be afraid to experiment with the new technologies as your confidence level rises.

brians149
03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

A few things to note:
1) Clay Bar- I don't see Adams available on here, any other suggestion?
2) Am I missing anything or is there anything I don't need that is listed?

Let me know if this looks ok as a good starting point:

Car wash soap - Megs NXT
Rinseless Wash & Bucket kit- Optimum No Rinse kit incl buckets, towels
Clay Lube - ONR Diluted (comes with above kit)
Clay - Any clay that can be purchased on Auto geek that is recommended?
Tire Shine - Wolfgang Black Diamond tire gel kit including wheel brush
Various Brushes - lug nut brushes
Quality Microfibers (with above kit)
window cleaners - Stoners invisible glass
Interior Cleaner - 1Z cockpit premium
Wax - Pinnacle High Gloss 180 XMT,
Sealant - Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0

Thanks again for the help!
Brian

SeaJay's
03-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

A few things to note:
1) Clay Bar- I don't see Adams available on here, any other suggestion?
2) Am I missing anything or is there anything I don't need that is listed?

Let me know if this looks ok as a good starting point:

Car wash soap - Megs NXT
Rinseless Wash & Bucket kit- Optimum No Rinse kit incl buckets, towels
Clay Lube - ONR Diluted (comes with above kit)
Clay - Any clay that can be purchased on Auto geek that is recommended?
Tire Shine - Wolfgang Black Diamond tire gel kit including wheel brush
Various Brushes - lug nut brushes
Quality Microfibers (with above kit)
window cleaners - Stoners invisible glass
Interior Cleaner - 1Z cockpit premium
Wax - Pinnacle High Gloss 180 XMT,
Sealant - Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0

Thanks again for the help!
Brian

Sorry Brian, I should have mentioned that the clay I use isn't purchased here. The DP clay I've heard is pretty good but I haven't tried it. The Mother's clay kit is pretty good as well this one i've used.

You may also want to pick up some 303 aerospace. It's a dressing that works really well.

Maybe some grit guards? Don't know if the ONR kit comes with them. Maybe a quality wash mitt?

BobbyG
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Brian! :props:

It looks like you've received some great advise from some knowledgeable folks and they've offered a nice variety of product suggestions...

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed. :buffing:

rfinkle2
03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Mother's clay is excellent in addition to what is listed above.

Mike Moore
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
First question is... do you own any type of electric polisher? If you don't you can work by hand to get started and we can help you with that too but if you want to make some money detailing cars you have to work fast and when it comes to the paint working by machine is faster and more effective than working by hand.

Agreed

This would be my thoughts
To get you started...

1) DA Polisher $130
1) 5" backing plate $18
2) 5 gal buckets $6
2) Megs Grit Guards $15
1) Megs NXT car wash $8
1) Clay bar (lots of choices) $20
6) Lake Country 5" flat pads $35
....2) Orange 2) White 1) Black 1) Blue

Sub total $232

1) Megs Ultimate Compound $10
1) Megs Ultimate Polish $9
1) Megs Ultimate Wax $20

Sub total $39

Spent $275

1) Sprayway $4
1) Vinylex $12
1) Porrboys Trim Restorer $15
Sub total $31

I am on a budget right now of about $300

This is $302

This leaves Microfiber towels and assorted brushes
Buy a few good quality MF towels for the paint (the best you can afford)
and a few cheap MF towels for the wheels etc. (not the paint)

dad07
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Agreed

This would be my thoughts
To get you started...

1) DA Polisher $130
1) 5" backing plate $18
2) 5 gal buckets $6
2) Megs Grit Guards $15
1) Megs NXT car wash $8
1) Clay bar (lots of choices) $20
6) Lake Country 5" flat pads $35
....2) Orange 2) White 1) Black 1) Blue

Sub total $232

1) Megs Ultimate Compound $10
1) Megs Ultimate Polish $9
1) Megs Ultimate Wax $20

Sub total $39

Spent $275

1) Sprayway $4
1) Vinylex $12
1) Porrboys Trim Restorer $15
Sub total $31

This is $302

This leaves Microfiber towels and assorted brushes
Buy a few good quality MF towels for the paint (the best you can afford)
and a few cheap MF towels for the wheels etc. (not the paint)

:iagree:Merlin has put together a good list here as has Seajay.....you wont go wrong with their recomendations!:props:

brians149
03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Awesome, thanks for sharing the options and feedback above, I appreciate it.

Brian