PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please

jto667
03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Ok, so the weather has come around finally in the midwest. I didn't have a ton of time but I wanted to experiment so I have a game plan for when it's "go" time! The project is a black 2007 Yukon. Pretty sure it hasn't seen a machine polishing, the water does bead so it's probably got the basic hand wax job....I just bought the rig about a month ago. There are a few pics attached down below. Here is what I did today....

Bucket wash w/ Megs
Clayed the hood only...that's the test area
Taped off a 2x2 area that has some bird dropping etching and swirl marks

First try was with an orange pad and 205, 4 passes
ISP wipe at 11%
Second try was an orange pad with SwirlX
ISP wipe
And a 3rd pass with 205, orange pad and a little more pressure.

I would rate the hood at 60%.....quite a bit came out, not the bird poop etching, but it got a little bit better.

So my plan is to hit it with some 105 then follow with 205. I have a variety of pads to use also....but they are primarily finishing pads. I have Lake orange and Megs cutting pad in a 6.5"

This is with a PC at 4 1/2 on the switch.

Am I on the right track?

PS: I have the utmost respect for those of you that make black look "wet"....great color, but what a pain to maintain!!!!!

dougaross
03-14-2011, 10:49 PM
105 with orange pad speed at 6 should take care of it.

jto667
03-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Thank you Doug....will this combo knock out the bird poop etching also?

Dr Oldz
03-15-2011, 02:03 AM
105 with orange pad speed at 6 should take care of it.

:iagree: Also...keep in mind that your arm speed and size of your work area are a factor. sometimes you have to move a bit slower and shrink you work area down to get the results you are after!

dougaross
03-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Thank you Doug....will this combo knock out the bird poop etching also?
depends on how deeply etched. I know this will remove RIDS on hard Audi paint

jto667
03-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys, we will find out tomorrow!