PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat too warm?

Porsche Pilot
03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Another silly question for the experts. I have posted before about my clear coat being softer than butter. No matter what MF I use micro marring is induced. So, the question is this: I know that polishing creates heat. Does the clear coat "soften" under the friction and heat of a DA? If so, should I wait for it to cool or harden before I hit it with a MF for final wipe? If my heating theory is way off can I wet sand the damn clear off?! Another 5 hours wasted yesterday prepping for DF. Marred again taking LSP off...very gently.

Harleyguy
03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
The clear coat on my Vette is rock hard but I also get micro marring . What I learned is the Micro Fiber towels I was using was inducing it . You may want to check you towels and make sure there isn't any small specs of dirt hiding out. Also what brand a towel makes a really big difference . I can show you at DF the ones I prefer .As far as the clear cost soften under heat I never seen that remember that the clear coat on automotive finishes are cured in a spray booth with heat lamps and or heat .

Porsche Pilot
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Good point on the heat curing when applied. I didn't think that through. I will bring my towels to DF...believe me, I thought they were uber plush. I look forward to meeting you and checking out your towels.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

David Fermani
03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Sounds like you need some Opti-Coat! If you want me to coat a section of your car @ DF I could. See if that section marrs less.

Porsche Pilot
03-14-2011, 08:52 PM
That would be too awesome David. At least I will know it works. If it does I will still make arrangements with you when I head home to WPB to do the whole car. Thanks for the great offer!!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

A4 1.8tqm
03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I know that polishing creates heat. Does the clear coat "soften" under the friction and heat of a DA? If so, should I wait for it to cool or harden before I hit it with a MF for final wipe?

From a Physics point of view, yes heat does "soften" the paint.

Heat is essentially the motion of atoms/molecules, a form of kinetic energy. A higher temperature means faster motion. In the opposite direction, Absolute Zero (0 degrees Kelvin) is the absence of all molecular motion. To create "heat" there must be a transfer of energy to the material. In this case, energy is imparted to the paint molecules by friction.

The effect of molecules moving faster is that they bump into each other harder and in turn bounce further apart, this is why materials expand when heated (like when I turn on my deep fryer, there is about an inch more oil once it heats up. Sidewalks are made in small sections to alleviate the stress of expansion and contraction, there are many real world examples). When a material has expanded the bonds are weaker, this is why metal is more pliable when heated. Take a piece or re-bar and try to bend it then hit it in the center with a blowtorch, try again and see how hard it is.

From a purely scientific stand point your paint is softer when hot. How much this actually effects the detailing world, I don't know. :dblthumb2:

If you want to jump down the Physics rabbit hole, we can talk about TIME. It's not a constant, it's rate changes with velocity and this is proven in daily life by the technology we use. GPS, for example, wouldn't work without compensating for time Dilation.

Joe@Superior Shine
03-14-2011, 11:23 PM

Heat is essentially the motion of atoms/molecules, a form of kinetic energy. A higher temperature means faster motion. In the opposite direction, Absolute Zero (0 degrees Kelvin) is the absence of all molecular motion. To create "heat" there must be a transfer of energy to the material. In this case, energy is imparted to the paint molecules by friction.

The effect of molecules moving faster is that they bump into each other harder and in turn bounce further apart, this is why materials expand when heated (like when I turn on my deep fryer, there is about an inch more oil once it heats up. Sidewalks are made in small sections to alleviate the stress of expansion and contraction, there are many real world examples). When a material has expanded the bonds are weaker, this is why metal is more pliable when heated. Take a piece or re-bar and try to bend it then hit it in the center with a blowtorch, try again and see how hard it is.

From a purely scientific stand point your paint is softer when hot. How much this actually effects the detailing world, I don't know. :dblthumb2:

If you want to jump down the Physics rabbit hole, we can talk about TIME. It's not a constant, it's rate changes with velocity and this is proven in daily life by the technology we use. GPS, for example, wouldn't work without compensating for time Dilation.

This has to be the coolest post I have ever read!! I wish I had smarts like that. Thanks for sharing.

Kristopher1129
03-15-2011, 12:00 AM

You just blew my mind. I was gonna say, of course your clear is softer when heated. But you pretty much took care of that and then some, haha. :dblthumb2:

A4 1.8tqm
03-15-2011, 12:43 AM
This has to be the coolest post I have ever read!! I wish I had smarts like that. Thanks for sharing.

You just blew my mind. I was gonna say, of course your clear is softer when heated. But you pretty much took care of that and then some, haha. :dblthumb2:

Ha! Thanks, I watch the free webcasts of Physics for future Presidents (http://muller.lbl.gov/teaching/Physics10/PffP.html) at Berkley University with Professor Richard A. Muller and Bob Jacobsen more than I browse and post at Autogeek LOL.

The course focuses on the conceptual understanding of each topic instead of doing math or solving equations. Covering current world issues and their relationship with topics such as Atoms and Heat, Electricity and Magnetism, Climate Change, Energy efficiency and dependency, Nukes and Radioactivity, and my favorites; Waves, Quantum Physics, Relativity, and The Universe. All presented in simple and understandable language with lots of visual demonstrations. No prior Physics education is necessary to comfortably understand the lectures and you will walk away from each one with new knowledge about current issues based on scientific FACTS (not twisted opinions like from, say, FOX NEWS LOL :poke: marks thread).

Having watched every semester's course since '06 at least once, this stuff is engraved into my brain. I am anxiously waiting for the newest semesters webcasts and the new link posted on the site is broken... :awman:

ROMEO
03-15-2011, 02:36 AM
A4 lost me right after "from a..." LOL...

You learn something new every day...

A4 1.8tqm
03-15-2011, 03:19 AM
A4 lost me right after "from a..." LOL...

You learn something new every day...

:laughing: Yeah this stuff isn't for everyone but I just can't get enough. Probably my subconscious compensating for not paying ANY attention K-12, seriously. There is a lot of "common knowledge" that I'm embarrassed to not know... :dunno:

Here's my view. The thing is, is that no one really needs book smarts anymore, there is not much need to memorize countless pieces of trivial information. You can just Google or Wikipedia search all the information you could ever need, it's all in your pocket.

I'm not at all saying that kids should not be educated, quite the contrary but there needs to be a shift in priorities. From mundane memorizing of a little bit of everything to truly stimulating and encouraging the interests and talents of the youth. So what if I'm not interested in History, someone else will be completely enamored with it and will want to know and preserve it. There is a problem here, too many people struggle through life, focusing on their weaknesses trying to be better at something they are not talented at, whats the point? That sounds miserable. Seems much more logical to me to exploit your talents and run with it. Enjoy what your good at, "Find something you like and use it often" could apply if you twist it a little :)

Again, IMO. What people do "need" is an understanding of the world around them, how to communicate and interact with people etc.. This stuff is not taught very well IMO. Oops... huge off-topic opinionated rant.

sohail99
03-15-2011, 05:40 AM
^Totally amazing post there!!

I was reminded of my physics class!! but your version was way too interesting!!

Porsche Pilot
03-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Awesome guys! Of course you are talking to someone that still thinks batteries run off of magic. Thanks for the replys!!

CEE DOG
03-15-2011, 06:52 AM
:laughing: Yeah this stuff isn't for everyone but I just can't get enough. Probably my subconscious compensating for not paying ANY attention K-12, seriously. There is a lot of "common knowledge" that I'm embarrassed to not know... :dunno:

Here's my view. The thing is, is that no one really needs book smarts anymore, there is not much need to memorize countless pieces of trivial information. You can just Google or Wikipedia search all the information you could ever need, it's all in your pocket.

I'm not at all saying that kids should not be educated, quite the contrary but there needs to be a shift in priorities. From mundane memorizing of a little bit of everything to truly stimulating and encouraging the interests and talents of the youth. So what if I'm not interested in History, someone else will be completely enamored with it and will want to know and preserve it. There is a problem here, too many people struggle through life, focusing on their weaknesses trying to be better at something they are not talented at, whats the point? That sounds miserable. Seems much more logical to me to exploit your talents and run with it. Enjoy what your good at, "Find something you like and use it often" could apply if you twist it a little :)

Again, IMO. What people do "need" is an understanding of the world around them, how to communicate and interact with people etc.. This stuff is not taught very well IMO. Oops... huge off-topic opinionated rant.

Sorry to continue the off topics PP!

Great points Dave, the world has been completely and utterly transformed by the internet. Forget about the 7 wonders of the world... The internet really is the Single wonder of the world. Also, your right on about the education. There are such fascinating things to learn about and somehow the school system finds away to make it boring!!! Incredible isn't it? You start researching stuff on the internet or watching the Science or History Channel and it's like why in the hell were those fools talking about chopping down a darn cherry tree? Are they nuts! With all the true and incredible things there are to learn....

:hijacked: :nomore: :bolt: