PDA

View Full Version : Scape on Side view mirror housing

shimkc
03-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I got a scape on each of my side view mirror housing. The bigger one is around 1/4" wide and about 1/2" long and it was scaped down to the plastic, so all the paint were gone. It is just normal black paint on plastic and not textured.

I am wondering if any one has luck trying to repair it themselves? Can I just use touch up paint to fix it? I appreciate any feedback and help. Thanks in advance

SeaJay's
03-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Welcome!

If you can post of pics of it we would be able to better help you.

I'd suggest if you have to do touch up on it that you just remove the whole side view mirror and repaint the whole thing.

shimkc
03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi, thank you for the reply. I am try to post a picture tonight. But the scratch is a horisontal scratch on the outer edges of the mirror housing. It was scrapped while I was backing out of the garage.

SeaJay's
03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
And your saying the paint is gone right? If so, you may need to sand the area down and then paint it. A pic will ensure we can give you the proper advice on how to tackle it.

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Can I just use touch up paint to fix it? I appreciate any feedback and help. Thanks in advance

Sure!

Clean, prep, apply touch-up paint carefully, then finesse it a little to make it look as good as you can.

This kind of touch-up work can be kind of tricky and will test your skill and ability to work with paint.

The challenging part is making it look like nothing ever happened. That's usually most people's expectations, whether or not you can reach this level of quality is the challenge.

Another option might be to locate one that's not damaged in a wrecking yard, or salvage yard and simply replacing it.

If the car is a common model, like a Toyota Camry, you should be able find one with a little digging around, maybe check eBay.

:)

shimkc
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Do I need to apply some kind of filler, primer considering that the scrape is down to plastic. There is not lot material taken off so I am hoping I can just use the touch up paint to build the layers.

Since there is a good chance I am going to scrape it again and a little imperfection does not bother me, I am reluctant to spend a lot of money to fix it.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and help.

SeaJay's
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
You may need to sand it down a little bit. Then you can try to layer the touch up paint. Worse case if it doesn't come out the way you'd like then you can sand it down and prime it and try it again.

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Just clean it really well with some Isopropyl Alcohol and then apply your touch up paint. The secret of applying touch-up paint is less is best... you can always add some more later.

If you get into sanding the touch-up paint flat and then trying to buff out your sanding marks, that's where it can start getting more complicated.

Kind of goes without saying that you can make projects like this as complicated as you want...

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
You may need to sand it down a little bit. Then you can try to layer the touch up paint.

Good point, if where the plastic and paint is scratched it's rough or jagged, and especially if any portion of paint or plastic is sticking above the surface, then you'll need to knock down the high points or they'll be there along with the touch-up paint.

David Fermani
03-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Since there is a good chance I am going to scrape it again and a little imperfection does not bother me, I am reluctant to spend a lot of money to fix it.

Based on this comment you appear to be a perfect candidate for a brush touch type repair. Even though touching this up is a very simple repair (especially with black), keep in mind it will still be detectable. Or you could opt for a body shop to properly refinish the entire mirror cover/housing which would still be much less than finding one at a junk yard. Especially seeing that a junk yard mirror will require refinishing too.

shimkc
03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Here are some of the images. I will try to take some better ones. It is difficult to show the scrap in detail.

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Here are some of the images. I will try to take some better ones. It is difficult to show the scrap in detail.

Hard to see but thanks for the follow-up...

Touch-up paint is the fast easy way especially if it's something you don't want to put a lot of time, effort or money into...

A Permanent Black Sharpie Marker can also be your friend for little nicks...