PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from NEW Mexico

Teamzambo
03-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone, new to the site hope to get some good info on taking care of my paint! Moved to the HOT son of New Mexico and have seen many cars with heat/sun damage something I do not want to happen to my Cadillac. Hope you guys can help me out!

BobbyG
03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online....

A sealant may prove to be better suited under the hot sun there. Sealants are synthetic therefore may have a wider temperature range than Carnauba waxes.

KLC
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome!

What part of NM?

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

When you live in a geographical location where your car is going to be exposed to direct sunlight and warm temperatures, the best thing you can do is keep the car parked out of the sun when not in use.

Besides that, regular maintenance.

Take care of your car's clear coat with regular washing or wiping clean and then find a wax or paint sealant that you like and use it often.

Your car's clearcoat came with UV Light inhibitors, you can apply car waxes and paint sealants that offer UV protection but the first, best thing you can do is to take care of the clear coat that came from the factory as it contains the UV protection that protects the color coat.

Applying a wax or paint sealant will help but this layer you leave on after wipe-off is measured in microns or sub-microns, so there's only so much protection it can offer. That's why I write, the first, best thing you can do is take care of the clear layer, or top coat of paint, it's thicker than a coat of wax and the chemist that make the paint include UV blockers or UV inhibitors and the idea is that if the clear coat is properly maintained, it will protect the paint over the normal service life of the car.

Regular Maintenance

Wash or wipe clean, avoid detergent soaps
Regularly apply a fresh coat of a quality wax or paint sealant
Use spray detailers and spray waxes in-between a normal wash and a normal coat of wax

Here's a few articles on these topics...

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-how-choose-right-wax-paint-sealant-your-detailing-project.html)

Frequent car care equals fast and easy car care... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/31325-tip-frequent-car-care-equals-fast-easy-car-care.html)

Sacrificial Barrier Coating = The purpose of a wax or synthetic paint sealant (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28566-sacrificial-barrier-coating-purpose-wax-synthetic-paint-sealant.html)

:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Yea, that's what I meant....:props:

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Yea, that's what I meant....:props:

:laughing:

The technical side of me showing through... it's all good...

:)

BobbyG
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
:laughing:

The technical side of me showing through... it's all good...

:)

Yes it is Mike and always appreciated!! :dblthumb2: