PDA

View Full Version : How to apply Collinite 845? Any advice would be good for me.

Pages : [1] 2 3

JefriLay
03-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi all, just got Collinite 845 insulator wax. I know that it is liquid base but I didn't expect that it is so liquid compared to M21. I want to try it because some say that Collinite 845 has excellent durability combined with an ease of use. But Since this liquid wax is so liquid (in my opinion), I confuse in choosing the right way to apply it. Maybe you know or ever use this product then would you tell me evrything about it. How you apply it, how much you put it to the pad, how thin you apply it, how long you leave it before you buff it with MF towel.
Anyway everthing about this collinite 845, I want to know all of it.
Thanks guys for the information.

BobbyG
03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Collinite 845 is somewhat temperature sensitive, not as far as applying it but getting it out of the bottle. If it becomes thick just place the bottle under how water and as it begins to melt shake vigorously until it can be squeezed out on the pad.

Application

I apply most of my sealants and waxes using my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a red pad.

Place 4 nickel sized dots on the outer edges of the pad.
Adjust the speed setting to 3 or 3.5
Place the pad against the paint
Turn on the machine and spread it SUPER THIN

Collinite 845 is one of those waxes that must be applied very thin. IF it's too thick it can become difficult to buff off and almost sticky until it's removed.

Allow it to haze and then buff with a soft Microfiber towel

SeaJay's
03-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Collinite 845 is somewhat temperature sensitive, not as far as applying it but getting it out of the bottle. If it becomes thick just place the bottle under how water and as it begins to melt shake vigorously until it can be squeezed out on the pad.

Application

I apply most of my sealants and waxes using my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a red pad.

Collinite 845 is one of those waxes that must be applied very thin. IF it's too thick it can become difficult to buff off and almost sticky until it's removed.

:iagree: Thin is in! If it's put on too thick it will be a pain to remove. Great wax though as long as you apply it thinly you'll be fine and impressed with the results.

PA DETAILER
03-14-2011, 08:09 AM
just applied this past week. make sure you get it in its liquid form. heat it up under hot water if you have to. as a tip, i replaced the top with a different one (squeez type). 845 will not correct the paint, so make sure you polish or use a paint cleaner first. i used a terry cloth applicator. foam would be great also. secret here is to apply a THIN coat. do a panel,let it haze, go onto the next section, then remove from the previous panel. i used a MF towel for removal. this was done all by hand. on a fire red GMC. there was no streaking. very easy to work with. one word of caution: you will be amazed at your paint! it should look like a deep pool of water when your done! first rain or wash will be amazing. water just beads and runs off like mad. do your wheels too! some have done the glass with great results also. take your time. prep the paint before 845. and you should be rewarded with (5-7 months) of durable protection.

FAQs about Collinite Wax Products :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial (http://www.collinite.com/faqs.htm)

JefriLay
03-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Application

Hi BobbyG, we meet again...
About the pad, I'm going to use my LC black CCS finishing foam pad, is it okay using this black pad when waxing?
Thanks.

JefriLay
03-14-2011, 08:21 AM
:iagree: Thin is in! If it's put on too thick it will be a pain to remove. Great wax though as long as you apply it thinly you'll be fine and impressed with the results.

Can't wait to apply this wax, but I just need to learn more about it first. Thanks to you SeaJay's...

JefriLay
03-14-2011, 08:29 AM
just applied this past week. make sure you get it in its liquid form. heat it up under hot water if you have to. as a tip, i replaced the top with a different one (squeez type). 845 will not correct the paint, so make sure you polish or use a paint cleaner first. i used a terry cloth applicator. foam would be great also. secret here is to apply a THIN coat. do a panel,let it haze, go onto the next section, then remove from the previous panel. i used a MF towel for removal. this was done all by hand. on a fire red GMC. there was no streaking. very easy to work with. one word of caution: you will be amazed at your paint! it should look like a deep pool of water when your done! first rain or wash will be amazing. water just beads and runs off like mad. do your wheels too! some have done the glass with great results also. take your time. prep the paint before 845. and you should be rewarded with (5-7 months) of durable protection.

FAQs about Collinite Wax Products# :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial (http://www.collinite.com/faqs.htm)

Thanks GMC, because of those things you mentioned above, I want to try Collinite 845 on my black car. And now I understand why it is so liquid when the courier give the package for me, it looked like the van is hot, that's why it was so liquid. I just checked the collinite and it is more condensed.
By the way, it can be used on glass too, can't it?

PA DETAILER
03-14-2011, 08:37 AM
i have not used it on glass, but read it can be with great results! one more thing....SHAKE..SHAKE..SHAKE the bottle up before and during use.

JefriLay
03-14-2011, 08:43 AM
i have not used it on glass, but read it can be with great results! one more thing....SHAKE..SHAKE..SHAKE the bottle up before and during use.

Noted GMC.. and thanks again :cheers:

WRAPT C5Z06
03-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Make sure you shake it very well prior to application!!!

StoneRaizer
03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
About the pad, I'm going to use my LC black CCS finishing foam pad, is it okay using this black pad when waxing?
Thanks.

I'm not BobbyG, but I can answer your question - the black CCS pad is fine. Last November I put a coat of 845 on my car using that pad and after 4 1/2 months of snow, rain, freezing rain, salt and sand I can confirm that the 845 is still beading water. 845 is like liquid body armor.

JefriLay
03-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Make sure you shake it very well prior to application!!!

Thanks Mark, it begins clear to me. Some advice and informations here is more valuable than talking with the seller here in Indonesia, they seemed don't care about my questions... but in this forum I got friends who willingly help me to sove my problem. That's including you my friend.:cheers:

JefriLay
03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm not BobbyG, but I can answer your question - the black CCS pad is fine. Last November I put a coat of 845 on my car using that pad and after 4 1/2 months of snow, rain, freezing rain, salt and sand I can confirm that the 845 is still beading water. 845 is like liquid body armor.

Thanks StoneRaizer, now I got the equipment and the chemical and also a sufficient knowledge about Collinite 845. Will apply this 845 this weekend and I will show you the result... just wait...
Waxing time.....:buffing:

BobbyG
03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks.

Hey JefriLay,

In a word; yes. Lake Country's black or gray pad has no cut and works well for applying waxes and sealants.

BobbyG
03-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Collinite should pay you to use this phrase!! :dblthumb2:

I couldn't have said it better!!!