PDA

View Full Version : Used UPGP because of all the hype and...

fredcandetail
03-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I tried this today as I read about the enhanced gloss, the extra lubricity slickness and ease of use and I'm not all that thrilled.
I have used OPTI Seal for the past 3 months and applications were far more easier to clean up after and at best the UPGP has maybe a 10% slicker feel... They both go on easy but both don't dry and settle the same with OPTI seal sealing and hazing over with hardly any spots needing touch up with a mf
UPGP on the other hand wouldn't not self discipate and every panel had to be QD and buffed to remove the haze.
My paint is near perfect got 151'd about 45 days ago hit wih Souveran then two weeks later OS .. It's been about 3 weeks since I applied OS and I don't suspect hat could be a problem but nonethelss a little disappointed with UPGP
Btw love the big bone applicator pad UPGP comes with!

zliegen
03-13-2011, 11:00 PM
UPGP really takes quite a bit longer to cure than Optiseal in my experience.. I don't even bother to look or touch my car until 12 hours after applying UPGP because it does take A WHILE to set and cure.

Optiseal "looks" ready after only a couple hours or less. I'm also thinking that perhaps you put on the UPGP too heavily, it requires much less product than Optiseal IMO.

Edit:
I have absolutely no affiliation with Ultima products, but I stand behind UPGP 100%.. it is absolutely my favorite product and I have tried Opti-seal as well...

fredcandetail
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
WOW 12 hours to cure.... why would any product need that much time to set up ... Now im even more convinced that this cant be used om my clients vehicles ... i mean what do i tell a client "dont mind the haze it will go away within 12 hours" ... guess i should have read up on it more

Dr Oldz
03-13-2011, 11:37 PM
If you experienced a haze, I believe you may have it on to heavily. Usually by the time I get back to where I started on a vehicle it is dry to the touch for most part. I never experienced a haze. Although I have only used it about 8 times so far. And the 12 hour cure time is standard with any sealant..... Just can't get it wet in those 12 hours. Like I said I am not as experiences with this products as others here are. Maybe a PM to CEE DOG will help solve your probles as he is very knowledgeable of the Ultima line.

zliegen
03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
WOW 12 hours to cure.... why would any product need that much time to set up ... Now im even more convinced that this cant be used om my clients vehicles ... i mean what do i tell a client "dont mind the haze it will go away within 12 hours" ... guess i should have read up on it more

Yeah, I suppose that would be what you would need to tell your clients. I only use this product on my personal vehicle because of the long cure time because I do agree with you in that I wouldn't give back a car to a paying customer if it wasn't 100% ready to hit the road.

It stinks that you weren't aware of the cure time before you bought the product.

If you experienced a haze, I believe you may have it on to heavily. Usually by the time I get back to where I started on a vehicle it is dry to the touch for most part. I never experienced a haze. Although I have only used it about 8 times so far. And the 12 hour cure time is standard with any sealant..... Just can't get it wet in those 12 hours. Like I said I am not as experiences with this products as others here are. Maybe a PM to CEE DOG will help solve your probles as he is very knowledgeable of the Ultima line.

This has been my personal experience with UPGP as well. I think that the OP probably used it too heavily. On dark colors I have observed VERY SLIGHT hazing that can be seen for around ~6 hours, but it has always gone away without needing to buff, after waiting longer. I wouldn't let it get wet before 12 hours of curing though.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Cracks me up how these WOWA sealants are supposed to be so easy to apply, yet they tend to be less user friendly than traditional waxes.

Sent using Tapatalk

Lasthope05
03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
How much product are you using because if you are getting hazing problems you are using way too much. 1 spray after priming the pad is more than enough product to do an entire panel or half a hood. You should not be getting any hazing unless you applied it too thick. UGPG cures in an hour and the paint can then be touched/buffed but it takes 12-24 hours like all sealants for it to fully cross link and bond with each other.

Matt
03-14-2011, 12:45 AM
The haze only really takes a long time to dissapear if you apply too heavily.

It needs to go on so thin that u can barely see it on a light coloured car. Try spritzing the applicator twice (from dry) then wiping over half the hood throughly (for a mid sized car, maybe only 1/3 of the hood on a large car). This is all you need to apply and if you do only use this amount of product, then you know you have it on thin enough.

Also, are there any polishing oils left over on the paint from the polishing step? UGPG won't bond properly to a surface with wax/ sealants or polishing oils on it.

I hope you have some better luck with it.

BobbyG
03-14-2011, 06:50 AM
I have some but due to a long New England winter I haven't personally tried it yet but certainly intend to. From that I can remember reading others comments, Ultima Paint Guard Plus must be put on THIN and with little to no haze.

"Ultima Paint Guard Plus is a hyper-concentrated formula. When used as directed, a single 4 ounce bottle is enough product to coat a mid-size vehicle up to 20 times. Our super durable formula protects for months, but you may apply it as frequently as you like."

I believe CEE DOG, Corey, did a review on Ultima Paint Guard Plus not all that long ago. Corey, if you did could you add a thought or two?

CEE DOG
03-14-2011, 07:27 AM

:iagree:

Cracks me up how these WOWA sealants are supposed to be so easy to apply, yet they tend to be less user friendly than traditional waxes.

Sent using Tapatalk

I understand your point Mark but what is going on here is incorrect application. I think you are incorrect here buddy. While there might be a specific way of application for some products (and a window that is smaller or larger rom for error) if you just use them twice and learn from your mistakes or even better do the research up front the payoff is good. This is like one of the many threads we have seen on here where somebody says a product doesn't work or someting to that affect but the truth is they didn't follow the directions properly. I have used a few more traditional waxes and sealants that I thought were terrible to remove but after doing some research my application method was not appropriate.

How much product are you using because if you are getting hazing problems you are using way too much. 1 spray after priming the pad is more than enough product to do an entire panel or half a hood. You should not be getting any hazing unless you applied it too thick. UGPG cures in an hour and the paint can then be touched/buffed but it takes 12-24 hours like all sealants for it to fully cross link and bond with each other.

The haze only really takes a long time to dissapear if you apply too heavily.

It needs to go on so thin that u can barely see it on a light coloured car. Try spritzing the applicator twice (from dry) then wiping over half the hood throughly (for a mid sized car, maybe only 1/3 of the hood on a large car). This is all you need to apply and if you do only use this amount of product, then you know you have it on thin enough.

Also, are there any polishing oils left over on the paint from the polishing step? UGPG won't bond properly to a surface with wax/ sealants or polishing oils on it.

I hope you have some better luck with it.

I have some but due to a long New England winter I haven't personally tried it yet but certainly intend to. From that I can remember reading others comments, Ultima Paint Guard Plus must be put on THIN and with little to no haze.

"Ultima Paint Guard Plus is a hyper-concentrated formula. When used as directed, a single 4 ounce bottle is enough product to coat a mid-size vehicle up to 20 times. Our super durable formula protects for months, but you may apply it as frequently as you like."

I believe CEE DOG, Corey, did a review on Ultima Paint Guard Plus not all that long ago. Corey, if you did could you add a thought or two?

What everybody is saying is right on. Your application was incorrect and that is why you got haziness. I have never even had 1 spot EVER, EVER that I had to go back and buff. I think everybody already nailed it for you in the above comments but here are my tips that I posted before.

UPGP tips:

Ultima Paint prep plus works as a light cleaning polish but also leaves behind a primer for the UPGP. You do not have to use the UPPP. If you don't then you should clean the paint after polishing so the UPGP bonds properly.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

UPGP is extremely easy to apply. The mistake people make is they apply too much. Apply the UPGP by hand and follow the directions! Below is my method which should not contradict the instructions you receive with the product.

1.-Shake the bottle.

2.-Take a clean microfiber applicator and spray 1 spray onto it to prime it.

3.-Spray it once more and do about a 3 SQ FT area.

4.-Apply in circular motions just making sure to overlap and cover the entire area. You are not polishing so no need to rub too hard or over and over. I always finish with straight lines from front to back of the panel. 3 SQ FT is an estimate. Another thing to look for is that your applicator is no longer leaving anything on the paint. But on certain colors and without really good lighting its sometimes hard to tell anyway. I basically make sure I do about 3 SQ FT. Then I'll wipe over to the side a bit where I know I haven't applied any to see if there is still anything coming off the pad. Fred gave me a tip that is a great idea. When you are no longer sure if anything is on the pad touch your clean window with it and you'll be able to see if there is still product on the applicator.

5.-If I don't see anything then its time for a (1) more spritz to the applicator.

6.-Repeat until you get to the last panel. Now just walk away. There may or may not be a slight film on the paint for a bit. However it starts it's bonding process immediately. Now just DO NOT touch. Wait 12 hours and inspect. There should be no need to do anything else. This is not a product that you have to buff off. In the unlikely chance that there is a streak somewhere after 12 hours of curing simply take some Ultima QD and spray and wipe the streak with a high quality MF towel.

Notes:

After every panel or two give the bottle another quick shake.

Even though on some colors or in some lighting it seems like you aren't putting anything on your paint just TRUST the product. It will come out great if you don't over apply. I didn't have any trouble at all even the first time but I have read some people apply too much. It is a little disconcerting not always being able to tell if you are putting anything on your paint.

Assuming you have a garage that isn't dusty you can place the second coat after 12 hours. If there is going to be a little dust on the car then I would qd with Ultima QD spray and then add next coat. I place 3 layers of UPGP over the paint. One coat every 12 hours. If you prefer you could just do one coat or 10. That's up to you. Enjoy :)

Ultima Paint Prep Plus
Ultima Paint prep plus works as a light polish but also leaves behind a primer for the UPGP. You do not have to use the UPPP. If you don't then you should clean the paint after polishing so the UPGP bonds properly. Personally I would recommend using the UPPP if you want the best durability. Also it does leave a great gloss when used properly.

rfinkle2
03-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Although I do agree that Opti-seal is easier to apply without getting streaks (very forgiving of heavy applications), I have found 1 coat of upgp to be much slicker (i.e. >10%) than Opti-seal. I don't know exactly how to quantify the slickness, but if asked, I'd say UPGP is 2x's as slick as Opti-seal.

If you were to apply more than 1 coat, UPGP quickly catches up to Optimum in the looks dept.

UPGP may be the only lsp that I've used that maintains its slickness after washing.

Rhudeboye
03-14-2011, 08:23 AM
I love UPGP. It's a great WOWA. It's no surprise that people over use this product. it doest seem possible to stretch it so far. One spay does about one panel.My first use, I was doing 3 sprays as I assumed the pad was absorbing it. Not big deal, I just had to buff it out.