PDA

View Full Version : silicone vs. water based

Masters Touch
12-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Can somebody advise me on the difference between using water-based dressings and silicone based dressings? I assumed silicone would probably be used for exterior components and water-based would be used in the interior. Is that correct? As you can probably tell I am new to the detailing industry.

Excessive Detail
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Either could be used inside and out, but its probably better to do it the way your talking about. Of course waterbased dressings can be diluted, which gives it little chance on the outside, were silicons can not be diluted and give it a better chance with the elements. Stick with the water base on the inside, less glare and sticky residue.

sparkie
12-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Welcome to AG!
yep I agree with Excessive Detail. One thing you should know is, do not used silicons base products on leather. It will push out the natural oils in the leather and dry the leather out..

ScottB
12-27-2006, 09:03 PM
actually you need to go further than this, as their are good silicones and bad silicones. The silicones used in those cheap wheel dressings can damage tires over time. Then literally discolor them (ever seen tire look really brown after rain) and can damage rubber over time. Luckily tires are replaced relatively frequently.

Water based dressings, or poly based, are just that. Emulsions in water that are less harmful to you, environment, and the pieces being used on. Unfortunately most do not offer long term durability, and must be replaced often.

TOGWT
12-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Tyre Dressings:
a) Water based dressings- PDMS (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas silicone is not. (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™, also contains UV Radiation protection)
b) Silicone-based dressings- DMS (usually a clear greasy liquid) that do not contain UV radiation protection and contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone is also not biodegradable. (Eagle One® Tire Shine Spray & Gel)
c) Application- spray a little dressing on sponge/applicator, spread evenly across the tyre surface, remove excess dressing and allow to dry before using the vehicle, if you prefer a matt finish wipe tyre with a cloth

wytstang
12-28-2006, 10:38 AM
actually you need to go further than this, as their are good silicones and bad silicones. The silicones used in those cheap wheel dressings can damage tires over time. Then literally discolor them (ever seen tire look really brown after rain) and can damage rubber over time. Luckily tires are replaced relatively frequently.

Water based dressings, or poly based, are just that. Emulsions in water that are less harmful to you, environment, and the pieces being used on. Unfortunately most do not offer long term durability, and must be replaced often.
Not true (to an extent) BnB has this effect on my new tires. They are now brown when the dressing is worn off and BnB was thr only tire dressing I was using hence why I tried Wolfgangs tire dressing (which is better then BnB imho).