PDA

View Full Version : How to get a clean hood...???

Crosby87
03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
My hood never seems to look clean. I realize it is a horizontal surface so it will get/show more dirt. When we washed the car today, I actually washed the hood twice...right after the roof and at the very end. Does anyone do anything special for their hood?

I am using Eiman Fabrik shampoo with a waffle-weave microfiber to blot dry.

jpegs13
03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
It's paint just like the rest of the car. No reason that I can think of. Post pics if you can

Wendell Jarvis
03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
It's paint just like the rest of the car. No reason that I can think of. Post pics if you can

I am confused too.???? :Picture:

TornadoRed
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Water spots?

embolism
03-13-2011, 05:58 PM
road rash chips?

Dr Oldz
03-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Possible oxidation?? A pic would certainly help!

BobbyG
03-13-2011, 06:08 PM
The paint on your hood is normally no different than the rest of the car.

What year is your car?
What color is the paint?
Is the paint damaged?

Clear-coat failure
Heavily oxidized
Chemical damage

Do you have any photos of the hood?

Crosby87
03-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Ok...I guess that answers my first question...it shouldn't be any dirtier than the rest of the car. I will try to post pics. I had a professional paint correction done on it about 4 months ago. So, the paint is in great shape...no swirling, no holograms. I think I may need to clay it, but I am an amateur still so I will need to study up on it. How easy is it to screw up your paint by claying?

I will post pics of the hood when I get a chance.

CEE DOG
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Claying is very simple if you follow these simple rules:

Wash the car first
Use a constant Lubricant spray while claying
Don't press down on the clay but instead let it glide across the paint
Use a Clay that isn't too aggressive for your purpose
Reshape the clay often
If you drop the clay throw it away
Use common sense

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
03-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Ok...I guess that answers my first question...it shouldn't be any dirtier than the rest of the car. I will try to post pics. I had a professional paint correction done on it about 4 months ago. So, the paint is in great shape...no swirling, no holograms. I think I may need to clay it, but I am an amateur still so I will need to study up on it. How easy is it to screw up your paint by claying?

I will post pics of the hood when I get a chance.

Are you talking about the "feel" of the paint or the actual look? You will find that you do have to clay the horizontal panels quicker than the vertical ones. I just do both at the same time anyway. We are located next to a body shop so there is always a little bit of paint deposit no matter how good the filters are lol but they normally come off with a good protected finish and a wash.

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I think I may need to clay it, but I am an amateur still so I will need to study up on it. How easy is it to screw up your paint by claying?

Just make sure everything is surgically clean... clean car, clean hands, etc.

How to use detailing clay to remove "Above Surface Bonded Contaminants" and restore a smooth as silk surface.

Part 1 - How To Use Detailing Clay
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4]YouTube - Part 1 - How to use detailing clay[/video]

Part 2 - How To Use Detailing Clay
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM]YouTube - Part 2 - How to use detailing clay[/video]

Visit Autogeek's YouTube Channel for more YouTube Videos (http://www.youtube.com/autogeek)

:)