PDA

View Full Version : polish/sealer/wax pad/mf combos???

prow
03-13-2011, 12:52 PM
hello everyone. i am about to buy a self made polishing kit. i do have some questions on it though. just when i think i got it all fiqured out, i get confussed on what pad and buff cloth to use. i hope you guys can help me out on this. ok first, i will be getting a griot's 6" orbital and use a 5" backing plate with LC CCS 5.5" pads. the polishes will be menzerna. then i will, sometimes, use just wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0, or just soulveran paste wax, or both. also i will use Collinite liquid wax #845 instead of soulveran paste at times. this is what i think i got right so far;

-intensive polish-- white pad, if needed orange pad, clean with artic white MF.

-final finish (aka final polish)-- grey pad, clean with artic white MF

thats it. now for the parts i am confussed about..

-finishing glaze--blue or red pad????, clean with artic white MF

-WG deep gloss--red or gold pad or blue????, clean with cobra gold MF

-soulveran Paste--red or gold pad???, clean with cobra gold MF

-collinite #845 liquid---blue, red or gold pad????, clean with cobra gold MF

any advice on which pad is better for product application? also if possible why blue over red or red over gold ect....i get messed up becaue of different examples. like on LC pad chart it gives an example of product for each pad, for the red pad it says use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. but on Wolfgang Porter Cable kit it says to use a blue pad with deep gloss then somewhere else it said use a gold pad :confused:

rfinkle2
03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
keep in mind that the density of the pad dictates the amount of pressure you can put on the polisher and the amount of "cut" the pad will offer.

Imo, you will want to use the softest pad available in the size that fits your backing plate to apply your lsp.

Usually, the pads are organized on Autogeek's site in some type of order...most cut to least or vice versa, and followed by a brief description of the task the pad is made for.

BobbyG
03-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Hello,

Instead of going into allot of explanation read the definition of use next to each pad. Lake Country does a great job at explaining the differences and usage.

CCS foam buffing pads,foam polishing pads,lake country foam pads,foam polisher pads,buffer pads,lake county pads,porter cable pads,pads for air sander (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-5-5inch-foam-buffing-pads.html)

prow
03-13-2011, 08:06 PM
hi yeah i seen that, but its suggest different ones on the kits. just wanted to know what someone with some experience would suggest. i guess i could ask it in a different way.

which pad would you use to apply;

menzerna finishing glaze?
wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0?
soulveran Paste wax?
collinite #845 liquid wax?