PDA

View Full Version : How to properly run a Dual Action Polisher???

Pages : [1] 2

JefriLay
03-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Hi all,
Recenly I've bought Porter Cable 7424XP and have used it several times, but sometime I find the PC stop rotating when the position is not flat. the questions are:
1. How to hold the PC while working with it?? I've removed the handle and put tape around it. so the cover won't escape easily.
2. Why sometimes it is stop rotating? For example if I apply M80 with the speed set to 5 and pressure 15-20 pounds sometimes the PC stop rotating. I've put a mark on the backing plate also.
3. When it is stop rotating, is it still polishing because the PC is just shaking when it is stop rotating?
4. How to properly run a PC (in my cases) on complex surfaces?? Such as edges or the transfer from the top of the car to the side of the car.
FYI The backing plate I use now is 5.5" and the pad is 6".
I think that's all for now. Need responds as many as possible.
Thanks in advance guys for the advice and information.
Best regards,
Jefri Lay
Feed back please

BobbyG
03-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Take a look at these.

Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html)

A4 1.8tqm
03-13-2011, 10:57 AM
2- If it stops rotating, just lighten up the pressure a little.

3- No, when the pad stops rotating it is not effectively polishing.

4- Hold the polisher so the pad is flat on the panel's surface. If you are working on an area that is not flat, use less pressure because all the force is concentrated on the smaller point of contact. When working on an edge with only partial pad contact, be sure that the pad rotates "off" the edge and not "against" the edge. If your pad is over-saturated (heavy and wet with a lot of spent polish) it may tend to stop rotating, switch to a new pad. :cheers:

JefriLay
03-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Take a look at these.

Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html)

Thanks for the link you gave me BobbyG. But still I need some more respond to this matter. :cheers:

WRAPT C5Z06
03-13-2011, 11:10 AM
It's hard to explain how to keep the pad from stopping rotation on non-flat panels. You have to practice, try different things, and figure out what works best.

JefriLay
03-13-2011, 11:16 AM
2- If it stops rotating, just lighten up the pressure a little.

3- No, when the pad stops rotating it is not effectively polishing.

4- Hold the polisher so the pad is flat on the panel's surface. If you are working on an area that is not flat, use less pressure because all the force is concentrated on the smaller point of contact. When working on an edge with only partial pad contact, be sure that the pad rotates "off" the edge and not "against" the edge. If your pad is over-saturated (heavy and wet with a lot of spent polish) it may tend to stop rotating, switch to a new pad. :cheers:

So when it stop rotating I should only lighten up the pressure?? but if I lighten up the pressure when removing swirls, do this decreasing the power to remove swirls? (because one said to remove swirls you have to set the speed to 5-6 and the pressure to 15-20 pounds)

Since I have only one yellow pad to remove swirls, can I just clean the pad on the fly when the pad is over-saturated??

Anyway thanks A4 1.8tqm for your respond...:pc7424:

JefriLay
03-13-2011, 11:20 AM
It's hard to explain how to keep the pad from stopping rotation on non-flat panels. You have to practice, try different things, and figure out what works best.

Okay, more practice should fix this problem for sure.
What do you think using smaller pad and backing plate eg: 4" (right now I use 5.5" backing plate and 6" pad). Will the smaller pad avoid the PC from stop spinning???
Thanks 07 z-oh-6. :cheers:

WRAPT C5Z06
03-13-2011, 11:21 AM
So when it stop rotating I should only lighten up the pressure?? but if I lighten up the pressure when removing swirls, do this decreasing the power to remove swirls? (because one said to remove swirls you have to set the speed to 5-6 and the pressure to 15-20 pounds)

Since I have only one yellow pad to remove swirls, can I just clean the pad on the fly when the pad is over-saturated??

Anyway thanks A4 1.8tqm for your respond...:pc7424:
If you're working on a non-flat panel and the pad stops rotating, try moving the polisher at a different angle, adjust your technique. Sometimes, there's just no way to keep the pad rotating at all times, unless you have a Flex 3401 DA.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Okay, more practice should fix this problem for sure.
What do you think using smaller pad and backing plate eg: 4" (right now I use 5.5" backing plate and 6" pad). Will the smaller pad avoid the PC from stop spinning???
Thanks 07 z-oh-6. :cheers:
You're probably using a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. ;) That is the proffered combo when using a PC. A 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads is not practical when polishing an entire car. It's great for small or tight areas, but for the majority of polising, stick to a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. :cheers:

JefriLay
03-13-2011, 11:31 AM
You're probably using a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. ;) That is the proffered combo when using a PC. A 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads is not practical when polishing an entire car. It's great for small or tight areas, but for the majority of polising, stick to a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. :cheers:

Really appreciate the information Mark. :xyxthumbs:
So "this stop spinning thing" also happened to all PC user right?
Great people here on Autogeekonline :righton:
:wave:

sulla
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
So when it stop rotating I should only lighten up the pressure??
Yes

but if I lighten up the pressure when removing swirls, do this decreasing the power to remove swirls?

Yes to more pressure means more power

But...more power to a rotating pad than a non-rotating pad you may have confused 15-20 pounds with 15-20 kg... 15-20 pounds is only about 6-8 kg pressure..the difference is not too noticable if you are not used to polishing..

I would suggest that you worry not about pressure just make sure the pad rotates and as time goes by you'd develop a feel on how much pressure you can exert to the pad

Yes but it's time consuming, it's much faster to switch pads... I'm not talking about merely cleaning the pad against a towel..after two three panels there's only so much a towel can clean.. you'll need to wash the pad with a soap in the sink or with a grit guard pad washer and dry it afterward (squeeze all the water out with your fingers and then put it against a grit guard until no more water splatter from your pad)

JefriLay
03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes

Yes to more pressure means more power

But...more power to a rotating pad than a non-rotating pad you may have confused 15-20 pounds with 15-20 kg... 15-20 pounds is only about 6-8 kg pressure..the difference is not too noticable if you are not used to polishing..

I would suggest that you worry not about pressure just make sure the pad rotates and as time goes by you'd develop a feel on how much pressure you can exert to the pad

Yes but it's time consuming, it's much faster to switch pads... I'm not talking about merely cleaning the pad against a towel..after two three panels there's only so much a towel can clean.. you'll need to wash the pad with a soap in the sink or with a grit guard pad washer and dry it afterward (squeeze all the water out with your fingers and then put it against a grit guard until no more water splatter from your pad)

Thanks bro, I got all your answers clear. Actually I have tried to measure 6-8kg pressure by scale but in practical it seemed too hard to measure. Will practice more to get this matter solved.
:thankyousign:

WRAPT C5Z06
03-13-2011, 11:48 AM
So "this stop spinning thing" also happened to all PC user right?

Absolutely! You're not the only one ;)

Sent using Tapatalk

A4 1.8tqm
03-13-2011, 12:11 PM
If you're working on a non-flat panel and the pad stops rotating, try moving the polisher at a different angle, adjust your technique.

:iagree: :xyxthumbs:

I would suggest that you do not worry about pressure, just make sure the pad rotates and as time goes by you'll develop a feel on how much pressure you can exert to the pad

:iagree: :dblthumb2:

ShaunD
03-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I will try not to repeat anything already said. But, yes the pad spinning is more effective than too much pressure and the pad not spinning. You want to be careful with to much speed near body lines and panel edges with a compounding pad and compounding chemical. You will not burn through the clear coat as much as you will cut it away; that is why they are called cutting pads, you are actually cutting paint away to remove scratches/defects. You can build up heat with the 7424 and start to melt the glue holding the velcro to the pad and backing plate. The most important thing with swirl/defect removal is keeping the pad spinning and slow hand speed. If you just have the pad spinning fast and don't move slow enough across the defect you are trying to remove then you aren't going to get the results you are looking for as quickly. I would recommend staying away from the 6 speed setting on the PC7424 until you get the hang of keeping the pad spinning at lower settings. It might be wise to practice with a white pad and a polish vise a cutting pad and a compound. Stick to working areas under 2 feet by 2 feet(.6 meter by .6 meter). More like 18 inches square(46cmx46cm). This will let you work the polish/compound before it starts drying and you can monitor your results better. Try looking level with the panel and the pad to see what contact you have that is allowing the pad to spin most efficiently. *Recommend some sort of glasses when doing this as not to get particles in your eyes. Some particles may hit you in the face so be careful.* Again try this at a speed below the 6 setting. You really just have to practice with the PC7424 to get the feel of how much pressure is enough to do the job you want it to. Yes the 4 inch pads are handy and keep you from trying to put a 5.5" pad where it doesn't belong on a car; and keeps you from hand polishing/compounding. But the 4 inch cutting pads can cut through thin clear coat very quickly if trying to use them at the 6 setting. I would stick to 4-5 setting with a 4 inch pad and remember slow hand speed is the key. You will build up heat quicker with the 4" pads if you spin fast and apply too much pressure. So be carefully with the little guys. I tell you this because I had it had on a clients front bumper that had very,very thin clear on a factory sprayed bumper. Thank God I stopped when I did and minimized the damage. That being said, be even more careful on bumpers and curved edges and body panels. Godspeed and best wishes with your detailing and hope to see some results when your done.:)