PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with 3M Film Protection?

YankeeFan
12-27-2006, 12:12 PM
I had the film applied this past Friday. I am going to call both 3M and X-Pel but nervous the person(s) I talk with will give me the wrong info. I was hoping some of you might have had experience detailing a car or two with this material.

Care Instructions state, " Do not use waxes that contain dyes. Do not use abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds. Do not use waxes that are not recommended for urethane products".

I understand no polish can be used. Do you know if many sealant/wax manufacturers state on their containers, do not use on urethane? Also, I intend to buy a PC this winter not sure that that can be used? I like to use Duragloss 901, 601 and 105 with Natty's Blue Wax.......hopefully their components work well.

Any easy way for me to ensure I am using a safe product? Any suggestions would help. I guess I may have to use two different products, one set of products for two-thirds of the car and another for the front end.

Thanks,
Howard

ScottB
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Souveran paste, and Zaino are two products that I have seen many use on 3M tapes with no damage. The problem is over time the once invisible tape can become yellow and must be replaced as UV rays can really play upon it.

Anthony Orosco
12-28-2006, 12:14 AM
I install clear bra's as well as care for many cars withit on. I have used FPII and Optimum spray wax on them with no problem.

I also recommend Plexus

Anthony

ltoman
12-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Souveran paste, and Zaino are two products that I have seen many use on 3M tapes with no damage. The problem is over time the once invisible tape can become yellow and must be replaced as UV rays can really play upon it.

I swear, is there ANYTHING here you DON'T know about???
lol.
Wow!!!;) ;)

TOGWT
12-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I install clear bra's as well as care for many cars withit on. I have used FPII and Optimum spray wax on them with no problem.

I also recommend Plexus

Anthony :iagree:

YankeeFan
12-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Yep, they will yellow but I felt I had little choice as a regular bra is a pain in the butt plus can cause more damage. I drive 60 miles on a 2-lane highway to work, many drivers do not allow you to back off the car in front as they will do all sorts of stuff, either tailgating or jumping ahead. I bought the car on August 9th of this yr. You should see the amount of marks already made on my hood and bumper. So, this is the lesser of many evils.

Howard

YankeeFan
12-28-2006, 06:41 PM

I also recommend Plexus

Anthony

Thanks for your help. Not sure how many you installed but I'm curious, do you find the patterns you cut works well with the cars you place them on? I worked with X-Pel who tells me their bras can be within a 1/16" off the edge of the car hood, etc. But the installer is telling me the patterns don't always stretch to the exact car shape. Do you find the same problem?

Howard

ScottB
12-28-2006, 07:11 PM
I understand your plight ... my black Vette is pelted all over the front. Dont like bra's and feel I would need to replace the 3M tape often. So I got it uncovered and curse alot. I figure every 18 months I'll need a body shop and repaint the nose.