PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Seeking Advice

stn0091
03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Long time lurker here with a few questions. :rolleyes:

I have a one year old black 2010 Honda Accord that is heavily swirled. I'll admit that I wasn't too dedicated to caring for the exterior.

I've acquired a few things to correct the paint on my Accord:

- Griots 6" Random Orbital
- 5" Backing Plate
- 5.5" Lake Country Flat Pads (Orange and White)
- Meguiar's M105
- Meguiar's M205

I did a practice run on a section of the hood of my car.

After washing and claying, I started with M205 on a white pad at a speed of 5 and it turned out great. But after doing an IPA wipedown, I could again see a few minor imperfections. Are there fillers in M205 that conceal some swirls? Should I move onto M205 with an orange pad, or M105 with a orange or white pad?

Also, is an IPA wipedown always a necessary step after paint correction?

Rsurfer
03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Move up to 205 with an orange pad. If that doesn't work move up to 105 with a white pad or orange if needed. Yes always do an IPA wipe down after polishing.
Long time lurker here with a few questions. :rolleyes:

I have a one year old black 2010 Honda Accord that is heavily swirled. I'll admit that I wasn't too dedicated to caring for the exterior.

I've acquired a few things to correct the paint on my Accord:

- Griots 6" Random Orbital
- 5" Backing Plate
- 5.5" Lake Country Flat Pads (Orange and White)
- Meguiar's M105
- Meguiar's M205

I did a practice run on a section of the hood of my car.

After washing and claying, I started with M205 on a white pad at a speed of 5 and it turned out great. But after doing an IPA wipedown, I could again see a few minor imperfections. Are there fillers in M205 that conceal some swirls? Should I move onto M205 with an orange pad, or M105 with a orange or white pad?

Also, is an IPA wipedown always a necessary step after paint correction?

JohnnyC
03-12-2011, 09:47 PM
:iagree:

jamores23
03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
the 105 should further refine the marks left behind by 205 but like mentioned above try it with a white pad first make sure you put some passion behind it and that should work. do a ipa wipe down and check it out, if that doesnt work out go to the orange light cutting pad which had more bite than the white pad and that should do it.

JSMet
03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I too am a beginner, and I recently bought a Honda Civic that's Burgundy metallic in color and seems to show swirls and scratches easily. I tried Wolfgang swirl remover with the orange light cutting pad and got mixed results, maybe because of my inexperience. It looks o.k., but I'm still trying to improve the final result. My question is how much is too much as far as buffing?