PDA

View Full Version : My Red Paint (pics). My Products. What should I use?

mc4nam
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2cr207c.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/r037m1.jpg

Here are 2 pictures of my hood. 1st is a picture outside in bright sun. The 2nd is in the garage with flash. The fine spiderweb looking scratches are a little worse than what you see in the picture. Below is a list of products that I have. I don't want purchase anything else at this time. (Autogeek has got too much of my cash lately!) I will be doing this by hand. I clayed the paint about 3 weeks ago and just put Zaino 2 polish on by hand.

I would assume I should wash with dawn again and re-clay before doing any correction?

So which of these products should I use to get the best out of this paint? The Paint is on a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. It is factory Paint and it does have a clearcoat. I bought the truck used and the paint had been neglected and I neglected it further myself :doh:. I do not mind using multiple layers of product if that will get the best results.

Here is the list. Which ones?:

Zaino Z-18 ClayBar
Zaino ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Zaino Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Zaino Z-2 Pro Show Car Polish for Clear Coat Finishes
Surf City Garage Beyond Clay
Surf City Garage - Nano Seal
Surf City Garage - Nano Glaze
Surf City Garage - Barrier Reef Carnauba Wax
Collinite 845 Wax (Free Sample Courtesy of Samples Thread. Thanks!)
Megs D151 Paint Recon. Cream (Free Sample Courtesy of Samples Thread. Thanks!)
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (Free Sample from AG. Thanks!)
Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (Free Sample from AG. Thanks!)
Optimum No Rinse
Finish Kare 425

Thanks in advance for all ideas and suggestions. I sure hope I have what I need to make this paint glow in my arsenal!

C. Charles Hahn
03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Looks like you've got a lot of sealants and not much by way of correction products. The D151, WG Finishing Glaze, and PPCL are the only options you have and of the three, I think D151 is probably the most likely to do the trick on those swirls (which, really, are pretty minor).

Harleyguy
03-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't any reason why you can't use the Zaino products .I believe the Z5 should do the trick . Are you doing this all by hand ?

mc4nam
03-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Looks like you've got a lot of sealants and not much by way of correction products. The D151, WG Finishing Glaze, and PPCL are the only options you have and of the three, I think D151 is probably the most likely to do the trick on those swirls (which, really, are pretty minor).

Thanks.

I don't any reason why you can't use the Zaino products .I believe the Z5 should do the trick . Are you doing this all by hand ?

Yes. All by hand.

C. Charles Hahn
03-12-2011, 11:02 PM

You DO realize Z5 doesn't remove defects, right? It fills/hides them. Not a permanent solution.

mc4nam
03-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I cleaned my truck 2 bucket ONR style for the 1st time. I hand applied D151 followed by a layer of colinite 845. I did a final touch up with Finish Kare. The swirls are barely noticeable. For a 7 year old daily driver I am very happy with the results.

http://i56.tinypic.com/radnvs.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/20abdoj.jpg

Caraman
03-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I cleaned my truck 2 bucket ONR style for the 1st time. I hand applied D151 followed by a layer of colinite 845. I did a final touch up with Finish Kare. The swirls are barely noticeable. For a 7 year old daily driver I am very happy with the results.

Great work on the truck :dblthumb2: Which Finish Kare product did you use for touch-up? What product(s) did you use on the tires and trim?

mc4nam
03-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Great work on the truck :dblthumb2: Which Finish Kare product did you use for touch-up? What product(s) did you use on the tires and trim?

Thank You!

I used Finish Kare 425 Spray. Just sprayed on a microfiber and did a quick once over to make sure I didn't miss any wax and hopefully the dust will not stick as well to the finish.

I used Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Pro on tires and trim. I normally do not use it on the trim also but after two layers of wax by hand, I was kind of lazy. I already had the applicator covered in the SCG beyond black from doing the tires so I just did the trim also. It came out pretty good. I did take the time before wax to do the black tonneau cover with Aerospace 303.

I did put SCG Black Max Trim Dressing on the trim about a month ago. It is SCG's version of Mothers back to black. it seems to be holding up well.

If you notice, I have a lot of Surf City Garage Products. The reason is my local Orielly's auto parts is getting rid of it all at half price because they no longer will be carrying the line. At full price, I think you can find better than SCG. At half price, it can't be beat in my humble opinion.

D_Nyholm
03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Truck looks great!! Glad you were able to use the samples. I bet you sure are tired after using the D151 by hand!!

For a 7 year old truck and only hand applications of products, it is in some excellent shape!! You are going to love the beading of the Collinite, it is insane.

mc4nam
03-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Truck looks great!! Glad you were able to use the samples. I bet you sure are tired after using the D151 by hand!!

For a 7 year old truck and only hand applications of products, it is in some excellent shape!! You are going to love the beading of the Collinite, it is insane.

Thanks! The samples were much appreciated. Too bad the WB didn't work on wheels, but the barrels of my wheels are cleaner than ever. I forgot to try the DP Tire Gel. I used the SCG Beyond Black that I had. I may try the DP tire on the Wife's Pilot tonight. I did spray some APC+ in the wheel wells at 4-1. It worked pretty good, but It was hard to tell because the wheel wells were not that dirty.

My arms are kind of sore. I messed up and put the D151 on a little thick in a few spots and that gave me an extra workout!

D_Nyholm
03-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Its unfortunate that the WB didn't take away the dark stains, I guess it must be below the clear like they said in the other thread. IT was worth a shot though, and now if you are cleaning a friends car with some NASTY wheels, it'll help you out :)

Next up you'll be looking at getting a PC or even a flex...it is a disease! :)