PDA

View Full Version : 20% IPA solution

Pages : [1] 2

builthatch
03-12-2011, 02:49 AM
FYI, using 91%:

7.1oz of 91% IPA
24.9oz of h2o (i use distilled)

i was running 50/50 w/ 91 for a long time but after doing some research, i feel a little more comfortable with ~20% at this stage. minutiae, maybe, but considering i only do exotics at this point when working on cars that aren't mine, i'm not comfortable with 50/50 any longer. i might even go lower next bottle but i'm going to try this first.

Dr Oldz
03-12-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm still personally against the IPA thing. To me it's all nonsense. A damp towel of good quality will reveal ur polishing results. 20/40 54/38.7354 ... All useless. U guys are just making the job harder for urself.

builthatch
03-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm still personally against the IPA thing. To me it's all nonsense. A damp towel of good quality will reveal ur polishing results. 20/40 54/38.7354 ... All useless. U guys are just making the job harder for urself.

a damp towel will not eliminate the oils. this isn't only important for truly seeing the polishing results but to prep the surface for an LSP.

buddhadog
03-12-2011, 03:22 AM
a damp towel will not eliminate the oils. this isn't only important for truly seeing the polishing results but to prep the surface for an LSP.
Do you say that because the LSP may not adhere to the oils in the polish?

sohail99
03-12-2011, 04:07 AM
LSP may not adhere properly due to the oils left behind on the surface after polishing.

Thereby decreasing the LSP's longevity(if LSP is a sealant/wax)

I wipe the polish residue with a mf towel after misting the towel with IPA(50/50)

Should I go 20%?:confused:

BobbyG
03-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Some use it and some don't.

I've used an IPA wipe down after polishing but I've also used Mineral Spirits and even DuPont Prep-Sol.

We all develop what works best for each of us and tend to stick with something we think works.

Drying a car;

Some use a California Blade, others use a Microfiber drying towel......I use an electric leaf blower....

Bunky
03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
The good thing is people can decide for themselves what works best for them.

It works for me.

dougaross
03-12-2011, 08:18 AM
LSP may not adhere properly due to the oils left behind on the surface after polishing.

I wipe the polish residue with a mf towel after misting the towel with IPA(50/50)

Check this out (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Mike Phillips
03-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

The good thing is people can decide for themselves what works best for them.

As it should be.

:xyxthumbs:

Wendell Jarvis
03-12-2011, 09:01 AM

:iagree::dblthumb2:

master detailer
03-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Some use it and some don't.

I've used an IPA wipe down after polishing but I've also used Mineral Spirits and even DuPont Prep-Sol.

We all develop what works best for each of us and tend to stick with something we think works.

Drying a car;

Some use a California Blade, others use a Microfiber drying towel......I use an electric leaf blower....
blower is the sh-t best thing i got in a long time thank you

sohail99
03-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Check this out (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

Will check em out! Thanks! :D

WRAPT C5Z06
03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm now using about 10% IPA for wipedowns.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dr Oldz
03-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Not arguing with u guys here as we all have our own ways!!!! And I may or may not be right here...... I always felt that the polishing oils are kinda a moisturizer for paint such as hand lotion is for dry skin. I never had a longevity problem after polishing. And a question for you guys that do an IPA wipedown..... If you are worried about polishing oils, would a waterless wash remove these oils? It would seem like a safer method if it did indeed remove these oils. More costly that IPA tho....

Wax Gorilla
03-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I use a 20% to 30% depending on my Final Polishing product and have never had a problem. I think less is more ! Mineral Spirits seems a tad on the harsh side.