PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from Southern Ohio

Ech0
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey guys love the forum & I've been hitting the site alot since I signed up. I've thought seriously a couple times before about getting a polisher but chickened out for fear of burning the paint. This time I've done more research and feel comfortable w/going with either the 7424XP and Griot's ROP. Before this I've always waxed my cars by hand (twice a year).

I plan on washing my truck tomorrow (2010 F150) and assessing the condition of the paint afterwards w/the baggie test :) I also am going to set up a cart I have as my new car detailing cart thanks to some ideas I've seen here.

After the wash tomorrow I'll be heading over to the AG store for the following (I think)....

One of the two polishers mentioned above. I'm having trouble deciding.
Lake country 5 1/2 inch flat pads, 2 Orange, 2 White & 1 Blue or Gray.
5 inch backing plate
Pad cleaner
Clay? (I might go OTC on this one)
Duragloss 101 & 105
Free Sample of ????

I'd be open to any suggestions on changes. I always like going for value items that perform well.

Anyway, thanks guys the site is great! :dblthumb2:

c5z06camaro
03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
welcome to the site.

dad07
03-11-2011, 11:36 PM
First off :welcome: As far as polishers go I have both.I like them both but IMHO the groits has more power. I use the GG with 5" pads and the pc has a 4" set up for those hard to get places.Both machines will get the job done I prefer my GG.Hope this helps some.

Newbiedetail
03-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I am pretty new here also. But welcome

mi77915
03-12-2011, 05:20 AM
:welcome: to the forum!!

BobbyG
03-12-2011, 06:11 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

The two polishers you've mentioned are first rate and either will provide you with years of quality service.

Another option.

Since you're relatively new at detailing would it make sense to take a serious look at a kit? Kits generally contain most everything you need to get started and then some.

XMT Porter Cable 7424 Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, polishing kit, xmt polishes, detailing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocainswr.html)

Menzerna Porter Cable XP Maximum Shine Kit FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-porter-cable-maximum-shine.html)

There hundreds of quality detailing products available. Your selection of products is fine but I've listed some of what I use as food for thought.

Car Wash: Duragloss 901,

Glass Cleaner: Meguiar's Detailer's Glass Cleaner D1200

Tire Cleaner: Amazing Roll-Of

Tires Treatment: Pinnacle Black Onyx

Wheel Cleaner: PS21

Wheel Wax: DP Wheel Glaze, Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant

Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss - Orange Pad

Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish - White Pad

Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD - Gray Pad

Trim: Poorboy's World Trim Restore, Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant

Liquid Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, DP Poli-Coat

Liquid Wax: Collinite 845, Pinnacle Souveran,

Paste Pax: Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Signature Series ll, Poorboy's Natty, DP Max Wax,

Ech0
03-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. BobbyG thanks for taking the time to list out those options. I hope to work my way into some of the items on your list but truthfully don't want to spend the money all at once.

I'm going to check out the kits now....

FUNX650
03-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi and welcome from a fellow Ohioan.....GO BUCKS! Good luck on your detailing supply choices.

Ech0
03-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks Funx725!

I just got done doing the "baggie test" and I couldn't believe it. The truck is 11 months old & my daily driver, but, garage kept. There were little bumps all over the hood and the sides too although not as bad on the sides. I guess that answers the need to clay or not question.

Camryguy
03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Welcome from another fellow Ohioan. I bought the forum favorite kit, magic in a box, also have the Griots DA and love it.
Good Luck and have fun.

bamc
03-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice to see some people from Ohio, i live in ohio also and am new to the site as well. We got 2010 f150's at work not to long ago they are nice good choice of truck.

BuckeyeR/T
03-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi and welcome from a fellow Ohioan.....GO BUCKS! Good luck on your detailing supply choices.
Amen!

Mike Phillips
03-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

On forums, it's usually better to introduce yourself in the Introduction forum and then post your questions to a forum more specific to how-to questions but either way...

:)

Ech0
03-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Will do re: the posts / appropriate forum. I'm still doing a fair amount of reading. There's a lot of good info here.

Thanks for the welcome.... :)