PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay away from holograms?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Setec Astronomy
11-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you probably have some polish residue, either oils or dried product.

marsomthing
11-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Something else I thought of during the night. Did you clean and clay the car real well? That part of the car is usually very dirty and gritty. I wonder if you picked up a contaminate from behind the front tires and marred your door with it? Be sure to inspect your pads for grit. You might try going back over it with clay before repolishing.

I did not clay it right before but I keep it very clean and smooth(imo). what does it mean to mar the paint? Smear contaminates around your clear coat via buffer?

BTW thanks for all the help to a new guy like me!

5.4 Shelby
11-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I did not clay it right before but I keep it very clean and smooth(imo). what does it mean to mar the paint? Smear contaminates around your clear coat via buffer?

BTW thanks for all the help to a new guy like me!
Marring is basically fine scratches in the paint instilled by yourself. Rubbing too hard with paint clay, polishing with a dirty pad, working the polish dry, etc. Compounds, such as M105, UC and D300 will often mar the paint at a very fine level. That is why it is usually necessary to go to a polishing step, such as M205, UP or D301. On dark colors and/or soft paint, you may need to even go to a finishing step like Menzerna PO85rd on a gray pad to get all the marring out.

Dont get too worked up about this. No one starts out perfect. As with anything, it takes pratice and experience to refine your technique. Spend plenty of time practicing on your own vehicles and reading this forum. I had about 8 or 9 years of experience with DA polishers when I found this site 2 years ago. I have gained more in the last 2 years than I did in the first 9 just by reading and discussing on here. There a plenty of good people willing to help you get this figured out. You might even find a local willing to show you some tricks.

marsomthing
11-20-2011, 08:56 PM
After polishing again I noticed it seemed to appear oil like...so I went ahead and just finished it with some wax and it took away the Smear/string/hologram left over.

So I am one happy camper, swirl free in the sun too!!!

5.4 Shelby
11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
After polishing again I noticed it seemed to appear oil like...so I went ahead and just finished it with some wax and it took away the Smear/string/hologram left over.

So I am one happy camper, swirl free in the sun too!!!
Glad you are happy.

In the future, try wiping the panel down after polishing with isopropyl alcohol solution. It will remove the oils. If swirls re-appear after that step, it means the oils were hiding them.

I still think you are working too long or using too much polish or something. Normally the oils will wipe clean. try changing the pad, use less polish and/or clean the pad "on the fly". Might also try changing your polish removal towel more often.

marsomthing
11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the help, I used less on the rest of the car, and it seemed to do the job!!!

once again thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.4 Shelby
11-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the help, I used less on the rest of the car, and it seemed to do the job!!!

once again thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No problem. That is why we are here. Someday you can pass the info you learn on to a new guy when he needs help.