PDA

View Full Version : ultimate compound & rotary ?

Pages : [1] 2

sunstealth
03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
do you guys advice agaisnt using meguiar's UC with a rotary ?

Mike Phillips
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM
do you guys advice agaisnt using meguiar's UC with a rotary ?

Meguiar's doesn't recommend it. Best to go with the manufacturers recommendations.

The rotary version of U.C. is M105

:)

BobbyG
03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I've used it with a rotary with no ill affects.

I see Mike's indicating that Meguiar's doesn't recommend it....I wonder what their thinking is behind this?

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is very similar to Meguiar's M105 however possess a longer working time. I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with both a wool or foam pads.

Is this a general question or is there something more specific that prompted the question?

93fox
03-11-2011, 01:03 PM
:iagree: i have used Ultimate Compound with a wool pad on my Makita and it left stunning results, i have m105 as well but wanted to try out ultimate compound and it worked great! i got some pretty good results with it!

Mike Phillips
03-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Usually, a manufacturer knows their products best since they are the creators of the formulas. With this in mind, the manufacturer doesn't recommend UC for application with a rotary buffer.

They don't say specifically why they don't recommend it for use with a rotary buffer they simply recommend using it by hand or with a DA Polisher.

My guess is that products specifically formulated for use with rotary buffers are formulated to become hot as the action of a buffing pad rotating against the finish will create heat and heat can make a product dry up and in some cases depending upon the ingredients in the product, it can make it gummy and difficult to wipe off.

Note that heat is an unwanted by-product, not a necessary or needed characteristic, I point this out because forever and a day I've read on all kinds of forums that heat is necessary to make abrasives break down and actually it's pressure over time. Heat tends to cause problems, not improve the process.

I don't know that the above is the case with UC, I'm just pointing out general characteristics between different types of products.

You can use a product any which way you like, heck use it for a desert topping if you like, all I wanted to do was answer the OP's original question with some technically correct information.

Carry on with your discussion...

:D

93fox
03-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I like the point mike has made, i will look upon why meguiars dosent reccomend it. The car i was working on had major oxidaztion! I knew M105 would take care of this problem in a heartbeat but i decided to do a test spot with ultimate compound and it looked great, it dosent have the same cutting ability as m105 at all, it just requires a few more passes if you use ultimate compound.

vwman2
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
got some today and going to try out, going to follow it up with The polish then NXT wax. Going to working on a 98 Neon with over 200,000 on it!

Spicy McHaggis
03-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Any chance it could just be marketing? It wouldn't be the first time a company recommended a product for a certain use just to appeal to a specific clientele. Just a thought.

Or maybe it's one of those things where if you use it improperly on a rotary it can cause damage so they want to eliminate all possible fault and say don't use it on a rotary. Kinda like certain APC companies say "not safe for paint" even though we all know you can use it on paint as long as you don't let it dry in the sun. Again just thoughts.

Mike Phillips
03-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Any chance it could just be marketing? It wouldn't be the first time a company recommended a product for a certain use just to appeal to a specific clientele. Just a thought.

Could be, someone could contact Meguiar's and get their official statement on the topic.

Mike Phillips
03-11-2011, 02:26 PM
got some today and going to try out, going to follow it up with The polish then NXT wax. Going to working on a 98 Neon with over 200,000 on it!

Check this out...

Dodge Neon Extreme Makeover with Dodo Juice (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/31073-dodge-neon-extreme-makeover-dodo-juice.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/994/EODodgeNeon003.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
03-11-2011, 03:01 PM
My guess is that products specifically formulated for use with rotary buffers are formulated to become hot as the action of a buffing pad rotating against the finish will create heat and heat can make a product dry up and in some cases depending upon the ingredients in the product, it can make it gummy and difficult to wipe off.

Sounds like 105.

Mike Phillips
03-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Sounds like 105.

Some people would agree with you as some people have problmes with M105. I've already posted over a year ago that I expected to see Meguiar's launch a new and improved version at SEMA due to all the complaints but Jason Rose stated there was no new version coming out and SEMA confirmed his statement.

That doesn't mean there won't be an improvement in the future, maybe SEMA this year?

Depends upon how much feedback they get that's negative. Old saying, the nail that sticks up gets pounded down...

Technology learned from new products like D300 could be incorporated too and they could just make a rolling change.

Every time a manufacture improves a product does not also mean they're going announce it, they just make the change and move on with business.

I asked one of the chemists at Meguiar's about changes to M20 one time and he told me the formula was improved continually over the decades it's been around but no "announcements" come to mind and I've used this product a lot.

sunstealth
03-12-2011, 03:04 AM
i just wanted to know since i still haven't received my DA from autogeek (still blocked in customs) and I have a partial correction to do on a mazda 3 . Also I just bought it on sale at the local canadian tire for 7$ i taught it was a steal of a price so i grabbed 2 bottles!

guccigucci
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
From my experience if you wanna get best and fast results, then you must use professional products like M105 and M205 with either rotary or DA, anything that you can get off the shelf like the ultimate compound in my mind is a waste of time cause productivity is no where comparable to the M105 even though some of the forum members achieved great results from them which is great but i will always stick with the Meguiars twins.

93fox
03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
From my experience if you wanna get best and fast results, then you must use professional products like M105 and M205 with either rotary or DA, anything that you can get off the shelf like the ultimate compound in my mind is a waste of time cause productivity is no where comparable to the M105 even though some of the forum members achieved great results from them which is great but i will always stick with the Meguiars twins.

Some advance auto parts have m105/m205 on the shelfs!