PDA

View Full Version : Question about Meguiars' Ultimate Wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mongoose
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Has anyone here had trouble with Meguiars Ultimate Wax (liquid and/or paste) not drying/curing properly? It doesn't seem to want to work on my black car and even after almost 2 weeks can still be smeared like a thin oily film on the surface. I've tried several tips and suggestions at MOL and have spoken with Customer Care as well but with no resolution. Anyone?

Mike Moore
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Are you using the liquid or paste?

I only had a very minor streaking problem and I wanted it to clear up "right now".
I wiped them with a very lightly water misted microfiber towel and they were gone.

I use the UW liquid and I like the stuff. Easy to use and it leaves a nice gloss finish.

Mongoose
03-10-2011, 05:40 PM
I've used both versions with the same basic results. Don't get me wrong, I think the car looks great...I just know this is not normal for a wax to behave like this.

Mike Phillips
03-10-2011, 05:44 PM
It doesn't seem to want to work on my black car and even after almost 2 weeks can still be smeared like a thin oily film on the surface.

I've tried several tips and suggestions at MOL and have spoken with Customer Care as well but with no resolution. Anyone?

I used the paste, machine applied it to the Challenger but after I was finished with it the car went back to the owner.

1972 Challenger
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/GripStrenght006.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1051/1972Challenger0221.jpg

I used the liquid on this car and same thing, the car went back to the owner...

1970 Cutlass
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1009/1970CutlassFinished001.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1009/1970CutlassFinished002.jpg

Don't remember having any problems with either though...

I'm going to guess the tips and suggestions go like this,

Apply a thin coat
Allow the product to dry till it swipes clear
Use a premium quality microfiber towel to remove the excess product

Just a guess...

Maybe try this,

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)

One of the goals of a paint care chemist is to create formulas that work on "ALL" paints, it's a lofty goal and sometimes hard to reach 100%

It's always possible that maybe a different wax or sealant would work better for you and your car's paint system and/or climate.

:)

Mike Phillips
03-10-2011, 05:46 PM
While you shouldn't have to use a spray detailer to remove any leftover residue, sometimes that will work to remove the film without degrading the results.

:)

Mongoose
03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
All those steps you listed were followed to the letter. The wax was applied first (liquid) with my d/a and then the second attempt was done by hand (paste). The smearing from the paste was not as severe as the liquid but still there. At this point I'm ready to remove this product and go back to my previous LSP (GC+). I was told by the folks at megs that with my paint being in very well maintained condition that the wax may have trouble bonding to the surface. Not sure I believe this or not, what's your thoughts on this?

LuxuryMobile
03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
You applied the liquid version first then followed up with the paste after, correct?

If so, how long did you allow the first coat to sit before wiping and also how long after you wiped did you apply the paste coat?

Mongoose
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
First coat was liquid and was super thin with the d/a. A second coat was applied 48 hours later with the d/a again. After a weeks time and speaking with Meguiars about the problem I removed the first coats and after receiving a free paste version a week later I applied a first paste coat by hand and waited 24 hours to apply the second but there was no second coat. I took one quick trip to get the car inspected and after wiping the car down the smearing reappeared,hence no second coat. I used Quik Detailer and a clean mf to try and clear it up but it's still smearing.

ScottB
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
no issues with the paste version ...

Mike Phillips
03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
All those steps you listed were followed to the letter. The wax was applied first (liquid) with my d/a and then the second attempt was done by hand (paste).

The surface of your car's paint will only hold so much wax... could be just one, thin coat was enough...

After some time goes by and the wax starts to wear off, wash the car and prep it to your satisfaction and try just one thin application of one or the other, the liquid or the paste.

Sometimes more is not always better...
(Except when it comes to my gas tank)

:D

Aetherfury
03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Isn't there a thread somewhere about the new ultimate products only needing a few minutes to dry with a thin coat or else it'll grease up. I'm planning on testing this with my DA soon. The hand application was dried on my car after only 6 minutes and I buffed off with no issues

dad07
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I used the liquid also by hand and removed with no issues.....this was on a yellow mustang...no streaking issues at all

Mongoose I just noticed you live in Monroe! I also Live in Monroe! Not sure why you are having trouble with the megs...but I would be glad to get together some time and check out that ride and help all I can...I have a small shop here at home where I do all my work and its always open for cool cars LOL!

Mongoose
03-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I may take you up on that! As for Mike's last post the car was taken down to the bare paint and the only thing on the surface before the first application of wax was the Ultimate Polish and the problem was there after buffing of the first coat.

dad07
03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I may take you up on that! As for Mike's last post the car was taken down to the bare paint and the only thing on the surface before the first application of wax was the Ultimate Polish and the problem was there after buffing of the first coat.

Just a thought maybe some polish residue left behind before waxing? Did you do ipa wipedown or rewash the the car before waxing? Just some thoughts .

Mongoose
03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
I did an alcohol wipedown after each step to prevent any residue except after the polishing step.