PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Texas

AW82
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
We've got two Hondas (a 2004 Accord sedan in Graphite Pearl and a 2009 CR-V in Alabaster Silver Metalic). I've generally ignored the exterior of the cars and have only been washing them a couple of times a year (oops!).

I joined the forum because I need to get my Accord in better shape, maintain the appearance of the CR-V, and all of the different procedures and products are making my head spin. The Accord is generally in good condition, though there are a few scratches and some clearcoat issues on the trunk lid (car had hail damage that was repaired at a traditional bodyshop [Service King] a couple of years ago...the repair has a warranty though).

I was thinking about taking pictures of the car and making a thread asking for recommended products and steps. Does this sound like a good idea? Should I do it here or the Ask the Expert section or elsewhere?

I'm not looking to win the concours...I want to figure out a fairly simple and straightforward process to get my car back in good shape.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

If these are daily drivers, parked out side all or part of the day, (like when you're at work), then consider,

Washing
Claying
Machine apply a one-step cleaner/wax

See these threads...

Dodge Neon Extreme Makeover with Dodo Juice (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/31073-dodge-neon-extreme-makeover-dodo-juice.html)

KISS Detail - Extreme Makeover - Toyota Highlander (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/30979-kiss-detail-extreme-makeover-toyota-highlander.html) <-----

:)

rbss
03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
:welcome:

AW82
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the links! These are daily drivers and the Accord lives outside (under a pecan tree which makes a mess in the spring). Luckily, my car is nowhere near as bad as either of those. Any advice if I choose do hand application instead of machine?

I am completely open to suggestions as to what will give me the best value, easiest application, and longest lasting protection. Based on surfing these forums, I've been thinking along these lines:
Wash: P21s Bodywork Shampoo
Wheels/Tires: P21s Wheel Gel
Claybar: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (already purchased)
Polish & Protectant: The Klasse AIO/Glaze kit sold by Autogeek
Finish: Collonite #845
Tire Dressing: Some Eagle One that I already have in the garage.

Mike Phillips
03-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Any advice if I choose do hand application instead of machine?

Polish & Protectant: The Klasse AIO/Glaze kit sold by Autogeek

You can use the AIO by hand or machine but it's not going to offer a lot of defect removal ability, for that you really want to get a dedicated polish or even compound.

And working by machine will be faster and you'll get better results than working by hand...

Man versus Machine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/faq/20257-man-versus-machine.html)

Don't forget to swing by this thread... even though you posted your first name here, I'm compiling a list from the posts here...

Roll Call - What's your real first name? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/33701-roll-call-what-s-your-real-first-name.html)

:dblthumb2:

dad07
03-17-2011, 02:52 PM
:welcome: you came to the right place to get those Hondas looking top notch!

cbsb
03-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Hiddy, fellow Texan.

Its a real friendly place here.

I've just started so not feed back results to give. Right now I'm trying products all over the map:

Wash: Duragloss (less expensive but said to have good results)
Wheels/Tires: Wolfgang kit (probably overkill for me, I bet)
Seats and carpet sealant: 303 High Tech Fabric Guard (help out when the kids spill gunk in the car)
Windows: Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner (I've used before - good stuff)
Exterior Trim: Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus (said not to run after a rain)
Claybar: Pinnacle Ultra kit (its a new car - wanted something gentle)
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant (said to be easy to apply and wipe off)
Wax: Collonite #845 (Said to be durable)

AW82
03-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies! I asked a similar question in the Auto Detailing 101 forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/33474-easy-long-lasting-good-value-detail.html) and based on those responses and more research, I decided to go with:

Wheels: P21s Gel
Wash: Duragloss 901
Claybar: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Polish: P21s Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
Wax: Collonite #845
Tire Dressing: Some Eagle One that I already have in the garage.
Free Sample: DP Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner

Everything arrived yesterday (along with a year's supply of styrofoam peanuts). Tomorrow morning I'm going to wash and clay (clay in the garage). If I get the clay done before my other saturday chores, I'll wash again. And if I really have enough time, I'll polish and wax the old gal.

BobbyG
03-18-2011, 07:47 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online, the hope of the detailing obsessed!! :props:

Meghan
03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
:welcome: