PDA

View Full Version : 845 Question

vwman2
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Hello all,

Before I ask my question I just want to say thank you to everyone for making this site so informative.

I been hearing great things about 845 and want to purchase a bottle and see what I’m missing. From all the reading I have done I know Mike Phillips is a "System" guy and likes to use products from the same family. I also have been doing that, what would you recommend I use with 845? I was not sure if they make a 3 step system. I know when I look up 845 on AG they recommend I use a pinnacle product. I currently have Maguire’s compound and polish that I could use for the other steps. Anyone see anything wrong with mixing the two??

Thanks again for your advise.

Jamie

termigator
03-10-2011, 02:57 PM
As far as I know,Collinite does not have a "system". What Meguiar's polishes do you have? From my experience, Meguiar's polishes are compatible with just about any wax/sealant out there. I happen to really like M105 & M205.

SeaJay's
03-10-2011, 03:02 PM
As far as I know,Collinite does not have a "system". What Meguiar's polishes do you have? From my experience, Meguiar's polishes are compatible with just about any wax/sealant out there. I happen to really like M105 & M205.

:iagree: M105, Megs UC, and M205 are some of my favorites and are reasonably priced. I also have topped freshly polished paint with 845 with no ill effects. And that's after using the Megs stuff. Before I lay down a wax or sealant after polishing I always do an IPA wipe down to ensure no oils are left (you can also use a paint cleanser). So basically your starting with a clean surface. So whatever wax or sealant you choose is not going to interact with the polishes you used to take out swirls.

vwman2
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
For the aplication im going to do i wont need M205. Paint in question has some swirls but nothing out of the ordinary. Im using Ultimate Compound and Polish to do this job. I love the M205 on cars that are in need of some real love! haha
Thanks for the advise everyone. I will be ordering some 845 soon.

bullitt 736
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
For the aplication im going to do i wont need M205. Paint in question has some swirls but nothing out of the ordinary. Im using Ultimate Compound and Polish to do this job. I love the M205 on cars that are in need of some real love! haha
Thanks for the advise everyone. I will be ordering some 845 soon.

You realize that M105 and UC have Moe cut than M205??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

vwman2
03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
sorry i confused M105 and 205.

vwman2
03-10-2011, 05:46 PM
would you recoment 105 over the UC?

A4 1.8tqm
03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I currently have Meguire’s compound and polish that I could use for the other steps. Anyone see anything wrong with mixing the two??

There is no need for a compound/polish to have "synergistic compatibility" with a sealant/wax. A polish is used to physically abrade the surface of the paint, when the polishing is done the polish is removed.

You can think of it like woodworking. Use multiple grits of sandpaper (which is like compound/polish) to refine the surface, then apply a coating like Spar Urethane (which is like sealant/wax). The sandpaper is removed from the surface when the sanding is done.

Of course this is not a perfect comparison, if you don't clean all the polish residue/oils from the surface there could be adverse effects to your LSP but you get the idea.

The steps that benefit most from a compatibility standpoint would be LSP's, which ensures good bonding. It is good to have a system approach with polishes. When polishes are intended by the manufacturer to be used in conjunction with each other, it ensures that the difference in aggressiveness of each polish step does not have a major overlap (which could result in removing more paint than necessary) or a major gap (which could result in compound marks left behind after polishing).

Match your polishes, match your LSP's but matching your polish to your LSP is not necessary. :dblthumb2:

A4 1.8tqm
03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
would you recommend 105 over the UC?

UC is the consumer version of 105. UC tends to have a longer working time, less dusting and is not quite as aggressive as 105. Your choice.

vwman2
03-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Thank you for the help, going to give it a shot today. let you know my results