PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on the kompressor pads

ShineTimeDetail
03-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I got some pads from autogeek today and was wondering if I'm doing correction on a Car, is the yellow pad going to need another pad like the Orange or white pad to follow up with? I didnt realize it but I got a yellow pad and a black pad. I didn't know the black pad had no cutting ability. Will I be ok with just a black and yellow pad?

Dr Oldz
03-10-2011, 12:31 AM
I usually find that I need to follow a yellow with a white! The yellow pads offer great cutting ability but generally need some refining afterwards. What products are you using?

ShineTimeDetail
03-10-2011, 12:35 AM
That's what I was going to go with but someone there said to go with black not white. I have all kinds of stuff I'm going to try tomorrow. This is just a practice car but tomorrow is the only day for a while I can do this car. Thats why I took an hour and a half drive to get these pads today LOL

Dr Oldz
03-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Come to think of it Kompressor pads do not come in yellow(I think) Do you have an orange? or maybe gold??

jpegs13
03-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Come to think of it Kompressor pads do not come in yellow(I think) Do you have an orange? or maybe gold??

They do come in yellow. I love 'em!
Lake Country Kompressor 6 inch Foam Pads, Foam Buffing Pads, Lake Country buffer pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-6inch-kompressor-pad-kit.html)

Blackthorn One
03-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Funny I can't get my Kompressors to even stick to my Flex 3401. Miner are the 7 inch Kompressors, however. It looks like there is different velcro on the 6 inch than the 7 inch.

Blackthorn One
03-10-2011, 03:35 AM
They are only available in yellow in the 6 inch, and not the 7 inch size.

ShineTimeDetail
03-10-2011, 07:20 AM
So can I go from yellow to black

Audi X2
03-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Tom I would say it will be dependent on what product you are using.

I would do a small test area to see what results you get going from the yellow to the black with the rotary. I suspect that you will need an in between step with a white pad to remove any haze and traces from the correction step.

If need be you could always do the correction with the D/A and the yellow pad and if you have some white polishing pads for your D/A use that to refine the first stage. This would avoid the need to wait for more pads to complete the job.

ShineTimeDetail
03-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Yea that's what I was thinking. DA takes along time though.

SeaJay's
03-10-2011, 07:45 AM
The yellow kompressor pad may be too much cut (depending on the product you using as well). Also will depend on the type of car your working on and how the paint reacts.

I got the orange compressor pads for my Flex PE14 and used the orange with WG total swirl remover on a Honda Ridgeline and it worked great and actually almost finished LSP ready. The rotary offers a lot more cutting ability than a DA so you can get away with using a pad that offers less cutting ability.

Blackthorn One
03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
So can I go from yellow to black

In degrees of coarseness: Yellow, orange, white, black, red, gold. Yellow most coarse, gold finest. I would go yellow orange white black if I had them. I believe that yellow to black is too big a jump. white is light cutting, black is finessing, gold is fine jeweling, orange is medium cutting, and yellow is coarser than orange.

Dr Oldz
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
They are only available in yellow in the 6 inch, and not the 7 inch size.

Thank you... I second guessed myself as it's been a while since I used kompressor pads. To OP.... Like suggested try a test area and see how your results come with yellow then black. Remember the 3 factors when polishing are product, pad and technique. So with a black pad u may just have to shrink your work area a bit and slow down a bit.... With the right Product, u can get good results. Personally I would grab some white pads next time you can as I feel this will give you the best results. Good luck in your project!!