PDA

View Full Version : PC- ing a new paint job

ltoman
12-26-2006, 10:23 PM
ok, we repainted our son's honda, finally....long story.
anyway, looks pretty good. my husband did it.
he says it is going to need polishing when eventually all of the coats are thoroughly dry.
what on earth would i start with? help!! there is a little dust here and there in it.
Feed back please Feed back please Feed back please

sparkie
12-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Don't know what to tell you! Sorry!

supercharged
12-27-2006, 05:19 AM
ok, we repainted our son's honda, finally....long story.
anyway, looks pretty good. my husband did it.
he says it is going to need polishing when eventually all of the coats are thoroughly dry.
what on earth would i start with? help!! there is a little dust here and there in it.
Feed back please Feed back please Feed back please

Post some pictures.:Picture:

ScottB
12-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Likely a finishing pad (LC -- grey or blue) and some finishing polish. You are essentially amping the surface. If paint was not heat dryed ... then give it around 90 days to be safe. During that time you can use a true carnauba (pure) to protect, but stay away from cleaners, polishes, and harsh solvents.

Al-53
12-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Taken from the 3M site...

Fresh paint - Paint applied in an automotive collision repair shop (refinish paint) that has not fully cured. Refinish paints are deemed fresh for 30 days after application. Most paint manufacturers do not recommend applying a wax to fresh paint as the wax will seal in some of the evaporating solvents causing loss of gloss.

Glaze - A polish that is safe for use on fresh paints. Some glazes contain a mild abrasive that will remove minor surface imperfections. When a glaze with an abrasive is used, it should be followed by application of wax on cured paint or a hand glaze on fresh paint. A glaze also does not contain silicone.

from another site

To maintain your cars fresh paint during the recommended curing time you can safely use any of the below Meguiar's pure polishes, which are not only safe for fresh paint but help to enhance the curing process while making your paint look it's absolute best.

M-03 Machine Glaze

M-05 New Car Glaze

M-07 Show Car Glaze

M-81 Hand Polish

A-21 Deep Crystal Polish

AL

ltoman
12-28-2006, 12:06 AM
thank you!
i will post photos tomorrow.:awesome:

trhland
12-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Likely a finishing pad (LC -- grey or blue) and some finishing polish. You are essentially amping the surface. If paint was not heat dryed ... then give it around 90 days to be safe. During that time you can use a true carnauba (pure) to protect, but stay away from cleaners, polishes, and harsh solvents.thats a nice vett killr. is that yours?and have you done any mods to it??

ScottB
12-28-2006, 07:29 AM
thats a nice vett killr. is that yours?and have you done any mods to it??

Couple ... my previous Vette got wrecked by one of our senior population and none of the custom work was covered. So I have stayed pretty calm on this one. Its got a Halltech, Corsa Exhaust, Xpipe, 3.42s, tuning and Iforged 3 piece wheels... will look to heads/cam package once warranty expires and some LG long tubes. Taking the TM (Torque Mgmt) out of the car made the biggest difference. Need new rear tires at 7000 miles.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT0049.JPG