PDA

View Full Version : Variable Contact pads for 3401

Pages : [1] 2

Black Car
03-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Can I use the 5.5 pads with the original flex backing plate or do i have to go up to the 6.5?

CEE DOG
03-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Can I use the 5.5 pads with the original flex backing plate or do i have to go up to the 6.5?

You can use the 5.5" pads with the original plate but it's not a good idea unless you like to live on the edge or you never make mistakes. In wide open flat panel areas there isn't any issue but at that point there is no reason not to use a 6 1/2" pad with the Flex since it has forced rotation.

I bought some 5 1/2" pads and used them. In fact I did it on my Sky. Near tight curves it is really living on the edge!! Anyways, theres not really any reason to use them so I gave them away and use all 6 1/2" pads with the original plate. If I need to get tighter I use my adapter with 4" pads.

Black Car
03-10-2011, 12:07 PM
thanks cee dawg. i don't have an adapter so i'm looking for a solution to hitting those tight spots. I've never used a DA so i'll probably be making a lot of mistakes. That's why i'm practicing all of 2011 before i offer paint corrections in 2012. Oh my poor audi. That and my wife's honda will truly be taking one for the team.

what do you think is the best solution for me where i only have the original backing plate? Kompressors?

CEE DOG
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
You got it buddy. Check this out. Its a little small for a 4" pad and a little large for a 5 1/2" pad but... FLEX XC3401 Mini 4 3/8 Backing Plate, FLEX (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-mini-backing-plate.html)
Using a 4" pad you would have to be carefull with it but you could use 5" pads on it for sure. I haven't used the kompressor pads so I can't help you with that one.
If I were you I would pick up some Hydro Tech pads in all 3 colors (but especially the cyan and tangerine) I would also pick up a 2 pack of 6 1/2" SURBUFF pads. Then for your more aggressive combo on the real scratchy swirly messes I would do some testing with the cyan pads and the surbuff pads. The tangerine HT pads are no question and I really like the crimson as well. Then I would get some Flat LC blue or red pads. You only need a couple of those. If you get that other backing plate I linked then you need some pads for that as well.

So 6 1/2" pads: (Keep in mind the qty's I guess down there should be looked at more as ratios relative to each other. I have no idea how many cars you plan to do at a time so no clue how many pads you need but I might go small like this to make sure you like them.

SurBuff They come in a 2 pack and you can test a couple out.
HT Cyan (4-5 pads)
HT Tangerine (4-5)
HT Crimson (2-3)
LC Flat Gray (1)
LC FLat Blue or Red (2-3)

Black Car
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
i dont know how many cars i plan to do either...hopefully a lot. if you're talking about now just mine and wifey's. I actually have all of those 6.5 pads that you mentioned above, surbufs, hydro, etc. when i come into more $$$ i'll probably grab that new backing plate.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
PM "tuscarora dave". He uses VC pads on his Flex 3401. Kompressors are designed for rotaries. HT pads yield nice results, but crumble away too quickly, especially with the Flex's forced rotation.

CEE DOG
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I used a VC pad but it was a 6 1/2".

Sorry I missed the point!!! Thanks Mark

As far as VC pads go I don't think the shell of the 5 1/2" VC pad will fit. The 6 1/2" fit just right.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I used a VC pad but it was a 6 1/2".

Sorry I missed the point!!! Thanks Mark

As far as VC pads go I don't think the shell of the 5 1/2" VC pad will fit. The 6 1/2" fit just right.
:dblthumb2:

The 5.5" VC pads that poorboysworld.com sell will work with the Flex 3401. :)

poorboysworld.com (http://poorboysworld.com)

I'm not sure if this link is ok to post?

VISITOR
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
poorboys has some 5.5" curved edge variable contact pads (VC) for the flex. go to their site and check it out...

CEE DOG
03-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Hmm, maybe the one I used was 5 1/2"? I'm finally sitting down after a long day or I would go measure it!

It fit just like the one in that picture so that must be it.

Black Car
03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
LOL!!! i already ordered the 5.5 VC pads off the poorboys site earlier today! and i already have the HT pads. i got them on that xmas special 3 for 20. primo deal.

i created this thread last night when i was putting the order together. Actually Steve over at PB's helped me out BIG time. Great customer service over there.

Thanks for the advice. Tusca Dave has been helping me out a lot too. I thank you and my audi thanks you.

CEE DOG
03-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Those Hts on special for Christmas were GREAT weren't they! What a deal!

mxfly
03-11-2011, 06:15 AM
PM "tuscarora dave". He uses VC pads on his Flex 3401. Kompressors are designed for rotaries. HT pads yield nice results, but crumble away too quickly, especially with the Flex's forced rotation.

I've used plenty of Kompressor pads on a 3401 and never had any issues. I'm using the 6" pads.

Bunky
03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Hmm, maybe the one I used was 5 1/2"? I'm finally sitting down after a long day or I would go measure it!

It fit just like the one in that picture so that must be it.

The ones sold by Steve are sold as "5.5-inch" but they are 6.5-in pads. This is what I sent you. The pocket on the backing plate size is 5.5-in.

CEE DOG
03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
The ones sold by Steve are sold as "5.5-inch" but they are 6.5-in pads. This is what I sent you. The pocket on the backing plate size is 5.5-in.

Thanks Al!! Now it all makes sense. I was starting to think I was coo-coo.