PDA

View Full Version : Guide to taping off a car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mchant
03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Guide to taping off a car (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/33427-guide-taping-off-car.html)

I was wondering if anyone had a guide that specifically explains how to tape off a car. Including, what to tape off, where, etc..

I've only detailed my car so far, and I have to admit my taping job was horrible, and I left product in the crevices.

If anyone has a thread or can post a how to I would appreciate it.

-Matthew C.

Russ@Xclusive
03-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I never seen an actual guide but just think about it. Tape off what can be stained, damaged, scuffed, or you just don't want to polish. Trim, hood scoops, sharp edges, lights, grills, ect.

fancyfootwork
03-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I never seen an actual guide but just think about it. Tape off what can be stained, damaged, scuffed, or you just don't want to polish. Trim, hood scoops, sharp edges, lights, grills, ect.

He already said it.. but furthermore.. basically everything besides the paint surface you will be buffing. Black trim especially, don't want to dull it out. Taping isn't just to protect your buffing, it can also prolong the life of your pads.. catching a snag piece of plastic can tear your pad and greatly diminish its life.

phoneguy44
03-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Man, I was going to ask the same question !!

ExoticAutoDetai
03-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Same here I would love to learn to tape better and new techniques all though I don't think I am that bad but would love to get better in taping.

Exotic Auto Detail via tapatalk

C. Charles Hahn
03-09-2011, 11:15 PM
You guys must not have looked at the Pay-Per-View videos AG has featuring Mike Phillips.

https://aspdn-02.onstreammedia.com/palmbeachmotoring/
https://aspdn-02.onstreammedia.com/palmbeachmotoring/addtocart.aspx?productid=245

mchant
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Never knew he had video lessons for sale, but at $14.99.. I'll just stick with my own trial and error process. Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming if you have additional instruction. :xyxthumbs:

FastZR1
03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Oh man... many of those videos were free to view a year or two ago. They are some good videos and watching them when I first started help to teach me a lot. I pretty much learned most of my techniques watching the free videos. Too bad we have to pay for them now but I do understand the business.

DLB
03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a guide that specifically explains how to tape off a car. Including, what to tape off, where, etc..

I've only detailed my car so far, and I have to admit my taping job was horrible, and I left product in the crevices.

If anyone has a thread or can post a how to I would appreciate it.

-Matthew C.

Man, I was going to ask the same question !!

Same here I would love to learn to tape better and new techniques all though I don't think I am that bad but would love to get better in taping.

I sent a PM to you guys.

DLB

ExoticAutoDetai
03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks DLB I will check it out.

SeaJay's
03-10-2011, 02:24 PM
I honestly think that practice makes perfect. The first couple of times I taped off a car it wasn't very good. The first car I did I taped too much. As I wanted to be extra careful. Now that I've done a few cars I've learned how to tape rather well and what to tape. I also have sped up my taping.

Cman8
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey DLB Send me a pm with the info too, I also wouldnt mind learning some good techniques.

wildjyoung
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I would like to be included as well. I can always learn and get better!

Joz132
03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I would like to be included as well. I can always learn and get better!

Me too.

Thanks in advance

bigdaddybama
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Guess I'll ask for the pm too! If get a chance.