PDA

View Full Version : RV question

Pages : [1] 2

Desert Detail & More
03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a customer of mine who wants me to clean his 33ft RV. It is a fiberglass body, two tone with graphics. It has oxidation, with the clear flaking off, and some spider cracking. He isnt looking for some top of the line buff job, just something to keep his investment lasting a long time. I was looking at the meguairs RV care kit, do you think that is good, or go better. I looking at buying the PC 7424XP this friday. Now we are trading some work so I want to get the job done with killing myself.

Perfections
03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
You need that pc, before you try and tackle that project, trust me, lol, the Meg's stuff is decent and will get that rv back in shape, they sell a one step compound for fiberglass/gelcoat that rocks on oxidation

Desert Detail & More
03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
So with the clear flaking off should I hit it with the DA or buff by hand.

Bates Detailing
03-09-2011, 10:43 PM
So with the clear flaking off should I hit it with the DA or buff by hand.

Clearcoat!?!??! If you polish a fiberglass trailer (which I am assuming you mean) it won't last long...... you need a sealant to fill the holes of the fiberglass..... otherwise the wax or polish will only last for MAYBE a month. It is almost impossible IMO to restore fiberglass to its original sheen...... but then again maybe I am behind in that department?!?!!? I offer RV dealerships a deal that I will detail there Class A's or C's for X amount of dollars...... (most are painted surfaces by the way in that class) and if they toss 2 or more I will knock out a trailer or 5th wheel for free...... which many are fiberglass in that class - only because I will go to town on those trailers with a soap/wax and a brush. I never use the brushes on painted surfaces..... only the fiberglass surfaces.

Desert Detail & More
03-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Clearcoat!?!??! If you polish a fiberglass trailer (which I am assuming you mean) it won't last long...... you need a sealant to fill the holes of the fiberglass..... otherwise the wax or polish will only last for MAYBE a month. It is almost impossible IMO to restore fiberglass to its original sheen...... but then again maybe I am behind in that department?!?!!? I offer RV dealerships a deal that I will detail there Class A's or C's for X amount of dollars...... (most are painted surfaces by the way in that class) and if they toss 2 or more I will knock out a trailer or 5th wheel for free...... which many are fiberglass in that class - only because I will go to town on those trailers with a soap/wax and a brush. I never use the brushes on painted surfaces..... only the fiberglass surfaces.
Class A RV, it looks like a clear. Example. The clear is coming off my mother fiberglass body kit on her conversion van. Just trying to some what shine her up.

Bates Detailing
03-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Class A RV, it looks like a clear. The clear is coming off my mother fiberglass body kit on her conversion van. Just trying to some what shine her up.

Have any pics?!?!?!? If Im not mistaken - and please anyone comment if I am wrong here.... but their is no clearcoat..... only a gelcoat. Thats why fiberglass dulls fairly quick. Toss some pics up if possible.

Kristopher1129
03-09-2011, 10:55 PM
I typically do a one step on RVs just due to their size. I usually choose either Megs Oxidation Remover, or a marine sealant that I use on all fiberglass. It really depends on the condition. If he's not completely concerned about the condition of the fiberglass...then I would just lay a sealant on the whole thing using the PC and call it a day.

If he wants to get crazy, he could do both. The whole clearcoat thing...I don't understand. I thought all RVs had a soft gel coat. I've never seen clear coat peeling off of an RV...I don't know whatsup with that. But then again, I've never digged to deep for RV information. I just consider myself to know the basics. I hate doing them! lol

Bates Detailing
03-09-2011, 10:59 PM
The other thing that is confusing me - - - - - -you said it is a class A..... but you also said it is a conversion van?!?!?! Confused here?!?!?! Toss some pics up bro!

Kristopher1129
03-09-2011, 11:01 PM
The other thing that is confusing me - - - - - -you said it is a class A..... but you also said it is a conversion van?!?!?! Confused here?!?!?! Toss some pics up bro!

Just ship it to B&B :dblthumb2:

Desert Detail & More
03-09-2011, 11:02 PM
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt208/mikes02ls1/SU1HMDAwNzgtMjAxMTAzMDktMTgxOS5qcGc.jpg
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt208/mikes02ls1/SU1HMDAwODAtMjAxMTAzMDktMTgyMi5qcGc.jpg

Desert Detail & More
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Sorry was giving another example using my mothers conversion van, that has a fiberglass body kit with some kind of clear coming off.

Bates Detailing
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Just ship it to B&B :dblthumb2:

LOL - thanx Kris !!!!

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt208/mikes02ls1/SU1HMDAwNzgtMjAxMTAzMDktMTgxOS5qcGc.jpg
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt208/mikes02ls1/SU1HMDAwODAtMjAxMTAzMDktMTgyMi5qcGc.jpg

Looks like the decals are coming off bro..... just from looking at the pics though.

Desert Detail & More
03-09-2011, 11:06 PM
No that is on the front bumper, decals are on the side, and yes flaking and coming off.

Bates Detailing
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
No that is on the front bumper, decals are on the side, and yes flaking and coming off.

Almost positive that those on the front are decals as well...... I was not born in the RV industry though lol. I have done maybe 100 + RVs and from my experience, I would say it is still decals. Anyone please help me out here lol!

Desert Detail & More
03-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Almost positive that those on the front are decals as well...... I was not born in the RV industry though lol. I have done maybe 100 + RVs and from my experience, I would say it is still decals. Anyone please help me out here lol!
Thats weird cause my mothers front bumper on her van is doing the same thing...LOL