PDA

View Full Version : Two coats of paint sealant...good idea?

JCKarlo
03-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Are there any recommendations against applying two coats of paint sealant (specifically the Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0)...by which I mean to apply a first thin coat of sealant, buff off after 30-45 minutes, then apply another thin layer--theoretically having a thicker overall layer of protection.

Is that a good idea? Or is it more of a waste of product and time (given the idea that either the sealant doesn't bond with sealant, or applying a second layer abrades the first layer of sealant)?

termigator
03-08-2011, 11:18 PM
In theory, a layer of sealant should bond on top of another layer. However, it won't bond on top of a layer of wax. Personally, I don't see a difference between one or two layers, but I've always heard the main reason for two layers is to make sure the car gets even coverage.

AeroCleanse
03-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Not sure about WDG 3.0, but when I use UPGP, I apply 3 layers 12hrs apart when I start.

ShineTimeDetail
03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Wolfgangs cure time is 12 hours. Apply one coat today one cost tomorrow. Then a coat of fuzion the following day LOL....also I had a problem here in Florida because once the sunset dew formed on the car. Don't let the paint get any moisture within 12 hours

ROMEO
03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Most people will tell you to wait 12-24 hours between coats and that applies for sealers and waxes.

Now, I have to tell you that I have done 2 coats 30 mins to an hour apart... I'm sure I ended up wasting some product, but I knew I was not gonna be able to do a second coat the next day.

just like I have put sealer on top of wax too... ( I guess that now I will get kick out of the forum...)

Blackthorn One
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
You need to wait 12 hours for the first coat of sealant to cure, otherwise the solvents in the second coat will just dissolve the first coat right off, and you will end up with only one coat. I like applying 2 coats of WGDGPS. I think it looks richer. Only downside is you use twice as much as doing one coat.

JCKarlo
03-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks very much for the replies! I like this forum =)

Blackthorn One
03-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks very much for the replies! I like this forum =)

One more thing. WGDGPS cure time is at least 45 minutes before buffing off, not 30-45. It makes a big difference in your results as far as longevity, looks and slickness. 45 minutes-1 hour is what I do. I have even gone 2-3 hours, and the excess is still easy to remove. I do not like to wait longer than an hour though, because the more time it sits on the car past what is needed, the greater a chance there is of pieces of dirt floating onto the un buffed sealant, which would increase the chance of causing scratches when buffing it off. Mike Philips did a really great video about how to apply WGDGPS on the Autogeek website, BTW.

How to Apply Waxes and Paint Sealants (http://www.autogeek.net/video-wax.html)

JCKarlo
03-09-2011, 01:08 AM
One more thing. WGDGPS cure time is at least 45 minutes before buffing off, not 30-45. It makes a big difference in your results as far as longevity, looks and slickness. 45 minutes-1 hour is what I do. I have even gone 2-3 hours, and the excess is still easy to remove. I do not like to wait longer than an hour though, because the more time it sits on the car past what is needed, the greater a chance there is of pieces of dirt floating onto the un buffed sealant, which would increase the chance of causing scratches when buffing it off. Mike Philips did a really great video about how to apply WGDGPS on the Autogeek website, BTW.

How to Apply Waxes and Paint Sealants (http://www.autogeek.net/video-wax.html)

Gotcha...I do always wait around 45+ mins since like you I figure waiting longer is better. I also do the finger streak test =)

gewb
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Are there any recommendations against applying two coats of paint sealant (specifically the Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0)...by which I mean to apply a first thin coat of sealant, buff off after 30-45 minutes, then apply another thin layer--theoretically having a thicker overall layer of protection.

Is that a good idea? Or is it more of a waste of product and time (given the idea that either the sealant doesn't bond with sealant, or applying a second layer abrades the first layer of sealant)?

Two coats = good idea (ensures full coverage)

"Thick coat" = bad idea

Sealants and waxes should be applied as thin as possible for two reasons:

1) The final coat (once properly buffed) is only a few molecules in thickness

2) Removing a thick dried coat can be difficult; if not removed down to that final thin coat the surface can appear streaked, wavey, etc. It is also a waste of product.

Regards,
GEWB

Black Car
03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
I always apply 2 coats of 3.0 when i use it on my own car but i leave it on for an hour before i buff off and yes, definitely wait 12 hours before putting the 2nd coat on.

CEE DOG
03-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Whether or not you are wasting product depends on the sealant. Using 2 layers is almost always a good idea. After that I think that its a waste with some sealants.

With UPGP it is not a waste. I can literally see a difference with the 3rd coat... Or I could be crazy but I am honestly sure there is a difference.

With WGDGPS 3.0 (2) coats is a fine idea. As others have said.... Apply it very thin, wait, buff off, wait till cure, and repeat.

Rola
03-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Hi All, just registered! Great forum and excellent thread.
I come to share my experience regarding cure time. Yesterday I applied on my 97 sl500 a coat of wolfgang 3.0 DGPS after applying wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer (as instructed).

I had to leave the sealant for 24 hs since I could not buff it off and had to leave for work. I just came home and buffered it. I had a hard time in some spots buffering it off, which I resolve by using a terry cloth (old towel) rather than a microfiber.

But what I wanted to share is that in a 20inx20in spot the clearcoat seemed to be coming of. Lots of pin head shaped clear spots are showing. Anyone knows way did this happen? Is it possible that the car was repainted in that spot? And final question: shall I go ahead and apply second coat of sealant? Needless to say that I cannot feel the spots with my fingernail so I presume they are resting below the sealant.

I am attaching some pictures.

Thanks in advance,
Roy

Klasse Act
03-21-2016, 07:42 PM
OP, your choice of sealant is a VERY, VERY good one! If you wanna layer it you really should wait 12 hours and after doing so at the very least do a wash or waterless wash on the car before doing the 2nd coat.

If you wanted to or needed to layer right away products from Duragloss will be what you need. They have a product called Polish Bonding Agent (#601) and when mixed at a 4:1 ratio (4 parts their sealant and 1 part the PBA) lets you be able to layer without waiting. Not only are you able to layer right away but it makes the sealant stronger as well. Speaking of those sealants, well the purest one of them all is their #111, followed by #105 and #101. They also have a good cleaner/wax type product called #501 that's always a good one to start with after a wash or after you've done paint correction, the use of #601 in all of these products just makes them THAT MUCH better.

Good luck with your project and if you go with DG products you'll be happy, its been a forum favorite in the 5+ years I've been here and I have all of them in my collection:dblthumb2:

dakotaRT
03-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Definitely can't go wrong with two coats of Paint Sealant.
I always see a difference when I apply it on my RT. You also get even coverage on everywhere..